Tennis Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1936 Posts

·
30,815 Posts
Nooooooo, Kaisa retiring :cry::cry::cry: I'm really sad to see her go and like this...It's been amazing to follow her through the years and see how she could be competing with all the other girls coming from the big teams, she did it by herself. Oh shit, that interview at the end with her crying is devastating, we cry together Kaisa!

Good luck in the rest of your life Kaisa!!! And thank you for everything, the inspiration over all these years, the role model you have been to so many people!

·
30,815 Posts
Those races tho. Eckhoff really choked it in the end, but that pursuit was like that all the leader was choking, Preuss, Davidova then Eckhoff. And JTBoe almost effed it up and then saved it in the end with 5/5 shooting, very interesting races in the end.

Sad day for biathlon with 2 greatest retiring :(

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
I can't quite believe that athletes I've followed through their entire careers from juniors on and up until their end - are now retiring. Most of them being my contemporaries. And not once have I lost interest in this sport during all these years. Quite remarkable in it's own way. I've ditched so many interests and sports that I had followed before, but this one keeps staying with me.

All the best to Slesinger, Fourcade, Bauer, Dolder, Makarainen and those to come in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
43,960 Posts
I can't quite believe that athletes I've followed through their entire careers from juniors on and up until their end - are now retiring. Most of them being my contemporaries. And not once have I lost interest in this sport during all these years. Quite remarkable in it's own way. I've ditched so many interests and sports that I had followed before, but this one keeps staying with me.

All the best to Slesinger, Fourcade, Bauer, Dolder, Makarainen and those to come in the next few weeks.
Does Bauer go as well? :(

Can’t believe Kaisa and Martin won’t be around anymore.
Martin has been such a force and Kaisa a true stalwart. Her retirement makes me even sadder as she was there when I started following Biathlon. That leaves Arnd Peiffer as the last standing active biathlete from the first post!
I can’t believe how many big names have left the sport within the last two years: Emil Hegle Svendsen, Ole Einar Bjoerndalen, Martin Fourcade, Darya Domracheva, Anastasiya Kuzmina, Laura Dahlmeier, Marie Dorin Habert, Kaisa Mäkäräinen. I can only salute them and thank them for the great sport they have delivered.

I really hope Doro, Tiril, Arnd and Tarjei will still be around next year. I almost expect Doro to retire

I am even a little concerned that JTB may call it a career now seeing how much he enjoys being a father.

·
30,815 Posts
Exactly the same feeling as above 2 users, Kaisa was the last active person from the times I started watching Biathlon. And even more, she was the last athlete I really supported and cheered for from any sport since I started following it in my young years.

It really feels weird/sad, it's like the end of a generation but also the end of childhood, brings back many memories of the first times I started following sports (and biathlon in particular)

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
It's the very dynamics of this sport that keeps pushing it forward. We thought how much the sport would've lost without Forsberg, Disl, Neuner, Bjoerndalen, Poiree, Fischer and the likes, yet the standard is getting higher year after year and the fans are still staying with the sport. I don't know whether it's IBU doing a great job, or maybe biathlon as a sport itself does it.

My admiration for athletes competing in biathlon will never pale, and it's what's gonna keep me interested and invested even when the generations change.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It's so stupid to end the season with mixed relay :cry:
Well they didn't! :)

Doro vultures the WC. I really now hope she won't retire as she envisioned last year. C'mon girl, Olympics just 2 years away! Too bad for Tiril, did what Vittozzi did last year.
Although I am more of a Fourcade fan, still glad to see JTB capture the globe. It would have been unfair for him to lose it after clearly being dominant athlete just because some races were cut. Martin struggled with skiing form this season again but not as bad as last season so he can at least end it with a happy note.

Oh no, Kaisa fell just short of the podium in her last race in front of home...er...non-crowd. It was so glorious to see her charge The Wall once more with her enormous tenacity, only to end up being critical 2 seconds behind. Hilariously, she was so happy in her post-race interview that she managed to go out with 5/5 from last standing, after all the shitty shooting all season. Too bad she couldn't quite catch Berger and Disl in number of WC wins, but it was time to quit, it was unlikely her vision problems would have improved at this point of career. Her biggest legacy is certainly longevity of her career, we probably won't soon see anyone who is so hell-bent and obsessed with competing, at least on the women's side.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
I gotta admit I had to hold tears back for Kaisa. She is the definition of lovely
Hey Giulio . Fancy usernamed here. Is Kugy well known in Northern Italy? There is a monument to Kugy in Trenta valley if you ever hike around to visit.
Which biathletes do you feel is the most unapproachable or that you have felt uneasy around (be sincere, they probably don't know you're posting here):D

·
Registered
72,359 Posts
Hey Giulio . Fancy usernamed here. Is Kugy well known in Northern Italy? There is a monument to Kugy in Trenta valley if you ever hike around to visit.
Which biathletes do you feel is the most unapproachable or that you have felt uneasy around (be sincere, they probably don't know you're posting here):D
I think only in my region as he lived here and explored most of the mountains around ;) I actually plan to pass by Trenta next summer on a multi-day hiking from Montasio to Triglav

As for that, I won't say ? but some teams have clearly a very different approach to media than others

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Top 10 most popular athletes in Finland as of march 2020

1. Kaisa Mäkäräinen, biathlon :love:

2. Kimi Räikkönen, F1
3. Iivo Niskanen, cross country skiing

4. Teemu Pukki, football
5. Krista Pärmäkoski, cross country skiing
6. Kalle Rovanperä, rally
7. Valtteri Bottas, F1

8. Enni Rukajärvi, snowboarding
9. Leo-Pekka Tähti, para-athletics
10. Nooralotta Neziri, track&field(100mH)

Inquiry by Sponsor Insight

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Stina Nilsson is becoming a biathlete:eek: Interesting, I dont think we had such a successful cross country skier turning to biathlon before?
Not quite but Denise Herrmann and Miriam Gössner were pretty good... :) ...or did Miri practice both already as a junior?

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
She has been guided by the light to darken the days of Skottheims and Magnussens of the Swedish team. Back to IBU for them.
Good for her, though. Biathlon is fun, skiing is not.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
They get 6 athletes next year, so: Oebergs, Persson, Brorsson, Skotthem, Nilsson.
Magnussen back to IBU, Hoegberg may just as well retire at 34 and slugging it out at the IBU cup. So can I. Andersson at 30.

·
Registered
72,359 Posts
Stina Nilsson is becoming a biathlete:eek: Interesting, I dont think we had such a successful cross country skier turning to biathlon before?
It will be very interesting to see when she will get to a level worthy WC (Herrmann told many times it is not so easy to change your skiing technique for the rifle on your back as well as performing with that extra weight). Range time will also be a factor as she is new to putting rifle on and off her back, loading magazine etc. Herrmann was/is a clear talent for how quickly she learnt and mastered this, but it's not a given

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
It will be very interesting to see when she will get to a level worthy WC (Herrmann told many times it is not so easy to change your skiing technique for the rifle on your back as well as performing with that extra weight). Range time will also be a factor as she is new to putting rifle on and off her back, loading magazine etc. Herrmann was/is a clear talent for how quickly she learnt and mastered this, but it's not a given
When was the last time that a semi decent CC-er completely failed as a biathlete?
Even the slightly talented Kaisa Varis managed to get her first win in about 4 months.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
She was a world class CC-er, she'll be a world class biathlete. She knows what it takes to get there and like she worked her ass of in CC, she will in biathlon as well. Herrman in comparison was a mediocre CC and look where that got her in biathlon.

·
Registered
72,359 Posts
She was a world class CC-er, she'll be a world class biathlete. She knows what it takes to get there and like she worked her ass of in CC, she will in biathlon as well. Herrman in comparison was a mediocre CC and look where that got her in biathlon.
Herrmann has an innatural talent for shooting. This is not just me, but most coaches say so. Had she discovered the sport earlier, she could be a monster.

I doubt she'll fail as a biathlete, but I'd be surprised to see her taking wins in the next winter. But she could prove me wrong. She has one of the best shooters in the world in her team and this will help greatly, just like it could help Hanna making a big step on skis.

·
Registered
72,359 Posts
When was the last time that a semi decent CC-er completely failed as a biathlete?
Even the slightly talented Kaisa Varis managed to get her first win in about 4 months.
Also, biathlon has evolved from back then. Nowadays, most girls would make more than decent skiers. Goessner said she is not motivated to come back to biathlon because it would take her more than when she quit. You cannot afford 3 extra penalties to aim for a win.
Selina was relatively close to scoring points in Lenzerheide this year in a moment when she was not even remotedly close to being the fastest in biathlon, Kaisa was often among top girls in XC at nationals and Laukkanen we know.

What I mean is that Nilsson will most definitely have an edge on skis on everyone, but it will take time for her to be close to being consistently good

1901 - 1920 of 1936 Posts