Tennis Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1857 Posts

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
What the hell are those results?! :ROFLMAO: Still, Marte! World champion, finally!
Unfortunately, this means that for Tiril, the pursuit is over as well. :confused: She said she might not even start.

·
Registered
29,592 Posts
I really enjoyed today's race.

Norway, Germany, Czech Republic all lost one athlete for the pursuit, with Norway effectively losing Eckoff and Tandrevold who barely made it. France really poor as well. I suspect lots of reshufflings in the pursuit.

·
Registered
43,870 Posts
This medal came out of the blue so it even made headlines in the local newspapers.
Congrats to Norway.
So how did the medal today go down then? 😄 Absolutely crazy from Charvatova. Going clean standing (where is incredibly erratic) with an impressive rangetime and that after going too fast on the first two laps (judging from her time on the final lap)

Charvatova effectively beating Pidhrushna because of superior shooting (being slower on the track) is pretty hilarious to me. But I am here for such results and very happy for her. She will probably still manage to finish the pursuit outside of the Top 30 though.
Incredible result for Dunklee as well just when you thought she was not competitive anymore. Could very well see her finish her career with such a positive result here and Olympics being in 2 years again.

Also happy to see Wierer and Vittozzi ensuring that there will be home interest in the pursuit!

·
30,771 Posts
Nice summary^

Only thing to add is Eckhoff absolute disaster race (can't say I'm surprised tho)
France has been a disaster, tomorrow will be important for them...

Oeberg choked that last shooting (although she was really unlucky to shoot exactly when the crowd was being extremely loud because Herrman was finishing her race).

Seems like it was worth for Marte to rest midseason :) Her 1st individual gold! Her career is a pretty good example of slowly and steady progress

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
Seems like it was worth for Marte to rest midseason :)
She was heavily criticized by Liv Grete Skjelbreid for it, as she thought Marte could have competed for both the overall and the WCh medals. And I tend to agree with it, but she made her priorities and so far it's paid off.
Her advantage over her main competitors in the pursuit is pretty decent, too. Still, she's been prone to choking recently, so...

Seems like mass start will be the only realistic chance for Tiril here, apart from the relay. But, that's event she thrives in. OTOH, after a disaster like this, who the hell knows.

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
Olsbu came out of the wardrobe to watch Dunklee's finish and these were her thoughts: I saw that she was breaking down and it's ugly to say, but it was a good feeling :LOL:

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
So how did the medal today go down then? 😄 Absolutely crazy from Charvatova. Going clean standing (where is incredibly erratic) with an impressive rangetime and that after going too fast on the first two laps (judging from her time on the final lap)

Charvatova effectively beating Pidhrushna because of superior shooting (being slower on the track) is pretty hilarious to me. But I am here for such results and very happy for her. She will probably still manage to finish the pursuit outside of the Top 30 though.
Incredible result for Dunklee as well just when you thought she was not competitive anymore. Could very well see her finish her career with such a positive result here and Olympics being in 2 years again.

Also happy to see Wierer and Vittozzi ensuring that there will be home interest in the pursuit!
Well, if the relay medal was 'out of the blue' this one was 'once in a blue moon' :LOL:

What's hilarious is that Egil Gjelland, the Norwegian coach of the Czech women's team, now claims that Lucie may be even better. :giggle:

Gotta love these sweeping declarations after one rare, near-perfect race.

Anyway, good luck to all!

·
Registered
43,870 Posts
Well, if the relay medal was 'out of the blue' this one was 'once in a blue moon' :LOL:

What's hilarious is that Egil Gjelland, the Norwegian coach of the Czech women's team, now claims that Lucie may be even better. :giggle:

Gotta love these sweeping declarations after one rare, near-perfect race.

Anyway, good luck to all!
I don’t think she can shoot any better than she did today especially compared to the rest of the field, but she can certainly do better on the track I would think. The last lap of all Czechs was rather subpar, so I was thinking maybe their material was not as good as yesterday or maybe Lucie was REALLY tense knowing she was fighting for the medals. She was ahead of Olsbu after Shooting 2 (obviously due to her incredible rangetime) and As fast as her in Lap 1. So if it was fitness related and she was already exhausted it is even more outstanding she managed to shoot clean standing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,093 Posts
Ustyugov and Sleptsova are retroactively banned (years 2013-14), meaning that Russia lost Sochi's relay gold and first place in the overall medal standings (if the ban will not get overturned).
The cases are based on disputed data from the Moscow anti-doping laboratory, showing Ustyugov and Sleptsova tested positive and then benefited from a cover-up. The World Anti-Doping Agency says someone attempted to delete the data later on (a 2nd cover-up) before it was finally handed over to them last year, but the experts managed to recover the deleted files.
It seems almost inevitable that there will be an appeal, and this covered-up, manipulated, hidden, recovered data will come under intense scrutiny.
Ustyugov has another case started against him, based on unusual data in blood samples he gave between Jan. 2010 and Feb. 2014.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
2 frenchies on the box, behind Dopinov.
Saw this joke on another forum:

Quentin will receive his gold in about 5 years. Provided Loginov sends it to him.

Explanation: The poster clearly referred to the 2014 Olympics, where the Russian women finished second in the relay event, but were later disqualified and ordered to return their silver medals.

Nothing has been sent yet.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
I don’t think she can shoot any better than she did today especially compared to the rest of the field, but she can certainly do better on the track I would think. The last lap of all Czechs was rather subpar, so I was thinking maybe their material was not as good as yesterday or maybe Lucie was REALLY tense knowing she was fighting for the medals. She was ahead of Olsbu after Shooting 2 (obviously due to her incredible rangetime) and As fast as her in Lap 1. So if it was fitness related and she was already exhausted it is even more outstanding she managed to shoot clean standing.
I think she's originally a cross-country skier who later switched to biathlon so I'd say in general her skiing fitness and stamina should be less of a worry than her shooting.
I'm really curious if she's nominated for the women's relay considering her terrible track record and the resultig low self-confidence in this team event.

1801 - 1820 of 1857 Posts