Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, in the interests of full disclosure, let me say that I am pretty neutral about Jennifer Capriati.

At the beginning of her career, she received an immense build up by the tennis press, which probably made it almost impossible for her to live up to expectations. For several years, NBC would promote its French Open and Wimbledon coverage over and over again with the line "Young American Jennifer Capriati goes for her first grand slam victory."

The media overkill in and of itself was almost enough to turn you against her.

Then, of course, she had her well documented personal problems and the same media that had adored her turned on her and portrayed her as a girl who was practically a serial killer. You saw her police mug shot in every newspaper and magazine in the country. John Dillinger, the 1930s bank bandit, never got that much coverage.

When she came back, she didn't do well for quite awhile, and the press peppered her with questions about her past, leading to that famous press conference in which she cried and asked to be left alone. That began the press' real dislike of her.

But then she won a slam, and suddenly, all was forgiven. The media leaped on the Capriati bandwagon, essentially because "redemption" stories sell newspapers and magazines. So, she was the comeback kid.

Of course, that seemed to all end in Australia last year and since she hasn't won a tournament since, she is no longer hot copy except when she does something wrong.

I was NOT at last year's Fed Cup incident, so I don't know any more about what happened than anyone else.

The big thing that struck me at the time was, Capriati was dismissed from the team for wanting to do additional practicing on her own time. In a sport where not everyone is praised for their work ethic, I found this rather surpising.

There obviously was a lot more to the story than that and apparently, some very harsh words were exchanged between Jennifer and Billie Jean King. And Jennifer's teammates were not too complimentary to her over the incident. That includes Monica and most of us have some respect for Monica.

Jennifer's side of the story, as I remember it, was that she was NOT told about the "rules" until she got to the tournament and since she was there and wanted to play, she signed the paper.

So, there is no question that she should have lived by that decision.

But in the end, I found myself asking the question, "What was the point of this, no extra practice rule?" I have never heard of anything like it.

I also know that every player has his or her own practice routine and their own way of preparing for a match. Tennis, despite what Billie Jean wants, is by nature NOT a team sport, because except for doubles, there isn't a team out there. It's just you and your opponent.

So, does a top player want to change everything he or she does all year long just for one week's worth of tennis? Why? What is the point? Why would you perform better for that one week by disrupting your entire training and practice routine?

I have not heard any answers to these questions.

So, now, this year's team is formed and Jennifer, who we are told made herself available, was not chosen. Fine, so be it. Life moves on. However Billie Jean has issued this public challenge for Jenn to come in an apologize to her, or words to that effect.

And the team, I suspect through BJ, is now putting out stories about how much more pleasant things are without her. That could be the case for all I know, but what's the point of this kind of catty behavior?

Why try to humiliate Capriatie a year later? Who profits from this? And what does last year have to do with this year?

If BJ wanted to talk to Capriati, why not just get in touch? I'm sure she can get Jenn's phone number from somebody.

Why this public statement demanding that Jenn come in and sit down and "talk like champions."

I guess BJ meant she was a champion, too, and I think that's where some of the problem lies. This seemed at the time to be more about ego than anything else and it still looks like an issue of ego to me.

Others may disagree and hope that those who do, post their reasons.

But I can only say this, BJ is NOT always the selfless person she makes herself out to be and I think this is one occasion where she has misused her power. Unfortunately, we seem to be living through a stretch right now when people and nations are sometimes misusing their power.

You don't use a sledge hammer to swat a flie. That seems to me to be what is happening in the Jennifer Capriati case.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
my god tonyp u r a genius.now if only u had said all that in the other thread to shutup all the haters :)

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Great post. Two things in particular stand out, which for some reason very few people have picked up on:

1) Fed Cup may be a team event, but it's an entirely artificial one. Tennis is simply not a team sport. You don't need a team atmosphere (doubles excepted) to win Fed Cup. The singles players can hate each others' guts and still win. Whether or not there was a 'team atmosphere' should be irrelevant to how each individual player plays, and if Seles and Shaughnessy let the whole debacle affect their play, that reflects more on them than Capriati.

2) How many times have you heard players say that they can't work with people outside of their own circle? From the Williams sisters to Iva Majoli, the vast majority don't like to change the coaching system they grew up with. As Tony P said - why change that for one week?

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
If Jennnifer had merely objected to the rule and tried to get it changed, there would be no problem. Something could have been worked out.

But she cursed BJK out in public, in a hotel lobby, at the top of her lungs, and no captain of any team can allow that.

This was reported by reliable witnesses. And to make matters worse, her father participated in the screaming match and backed her up.

The whole team was adversely affected by Jennifer's behavior and attitude! It was NOT just a problem for BJK herself. And it is for this reason that I believe that BJK did the right thing -- NOT because of the dispute itself.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
But she cursed BJK out in public, in a hotel lobby, at the top of her lungs, and no captain of any team can allow that.

just out of interest does anyone know exactly what jenny said. i dont no y but the idea of jenny swearing and screaming and cursing at the top of her lungs makes me laff!!!!

GO JENNY

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
abbysulc said:

just out of interest does anyone know exactly what jenny said. i dont no y but the idea of jenny swearing and screaming and cursing at the top of her lungs makes me laff!!!!

GO JENNY
it makes u larf, it makes me something else!! ;) ;) :drool: :drool:
and i thought the AO2002 final was essential veiwing, how i would love to have on video the abuse that bjk must have heard!! :D :lick: :devil:

so what exactly did she say then? to everyone that knows jen swore her haed off, what words did she use? please tell me, how many "fucks" were there per sentence? :lick: dont spose the hotel lobby has cctv duz it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
441 Posts
janie said:
If Jennnifer had merely objected to the rule and tried to get it changed, there would be no problem. Something could have been worked out.

This was reported by reliable witnesses. And to make matters worse, her father participated in the screaming match and backed her up.

The whole team was adversely affected by Jennifer's behavior and attitude! It was NOT just a problem for BJK herself. And it is for this reason that I believe that BJK did the right thing -- NOT because of the dispute itself.

Your right this type of behavior is wrong, even if you are a hot head. However as being someone who had to give an appology to my college coach in a hotel lobby I total understand the situation.

Furthermore, as I've stated Jen was wrong for doing that but to call someone out in the press....come on now, someone has to be the bigger person. If BJK wants to handle it like "champions" do, then she should have been the bigger person and done in privately.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
You have to hand it to Jen. She's the only one creating interest in the Fed Cup. It's probably why BJK brought it up again, because otherwise it's clear the media wouldn't give a toss.

It gave the Cup coverage, something which is severely lacking. I wouldn't be suprised if BJK orchestrated it for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Did you ever think that maybe Capriati and her handlers don't want to talk to BJK? And that's why BJK issued this challenge?

Sorry, Tony I know you are trying to rationalize what happened, but IMO it's cut and dry.

Jen didn't like the rules, she tried to change them much to the CAPTAINS demise and she got the boot. And I don't understand why it's so suprising for you to grasp a rule that promotes team unity.
Futhermore, I feel as though Jen should apologize and get this behind her because it was BJK's team and she is the captain.

If you don't follow rules on any team, you get penalized or the boot in any other professional sport. And yes, tennis is indivialistic however when working in a team enviornment you are required to adjust to your surrondings. And if Jen could not handle that then maybe she should of not participated in fed cup.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Don't you remember, BJK and the USTA DID try to keep it all out of the press at the time. But some journalists rightly refused to go along with the gag order. After it all came out despite efforts to squelch the story, THAT is when the team members spoke up in support of BJK. It's not like BJK, Monica, or Meghann ran to the press to tattle on naughty Jen.

I don't know all of what Jennifer said, but it did include "F- you". ;)

This can probably all be found in Tennis Week archives for those who forget (and want to know) these details.

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
veryborednow said:
You have to hand it to Jen. She's the only one creating interest in the Fed Cup. It's probably why BJK brought it up again, because otherwise it's clear the media wouldn't give a toss.

It gave the Cup coverage, something which is severely lacking. I wouldn't be suprised if BJK orchestrated it for that purpose.
Really? Ticket sales are at an all time high with the Williams sisters playing. So, I guess this theory of the Jen controversy creating interest in Fed Cup is false.

Also it's a given that this topic will come up everytime the U.S. plays Fed Cup, because Jen's the comeback kid. It's the same with the Williams and Indian Wells, every year the whole fiasco comes up. It's just the nature of the media, and fans alike.

·
10,772 Posts
Ticket sales are at an all time high with the Williams sisters playing
They didn't play last year.... when the event happened.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't really think it is Billie Jean King's team. I think she may see it that way, but in reality it is the USTA's team and she is employed as coach.

Anyway, my point is that this year's team has already been selected. Jennifer made herself available and was NOT chosen. So, fine. The team that was chosen is perfectly adequate to get the job done. Why not focus on them, rather than generating more press controversy over an incident that happened last year?

Women's tennis always seems to be a sport where there is more emphasis on "behavior" than on athletics. That is the way a big portion of the press wants it, because the press is less interested in what goes on on court than what goes on in the lockerroom. Why play into that male bias about women's sports?

Women's tennis is also a sport that has trouble forgetting the past and just moving on. Holding a grudge is not something a person in Billie Jean King's position should be doing. BJ is old enough to forgive and forget.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
janie said:
Janie. Monica and Meghann are professional tennis players. Monica's played through her father's death and been able to return after a traumatic stabbing. Meghann's dealt with general and USTA-specific opprobrium re: her relationship with her coach. Frankly, I don't believe that they couldn't block out Jennifer's misbehaviour. If they couldn't, they're lesser tennis players than I thought.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Well in my mind there's no doubt that Jennifer's early exit has nothing to do with the Fed Cup loss that time. The opponents were tough and were better on the day. Suggesting that the trauma of JenCap's departure is to blame is stretching excuses to new limits.

One year on though, it's a shame that Capriati hasn't been forgiven. Although at the time I felt that JenCap perhaps was as much at fault as BJK in her departure it is surely time to get over all that.

Not that it suprises me at all though that little is being resolved - BJK is far from the impartial tennis icon that everyone makes her out to be. To have been as powerful a believer in all the things she has argued for in the past she has to have her own biases and stubborness, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to argue her numerous points.

For that same reason though, I suspect that BJK isn't going to back down and little is going to be resolved in the end. She has a whole army of people agreeing with her purely because of who she is and the respect they have for her. This of course will only flatter her ego further and make her believe she's right. So JenCap has two choices : crawl back or stand firm. I know which one I'd chose.

·
7,996 Posts
For everyone toting the William's bandwagon like a friggin cross should take care to note that we never see them willing to give up a couple weeks of their time to play Fed Cup in a NON-olympic year...If I were BJK I would not even have picked the Williams if they just use the Fed Cup every four years to get tot he olympics....that said it is the Williams perogative(sp?) to do what they want if they can get away with it =P

·
Registered
711 Posts
Harloo, I totally agree
"Also it's a given that this topic will come up everytime the U.S. plays Fed Cup, because Jen's the comeback kid. It's the same with the Williams and Indian Wells, every year the whole fiasco comes up. It's just the nature of the media, and fans alike."

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
janie said:

Oh come on. I find it hard to believe that Jenny C would curse at someone in public. :angel:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ratel wrote:
For everyone toting the William's bandwagon like a friggin cross should take care to note that we never see them willing to give up a couple weeks of their time to play Fed Cup in a NON-olympic year...If I were BJK I would not even have picked the Williams if they just use the Fed Cup every four years to get tot he olympics....that said it is the Williams perogative(sp?) to do what they want if they can get away with it =P
=====================

That's why small minded people like you never make it in big in life :p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts