Tennis Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1554 Posts

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
OMG. :facepalm: that's a fortune, and a risky investment.
Her refusal to leave Gatineau demonstrates that Tennis Canada's Montreal NTC is a complete failure with the girls. They never want to leave their home town and family. I wouldn't either if I were a 15 years old girl. It's different with the boys, they usually like to leave home at an early age.

Abanda and Robillard-Millette were living close to Montreal so that wasn't problem for them. They were the only 2 that I know of who came from the Montreal NTC... and the future looks very uncertain so far for them. SO wake up Tennis Canada !!! This is a complete failure. You have to change something. :eek:

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
Her refusal to leave Gatineau demonstrates that Tennis Canada's Montreal NTC is a complete failure with the girls. They never want to leave their home town and family. I wouldn't either if I were a 15 years old girl. It's different with the boys, they usually like to leave home at an early age.

Abanda and Robillard-Millette were living close to Montreal so that wasn't problem for them. They were the only 2 that I know of who came from the Montreal NTC... and the future looks very uncertain so far for them. SO wake up Tennis Canada !!! This is a complete failure. You have to change something. :eek:
It is a fortune but it adds up quickly if you have 3 people working full time for you , travel expenses for 4 people...

And the NTC is now “boys only”. Tennis Canada determined the girls simply didn’t flourish when they moved away from home to train. And so the better prospects work out of regional centers in their own cities.
article on post 1503

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
:facepalmingtodeath: I think every single Canadian player, women or men, have been injured in the passed few weeks, some of them with serious injuries. Except perhaps Dabrowski but that's because she plays mostly doubles. That can't just be bad luck. They probably are not getting enough rest time between tournaments. They should ask the father and coach of Leylah Fernandez for advice. His daughter hasn't had an injury or worn any tape in the passed 7 years. He must know a thing or two about this.

·
Registered
30,921 Posts
That's probably why they opened national tennis centers in Vancouver and Toronto. Tennis Canada's program is highly overrated anyway and it's often been discussed over here.

It's a massive investment for someone that will most likely end up in the NCAA. Mélodie would be happy to get a 250K scholarship but her parents will already have invested similar sums in her tennis career.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I took a walk at Jarry Park a few times during the past 2 weeks. That's where the Montreal Rogers Cup is held. It was interesting to watch the ground crew strip one court to bare concrete. I was able to see all the patches of past reparations done on it. The next time I went they were applying the black sealant exactly like in the 1st video but not over the old acrylic. Today on another court they were applying in the same way the blue and green acrylic color. The lines are done last of course.

They have only 4 of the 13 courts done so far, but I'm not sure if they will do that to all the courts. I wonder if they are forced to change the surface every year or if there's a new requirement this year.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
They have only 4 of the 13 courts done so far, but I'm not sure if they will do that to all the courts. I wonder if they are forced to change the surface every year or if there's a new requirement this year.
They do it every year but I am not sure they do every single courts all the time

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
They do it every year but I am not sure they do every single courts all the time
They do add abrasive (like sand) to the acrylic, so it probably wears off quite a bit over the span of 12 months, since it's used thousands of times by club members.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Took a stroll again at Jarry Park. Frankie Abanda was playing a practice match with someone looking like Melodie Collard, but I'm really not sure it was Collard. I was surprised how tall Abanda looks in person. She seemed stronger to me, like she improved on her muscle mass perhaps.

So they did resurfaced all the courts. They were working on the last two today I think. This is the company that does the work. https://pc-court.com/en

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
So who will get the Rogers Cup main draw WC ? Genie has the first one and then ? my guess will be Sebov and Fernandez

·
Registered
14,358 Posts

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Kudos to Ariana Arseneault and Carson Branstine. They lost but gave a surprisingly decent fight against good players. They made some progress lately :hi5:

1521 - 1540 of 1554 Posts