Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Venus Versus Martina

Undeniably the Best Match up of strong players and contrasting styles. It was always high drama. I am watching the 2000 us open semi and it was a fun filled battle! Anyone who says venus williams doesn't volley is just a liar. Martina was firing passing shots at venus and she was getting most of them.

COME BACK MARTINA I WANT MY VENUS MARTINA MATCH UPS Again!!!!

To hell with serena versus justine and serena versus jenn and serena versus venus and jen versus lindsay and kim versus justine!

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Obviously Jen vs. Serena comes to mind. (Juju I guess is the new #1 rival, but will that only be on clay)? Kimmy used to dominate her compatriot, but now the tables are totally turned, so I can't recall it ever being a tossup sort of rivalry. The original Martina vs. Chrissie may still be the best ever.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Hamburg 02 was straight sets, what other ones recently were there?

I'm deprived. I've never even seen those two play each other. I'm going to buy some of their matches on tape though.

Another greta post Cybelle, positive rep for you. :D

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Martina Hingis and Venus Williams were the best rivals in tennis. The matches in 1999-2000 were some of the best tennis EVER, especially the 99 and 00 US Open semi finals. Incredible tennis.

Right now there seems to be missing a big rivalry. The best two players in the world are sisters, and aren't true rivals.

Henin/Serena is alright...but you think that Serena will dominate her again now that Clay's over for a year.

Jennifer/Serena, IMO, is getting boring. How many times can we see Jen start strong, but unable to maintain it?

·
Premium Member
27,133 Posts
Yeah, Venus and Martina had great matches - there was just that extra element of rivalry that you never seemed to see when Lindsay or Serena were involved. Not that any of the matches were poor quality.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Ryan16 said:
Hamburg 02 was straight sets, what other ones recently were there?

I'm deprived. I've never even seen those two play each other. I'm going to buy some of their matches on tape though.

Another greta post Cybelle, positive rep for you. :D
The last 3 were straight sets

02 Hamburg Venus 7-5 6-3
01 Miami Venus 6-3 7-6
01 Aussie Martina 6-1 6-1

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Venus Versus Martina

Undeniably the Best Match up of strong players and contrasting styles. It was always high drama. I am watching the 2000 us open semi and it was a fun filled battle! Anyone who says venus williams doesn't volley is just a liar. Martina was firing passing shots at venus and she was getting most of them.

COME BACK MARTINA I WANT MY VENUS MARTINA MATCH UPS Again!!!!

To hell with serena versus justine and serena versus jenn and serena versus venus and jen versus lindsay and kim versus justine!

care to trade me a copy of that match?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I remember the miami one. I remember one point Venus hit a HUGE serve and it hit Hingis's racket in the center but it shock it and gave it so much vibration that it almost flew off her hand.

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
that was the best rivalry after seles/graf. so much money was made off of those matches. they had high drama bc of remarks both ways (lol just thinking about some of the jabs traded), contrasting styles, and at the time, venus had the hardest hitting game, while hingis had so much finesse (both were incredible athletes). i really really miss their matchups...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Martina vs Venus!

High quality matches with all the drama!!!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Heh, and when I had to boo Dokic off the court for quitting in her Montreal semi...the nerve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.