Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MORE prize oney than the men.
TV contracts
Fame and fortune for all
The end to world hunger!
Peace throughout the land!

Oops. I'm getting ahead of myself. However, I just thought of a scenario that could make everyone involved with women's tennis very happy. In the long run.

Venus wins OZ 2002

Five months of, "If she, will it be"

Martina def Venus in RG 02 final 18-16 in the third.
Venus def Martina in WB 02 final

And we would finally have the rivalry that's been tantalizing us for the last four years. People would hook into the rivalry. Theuy relate to those sorts of things. We've got tall vs short, Black vs White, American vs European, outgoing vs reserved.

The Old Magic vs The Earth Magic.

Of course, YOU might have a much better idea. Tell me about it.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'd like a good rivalry to develop. At the moment there's nothing to compare to Navratilova-Evert, Graf-Seles, Graf-ASV and it makes things less exciting.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Anna Kournikova wins Wimbledon by beating Venus in the final

Martina wins OZ open and USO...

Serena beats Venus in the semis of Wimbledon

Monica Seles wins RG

Rankings:
1.Martina
2.Monica
3.Anna
4.Jennifer
5.Lindsay
6.Serena
7.Venus

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Martina beats Clijsters/Henin to win the Oz Open.

Martina wins Roland Garros (!!!) by beating Monica.

Anna beats Henin in the semis of Wimby and wins the rematch.
Anna goes on to beat Venus in the final, and wins the big one!

Venus and Serena meet in the Quarters at the US AND ACTUALLY PLAY each other. Serena wins but loses to Lindsay, who's all better to play at this point.

Ranking at the end of the year:
1) Martina
2) Lindsay
3) Anna
4) Monica
5) Serena
6) Venus
7) Capriati

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree with Volcana!!!

Volcana, I think your scenario is perfect! Venus needs OZ, and then Martina would take her out at RG, when she's looking to win 4 in a row! How exciting, my two favorite players.

I think Women's tennis definitely needs a MAJOR rivalry. Venus and Martina are perfect for such that.

BTW, Volcana, who is the outgoing, and who is the reserved??

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
My dream is to Serena win a Grand Slam, and reach at the 3rd of 2nd in ranking's spot :)

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
many dreams there...

Martina 18-16 over Venus at RG ???

Thats probably the biggest on the wish list.

A. Venus is not in Martina's league on clay.....

B. Venus will never make a RG Final

C. Venus is not capable of a 3 peat (print and save so I don't have to tell you I told you so)

D. Woman will never recieve the equal rights of men as long as men run the Media

E. The rivalry that you crave for will happen, the Venus magis is over already, Amelie is just the first to say it in public....

The sad thing for certain members, what I state is the truth....as I see it :p

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Poor Adrian. :(

It is so pitiful that instead of spending your time supporting your player and enjoying tennis, you waste it bashing certain players and certain groups of people directly and indirectly with negative iniuendos and empty apologies.

VENUS may not three-peat in her Wimby and Open wins, but then again she just might do it again. Never get to an RG final? I doubt that statement as well.

There were similar statements made regarding VENUS never winning a title, never getting in the top ten, never getting a slam, never going back to back and now, never three-peating. There are just too many previous predictions to print ans save, I guess.

Oh well, I guess this statement may come up again next year when someone says that VENUS will never four-peat. (print and save if you wish)

TR :cool:

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Poor TeeRexx. who lives to post the negatives of anything non-Williams....does the mirror image burn your eyes? I think so

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Speaking of 3's Adrian, look at your girl Hingis. YEP 3(COUNT EM)3 long years since she even PEATED. LMAO

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Adrian, Hingis will not win WIMBY again. .. IMHO Venus has as much of a chance to win RG as Hingis does on grass. How long has it been since Hingis won a Grass court event anyhow?

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Dawn the last grasscourt tournament she won was S'Hertogenbosch in 2000. Seems a long time ago, but then she has only played 2 Wimbledons since.

Wimbledon 2000 she lost to Venus, there is no shame in that, and Venus' game is much better suited to grass. Mind you, the scoreline was 6-3 4-6 6-4. It wasn't like she was totally out of it.

Wimbledon 2001 she was in hospital the week before, need I say more?

Overall, I think the rivalry will be more interesting if Martina won Australian Open and French Open and then Venus stops Martina's chances of completing the grand slam at the Wimbledon finals. That'll mean Martina will have 6 slams, Venus will have 5 and the beginning of a beautiful rivalry! :)

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
outgoing vs reserved
I don't think Martina is reserved!
Or you meant Venus? Well, she neither ;)

I see the rivalry, but I don't think it will happen.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Poor TeeRexx. who lives to post the negatives of anything non-Williams....does the mirror image burn your eyes? I think so
Couldn't have said it any better myself Adrian. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't wanna see a rivalry between two of the most boring players on the tour (martina and venus). I'd like to see two younger players eventually step up and do something good. Justine and Kim would be a very good rivalry, and like Evert/Navratilova they both represent the same country but are from different backgrounds. I think Justine/Kim would be the most interesting, "for sure" (as juju would say :p)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Rivalry? Between Venus and Martina? Try maybe Venus and Lindsay or Venus and Justine, but Hingis? Venus will dominate Hingis, now that is not to say Martina will not have her days. However most of the time she will get whipped.....that is no rivalry.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,113 Posts
The best thing?s

WTA enforces return to wooden rackets..
From now on a serve faster than 180 kmh considered "handfault".
A groundstroke faster than 160 kmh considered "out".
Volley and dropshot winners earn you two points instead of one.
Players are allowed to play in swimming suits (or optionally, without them)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Hail-Venus - Give Vanity a fresh can of those balls as well. :p

TR :cool:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Tee Rex, hey, no problem! There're plenty of balls to be served up.;)

((((Vanity)))), ((((Adrian)))), Open Wiiiiiiiddddee!)))):bounce: :bounce:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts