Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone had told us this time last year that Kim and Justine would be the top two seeds at this year's USO we'd have told them to keep dreaming. Regardless of injuries they have done an amazing job to go from just being top tenners to being real contenders. I have never been a huge fan but I just have to step back and admire their achievement.
Congrats Kim and Justine :D

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Exactly my thoughts!!
It's really amazing!!

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Another all-Belgian Grand Slam final coming at ya!!!! Keep it up ladies - you truly are inspiring.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
tennnisfannn said:
If anyone had told us this time last year that Kim and Justine would be the top two seeds at this year's USO we'd have told them to keep dreaming.
EXACTLY. Kim.....i woulda been shocked but i coulda taken it. Justine, i wouldnt have thought that in a million years.

both have done an amazing job this year, both are to be commended

·
Registered
730 Posts
Can someone tell me how many tournaments venus and serena have played this year??
Kim and justine have been fortunate- this has been the worst year for the williams siters in terms being sidelined- venus hasn't been able to defent her last two tournaments she won last year- was also sidelined for most of the clay season, serena will play no summer hardcourt tournament this year,

congrats to the belgians but it's no like they have somehow removed the williams sisters by being better than them this year- head2heads speak for themselves but more fortune than anything thats got them to where they are...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
villa said:
Can someone tell me how many tournaments venus and serena have played this year??
Kim and justine have been fortunate- this has been the worst year for the williams siters in terms being sidelined- venus hasn't been able to defent her last two tournaments she won last year- was also sidelined for most of the clay season, serena will play no summer hardcourt tournament this year,

congrats to the belgians but it's no like they have somehow removed the williams sisters by being better than them this year- head2heads speak for themselves but more fortune than anything thats got them to where they are...
What do you consider better? They are not winning too many matches against the sisters that's right. But as has been proving tournaments can be won without beating Venus and Serena.

As as far as beating the players outside the top 4, they are doing it equally good as the sisters. This combined with the fact that they manage to play a higher no. of events is why they some would qualify themas being better, just depends on your definition.

·
Registered
280 Posts
villa said:

The Belgians have played just as much as last year :angel:
Venus is in bad shape (she is not taking priorities and the abdominal injury wasn't expected at all)
Serena was superior last year and still is this year, but she is unable to defend the entire bag of quality points she earned last year.
She beat Hingis, Venus and Jenjen several times last year (the top three of last year) It's normal that she lost more than 1500 points this year.
The same will happen with Kim next year :eek:

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
Seles said:
The Belgians can't help the Williams' injuries and shouldn't be denounced for it either.
True, but you shouldn't discount the injuries of the sisters when considering the "amazing" achivement of the belgians. If as the thread starter claims that the belgians are amazing b/c they are going to be seeded for USO #1-and-2, then it follows that, without the serena's injury, they are not that amazing.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
eta psi said:
True, but you shouldn't discount the injuries of the sisters when considering the "amazing" achivement of the belgians. If as the thread starter claims that the belgians are amazing b/c they are going to be seeded for USO #1-and-2, then it follows that, without the serena's injury, they are not that amazing.
In all likelihood they would have been #1 and #3 even with Serena in the draw.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nothing is amazing here. They are just lucky. Any wta player could
have had that opportunity as well because Venus and serena are injured
and could not defend their titles given way to those behind them to
cease the opening. Is that amazing? No.
It is not that they beat Venus and Serena to capture the first and
second position so many people who understand good english will not
agree with you on your definition of "AMAZE"

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,023 Posts
It's still quite an achievement to have reached the heights they have reached, with or without the help of the Williams sisters injuries. It was only this time last year that they were ranked around the same place as Jelena, in fact Jelena was ahead of them for a while!

So, although their ranking has improved through the lack of the best of the competition, it is still they who have taken the opportunities and got to where they are!

It could so easily have been Jenny and Lindsay or Amelie etc! But it was Kim and Justine! Well done girls, and get well soon Serena! The tour needs you!

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Whats the point? Of course they are good players. We already knew that. But they will only be seeded 1 and 2 bc of Serenas injury.
If the whole top 5 was injured and couldnt play, then Mauresmo and Capriati would be seeded 1 and 2. Does that make them 'amazing' too?
If you want to talk about them being amazing just talk about their game, or tournament wins or whatever, but dont go trying to rub in Serenas injury. :(

·
Registered
839 Posts
I find it amazing that people seem to think that physical injuries is only a question of luck. Although it can be, my opinion is that most injuries occur because of insufficient preparation which translates into less than optimal physical fitness. We all know that the Williams sisters, for all their immense talents, only enter few tournaments. We all know that they have time consuming outside interests. Tennis achievements come not only from ability but also from fitness. How often have you seen the great ones (steffi, chrissy, jimmy, borg) injured?
Kim and justine are working their a.. off of the court and it shows in their results. it is as simple as that.

·
Registered
876 Posts
hinquit said:
Nothing is amazing here. They are just lucky. Any wta player could
have had that opportunity as well because Venus and serena are injured
and could not defend their titles given way to those behind them to
cease the opening. Is that amazing? No.
It is not that they beat Venus and Serena to capture the first and
second position so many people who understand good english will not
agree with you on your definition of "AMAZE"
Kim and Justine are in the group of the 4 best players in the world. This is not "having luck", they are just great players!

They earned every point for the rankings! Their match records this year are amazing!

Venus and Serena are injured right now, that's true (btw: Roland Garros was injury-free). But you can't blame Kim or Justine for this, they did not ask for it! They surely prefer to compete with Venus and Serena, they don't like it to have them injured. That's not the way how it works!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Experimentee said:
Whats the point? Of course they are good players. We already knew that. But they will only be seeded 1 and 2 bc of Serenas injury.
If the whole top 5 was injured and couldnt play, then Mauresmo and Capriati would be seeded 1 and 2. Does that make them 'amazing' too?
If you want to talk about them being amazing just talk about their game, or tournament wins or whatever, but dont go trying to rub in Serenas injury. :(
Kim was already very close to the #1 spot before Serena's injury! Kim was ready to take that ranking. But now Serena is injured, and you start saying: 'It's because Serena is injured'. You have to be honest, Kim was already a threat for Serena, before her injury!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts