Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 4962 J.CAPRIATI<br />03 4627 L.DAVENPORT *

No Williams sisters, no Hingis, Monica is playing the lower Tier events. Justine, Amelie and Kim are all thousands of points off the pace, and have never won a GS (where all the points are doubled!). So the Battle for #1 (not to be confused with best player, which is purely subjective) comes down to Jenn vs Lindsay.

Historically, its a one sided match up. Lindsay leads 7-2. Lindsay also won the last two times, both in three sets. But when it really counted, OZ 2001, Jenn won in straight sets. Personally, I prefer the precision of Lindsay's game to Jenn's nuclear forehand, but Jenn is a very dynamic player.

But Lindsay will end 2001 as #1.

<PRE><br />1997 Sydney Hard (O) SF Jennifer CAPRIATI 2-6 6-4 6-2 <br />1997 Oklahoma Hard (I) QF Lindsay DAVENPORT 3-6 4-6 <br />1999 Roland Garros Clay (O) 16 Lindsay DAVENPORT 2-6 3-6 <br />2000 Australian Open Hard (O) SF Lindsay DAVENPORT 2-6 6-7(4) <br />2000 Scottsdale Hard (O) 16 Lindsay DAVENPORT 6-3 2-6 3-6 <br />2000 Wimbledon Grass (O) 16 Lindsay DAVENPORT 3-6 3-6 <br />2001 Australian Open Hard (O) SF Jennifer CAPRIATI 6-3 6-4 <br />2001 Scottsdale Hard (O) SF Lindsay DAVENPORT 4-6 7-6(2) 1-6 <br />2001 Zurich Hard (I) SF Lindsay DAVENPORT 1-6 7-5 2-6 <br /></PRE>

* Numbers by JANNAK 10-24-01

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Volcana said:
01 4962 J.CAPRIATI<br />03 4627 L.DAVENPORT *

No Williams sisters, no Hingis, Monica is playing the lower Tier events. Justine, Amelie and Kim are all thousands of points off the pace, and have never won a GS (where all the points are doubled!). So the Battle for #1 (not to be confused with best player, which is purely subjective) comes down to Jenn vs Lindsay.

Historically, its a one sided match up. Lindsay leads 7-2. Lindsay also won the last two times, both in three sets. But when it really counted, OZ 2001, Jenn won in straight sets. Personally, I prefer the precision of Lindsay's game to Jenn's nuclear forehand, but Jenn is a very dynamic player.

But Lindsay will end 2001 as #1.
I was reading and only noticed the date a second later. :lol: Amelie, Kim and Justine are now in the top 3 with some GS titles... Just couldn't help to think, things have changed a lot while some other have not! :p

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
suzie said:
I was reading and only noticed the date a second later. :lol: Amelie, Kim and Justine are now in the top 3 with some GS titles... Just couldn't help to think, things have changed a lot while some other have not! :p

mmmmm. how things have changed. Injuries seem to be the main cause for success this year! If only they would go away! :sad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts