Tennis Forum banner

1921 - 1936 of 1936 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I know biathlon has evolved, but it's not like Nilsson ran out of chances or was kicked out of the team or dropped her form. She is a top level CC-er, still young, has set herself new goals and made the decision at the right moment. I believe she'll be far more motivated to do well in biathlon, than getting herself back into CC. She might not be winning next season, but she will definitely be a gold medal contender at the next OG.

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,540 Posts
Come Beijing Frida Karlsson would have been Sweden's #1 and the rise of young sprinters would probably push Nilsson into second tier IMO. I bet she pondered her options and thinks she's got a bigger chance of winning a medal in biathlon than cross country.

·
Registered
29,894 Posts
As said, we have seen Kaisa Varis, who was Herrman of CC win her first biathlon WC race in 4 months.
I dont think that's true. She started in 2006 and won in 2008 (and that win was then taking away from her because she doped again lol)

I guess Sachenbacher-Stehle's biathlon attempt could be classified as a flop? She had some solid runs here and there but never really figured it out. And then she obviously out for doping too :D Her better days in CC were long gone though.

I'm pretty confident Nilsson will have some great results when shooting clean but can she really be consistently good immediately and how long will it take her to become a reliable shooter?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Yeah, sorry. Her first race was in march 2007, her win came in january 2008. I thought she started her second career at the start of 2007 season. Which would also not make it 4 months.

·
Admin
65,965 Posts
I dont think that's true. She started in 2006 and won in 2008 (and that win was then taking away from her because she doped again lol)

I guess Sachenbacher-Stehle's biathlon attempt could be classified as a flop? She had some solid runs here and there but never really figured it out. And then she obviously out for doping too :D Her better days in CC were long gone though.

I'm pretty confident Nilsson will have some great results when shooting clean but can she really be consistently good immediately and how long will it take her to become a reliable shooter?
wouldn´t say flop here, as u said, she was far away from her best in CC and pretty slow for her standards, not even in the WC team anymore and then with over 30 she made the change to biathlon, managed to get top 10 results at least and also made it to the Olympics, guess she was quite happy with what she achieved herself, the actual flop was the positive doping test, which in the end is the main thing you will remember about her biathlon career, indeed :censored:

·
30,815 Posts
Stina Nilsson is becoming a biathlete:eek: Interesting, I dont think we had such a successful cross country skier turning to biathlon before?
This is very shocking! She had a poor season this year because of an injury, that's all i know. Wonder if the injury is long term or like some speculated it affects the classic style of CC? Otherwise it didnt make much sense to switch before 2022 where she could at least try to defend her title. Another motive is how the swedish CC sprint team is getting stronger by the minute, she might have slipped into 2nd team as people have said.

Interesting that everyone was in the dark for this, including Kalla, Samuelsson, Forsberg, everyone was literally shocked.

Will be very interesting to see how this will go! Hoping for the best, she seems really interested and excited about biathlon

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,266 Posts
Nilsson says that she has for the long time wanted to take on biathlon. Her initial plan was to wait until Beijing 2022, but during the injury breaks, she had lot of time to think about it and spend time on the shooting range. She decided that she doesn't want to wait any longer since biathlon is too much fun and shooting is her new obsession.

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Stina Nilsson is becoming a biathlete:eek: Interesting, I dont think we had such a successful cross country skier turning to biathlon before?
Probably the first Cross Country gold medallist to change since Grete Ingeborg Nykkelmo in the late 80's.

Anfissa Reztsova wasn't far off with plenty of silver medals.

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Stina Nilsson has been selected for the Swedish national squad, before she has fired a shot in competition. She is reported to be shooting more than anyone in training.

1921 - 1936 of 1936 Posts