Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Canberra Classic
Past Champions
S1: Anna Smashnova
S2: Alicia Molik
S3: Justine Henin-Hardenne
Welcome to Canberra, the re-start of the WGTA! Because not all the players signed up in the "everyone in here" post, the draw will come out on Wednesday. Points are also due on Wednesday. Draw as well as play will begin. I don't have time to babysit anymore, so I won't be spending in pm's to players without points. If you go three events without sending in 1-new points or 2-points, you will retire and won't be able to rejoin for a month :)

Good luck!​

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
Who won Canberra in the 4th season? Queen Daniela remembers that she won the last major (Australian Open) before the tour ended. Quite fitting indeed, first to win and last to win a major.

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
~foolish~ said:
We didn't start Season Four :)

Daniela won the last major played, beating Kournikova 75 26 64 in the finals of the US Open
Pffft! *pouts* Oh wait, pouting gives Queen Daniela wrinkles. *grins*

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
Venus Readying For WGTA's Return!
Former Champion Excited To Be Back!

(CANBERRA) - 6-Time WGTA Champion and U.S. Open Champion Venus Williams has begun her training regimen for the come back of the infamous WGTA. Venus has been with WGTA since the beginning, but for a brief period she was playing as Mary Pierce when someone stole her identity. Nevertheless, Williams is excited to be back with her old friends. Venus is going to aim high once again and her goals for Season 4 are to become #1 and to win another slam. Will Williams be able to recapture the form she once had? Stay tuned to WGTA as the drama unfolds.

"I'm extremely relieved to be back because I was worried my career on WGTA was over, but we have all returned and it's a very exciting time. I have some pretty high goals this year, so we'll have to see how things pan out. I'm just happy to be back, training, traveling, and hopefully soon...winning."

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
Tennis great Hantuchova seeks another successful season

Tennis superstar Daniela Hantuchova seen glaring at the linesperson for calling the ball out during the finals of the Australian Open against Monica Seles. The controversial call would decide the match as Hantuchova never recovered. Seles would win in a 3 ½ hour 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 thriller.[/blue]

Heralded as the greatest tennis player to have ever played the game, the tall, elegant Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia returns this week to her domain now that the WGTA Tour has returned.

“I’m quite thrilled the tour is back. I miss playing against some of the better players on the tour, Monica, Anna Smashnova and Venus. I’m back and definitely ready to continue my winning ways.”

Hantuchova, regarded as a tennis legend by sportswriters and tennis commentators all over the world despite her young age of only 21 years old, dominated the tour since the very beginning, winning the first major, the Australian Open, over Serena Williams 7-5, 7-5 and the last major, the U.S. Open, a thrilling three-set match over Russian Anna Kournikova 7-5, 2-6, 6-4.

“I think I should have won more majors, the U.S. Open against Venus and the last Australian Open versus Monica but I just could not close it out. I tried to end the points too quickly because I was injured during those two particular matches. But that’s life.”

Throughout her three seasons on the tour, Hantuchova became the winningest all-around player. The Slovakian won 6 singles titles (two AUSTRALIAN OPEN, a U.S. OPEN, Sydney, Eastbourne and New Haven), 14 doubles titles (AUSTRALIAN OPEN, ROLAND GARROS, WIMBLEDON, undefeated in Rome in three trips, 2 Canberra, 2 Eastbourne, Berlin, Amelia Island, Sydney and Zurich) and 3 mixed doubles majors (two AUSTRALIAN OPENs and a WIMBLEDON).

“Success came so quickly for me, not that that’s anything new. I was born a champion. I am a champion. I will continue to be a champion. My record speaks for itself. I am the best the world has ever seen.”

Hantuchova has a 5-10, 14-4 and a 3-4 record in singles, doubles and mixed doubles finals and spent over 30+ and 20+ weeks on top of the singles and doubles rankings. She ended Season 3 as the top-ranked singles, doubles and mixed doubles players.

“As for my goals this season, I won’t reveal all but maybe I can win the U.S. Open doubles to complete my career Doubles Grand Slam. I would love to win it."

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,316 Posts
Stevenson Set for Season to Start

Canberra (AP) - Former 2-time Slam semifinalist Alexandra Stevenson arrived in Canberra, Australia today.

Stevenson: "I'm so excited that the WGTA tour is back!!!! I missed everything about the tour, the tennis, the wins, losses, the drama, everything! I'm just so happy that we're getting ready to start another season. I hope that WGTA is here to stay for a long time."

Stevenson begins play on Wednesday.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
~foolish~ said:
We didn't start Season Four :)

Daniela won the last major played, beating Kournikova 75 26 64 in the finals of the US Open
That's not true. We started with Antwerp and Scottsdale at the beginning of season 4, both of which crowned champions. We then stopped after that.

The only reason I know that is because Anna would've become number one if the rankings had come out after that week ;)

·
Registered
25,276 Posts
Mikey said:
That's not true. We started with Antwerp and Scottsdale at the beginning of season 4, both of which crowned champions. We then stopped after that.

The only reason I know that is because Anna would've become number one if the rankings had come out after that week ;)
yeah and I believe that I won Antwerp without losing a set

·
Registered
832 Posts
TatiAnnahølic said:
yeah and I believe that I won Antwerp without losing a set
My memory is just as fabulous as me Hun. You as Marrero beat Coetzer in three sets to win Antwerp, and Evert beat Hantuchova and Capriati to win Scottsdale.
Another thing, we had already starting using the new points in season 4, where we had more points to use. Now are we going back to old 100/90/80/70? or using the new 130/120/110/100?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.