Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Season Two: The Canberra Classic
Defending Champion: Anna Smashnova (retired)

Welcome to season 2 of the WGTA. The first event is getting under way and a lot of questions are buzzing around.

Will Hantuchova, world's #1, win another title? Will Kournikova continue her dominance? Will Seles' good play continue?

Welcome Lindsay Davenport and Steffi Graf to the tour this week as well!

Singles Draw
http://www.i2.ca/tournawiz/16draw.php?id=17&uid=tennisilove09

Doubles Draw
Venus Williams/Serena Williams (1) vs. Lindsay Davenport/Steffi Graf
Monica Seles/Anna Kournikova vs Magdalena Grzybowska/Martina Hingis
Alicia Molik/Tamarine Tanasugarn vs Jennifer Capriati/Mary Pierce
Kim Clijsters/Elena Dementieva vs. Daniela Hantuchova/Ashley Harkleroad (2)

Weekly Schedule
Tuesday: Points Due!
Wednesday: Singles Round of 16
Thursday: Singles Quarter Finals; Doubles Quarter Finals
Friday: Singles Semi Finals; Doubles Semi Finals
Saturday: Singles Final; Doubles Final

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Seles hopes to achieve great things in Season 2

Canberra: Monica Seles, who was slumping for nearly all of Season 1 on the WGTA Tour has said that she is ready to buck up and achieve improved results. "I did very poorly for the most part on the Tour and things picked up for me in the fall, especially in Zurich.", Seles said.

Seles, won the Nicest Player Award, voted by her peers for being the nicest and most gracious player on Tour. "I was extremely flattered that the girls chose me for such a prestigious award. It really meant a lot to me, to be acknowledged by my contemporaries in such a positive light.", Seles said.

Seles' goal is a rise in the rankings. "I have almost no points to defend till Zurich this season, so I am really looking forward to a climb in the rankings. Defending points is a lot of pressure. Let's see how the other girls handle it.", Seles added.

Seles opens against Ashley Harkelroad. "Ashley's a great player. I haven't played her before, but it should be a great match. She's a very competitive player and has achieved good results." Seles will be playing doubles with regular partner Anna Kournikova. "We've both had our rest period and it's great to be back on Tour with my best friend, Anna. We'll have a blast again this year, and hopefully win a lot too."

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Capriati Pumped to Start the Season

American Jennifer Capriati turned professional at the last event of last year indoors at Linz. She started well but then had a disappointing and embarassing loss to Tamarine Tanasugarn in the finals. This week she kicks things off against the red hot Anna Kournikova. Jennifer sat down with us to talk about boys, life, and oh yeah: Tennis.

YM: Hi Jennifer. Last year you reached the finals of your first event, and alot of people deemed you as the next big thing. Do you have any thoughts about that?

Jennifer Capriati: (laughs) Yeah the next big thing who loses to Tamarine Tanasugarn. Really I should have won that title, there is no excuse not to have. And then I played in an exhibition and lost to Kim Clijsters after beating Tanasugarn. Trust me, that is not happening anymore. I don't mind losing to the big guns like Hantuchova and Kournikova, but I will no longer tolerate loses to sub standard players. To be the best, you need to beat the rest.

YM: So that is your goal then, to be no. 1?

JC: Well, not really. Rankings are just numbers. Heck Hantuchova finished last season ranked number one, but she only won a single title. I'd love to have her consistency, don't get me wrong, but I would much rather be winning titles and slams. So that is really my goal: to win a couple of nice titles this year. If the no. 1 ranking comes with that, it is merely an added bonus in my view. I would love to qualify for the chase, but if I win a slam and suck the rest of the year, I think I'll still be happy.

YM: Our readers are dying to know, is it true that you are dating Matthew Perry?

JC: You know, Matt and I are really great friends--both recovering from addiction, and I think that creates a big bond between us. However, we are not dating or anything. I am still single.

YM: Is your brother single? (with great interest)

JC: Um, yeah to my knowledge.

YM: Here, give him my number, I really really want to go out with him sometime.

JC: Ewww. The thought of someone dating my brother. Um, can we get back to tennis now?

YM: RIght. Uh, what are your goals for this week?

JC: To win of course. I mean, I have a tough draw (Jennifer might have to face the three hottest players on tour at the moment just to reach the final), but that comes with the territory of not being a seed. I really think they need to move to four seeds a week. It seems ridiculous to have half of the players seeded, but that is just my opinion.

YM: Well thanks for your time Jennifer. Here at YM we all wish you the best for the season.

JC: Thanks so much guys. Hey, if I win a title one of these days I will DEFINATELY be mentioning your magazine in my commemoration speach.

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Draw changed again

Time's up

Round of 16 Results:
Tanasugarn def. Graf WALKOVER
(Graf retires...first event, no points)

Seles def. Pierce WALKOVER
(if Mary doesn't send points next week, she's gone)

Hingis def. Harkleroad WALKOVER
(this is sad)

Molik def. Dementieva WALKOVER
(upsetting for Dementieva, who needs Rebound Ace to gain on #1)

Grzybowska def. Clijsters WALKOVER
(Why didn't people send in points? I sent pm's)

Davenport def. Venus WALKOVER
(Venus could have been #1 this week)

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Round of 16
Jennifer Capriati vs. Anna Kournikova (3)

First Set​

1-0 Capriati

1-1

2-1 Capriati

2-2

3-2 Kournikova

4-2

4-3

4-4

5-4 Capriati

5-5

6-5 Kournikova

7-5

Kournikova leads Capriati 7-5
Second Set--* indicates games won by cointoss

1-0 Kournikova

1-1

2-1 Capriati

2-2

3-2* Capriati

4-2

4-3

5-3

6-3

Capriati is tied with Kournikova 5-7 6-3
Third Set

1-0 Capriati

1-1

2-1 Kournikova

3-1

3-2

3-3

4-3 Kournikova

4-4

5-4 Capriati

5-5

6-5 Kournikova

7-5

Anna Kournikova (3) def. Jennifer Capriati 7-5 3-6 7-5
Very close match...the difference? Kournikova was more consistent when Capriati wasn't aggressive. Kournikova still has lost just one match since the US Open​

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated Draw

http://www.i2.ca/tournawiz/16draw.php?id=17&uid=tennisilove09

Thursday's Schedule
Singles Quarter Final
Daniela Hantuchova (1) vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn

followed by

Singles Quarter Final
Monica Seles (7) vs. Anna Kournikova (3)

followed by

Singles Quarter Final
Alicia Molik vs. Martina Hingis (6)

followed by

Singles Quarter Final
Magdalena Grzybowska vs. Lindsay Davenport

followed by

Doubles Quarter Final
Venus Williams/Serena Williams (1) vs. Lindsay Davenport/Steffi Graf

followed by

Doubles Quarter Final
Monica Seles/Anna Kournikova vs Magdalena Grzybowska/Martina Hingis

followed by

Doubles Quarter Final
Alicia Molik/Tamarine Tanasugarn vs Jennifer Capriati/Mary Pierce

followed by

Doubles Quarter Final
Kim Clijsters/Elena Dementieva vs. Daniela Hantuchova/Ashley Harkleroad (2)

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hingis-seles said:
:fiery: @ all the walkovers. I guess they didn't check the forum. :/

til09, does this count to the head-to-head and also, do players get ranking points for a walkover win?
It doesn't count for H2H.
Players will get points for walkovers...it's not their fault no one sent points.

And I sent everyone PM's :sad:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.