Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Season Two: The Australian Open​

Defending Champion: Daniela Hantuchova (2)
Daniela Hantuchova and Jelena Dokic (not playing together)
Anna Kournikova/Andre Agassi

Welcome to Melbourne! The first Grand Slam in season two is about to start, and the big question is Daniela Hantuchova. How will the defending champ handle just losing #1, and defence?

This major seems to be wide open as Kournikova, Seles, Hingis, Capriati, Molik and Hantuchova are all playing well.

Welcome Venus and Serena to the tour (new owners) :)

Singles Draw!
http://www.i2.ca/tournawiz/16draw.php?id=19&uid=tennisilove09

Doubles Draw!
Daniela Hantuchova/Ashley Harkleroad (1) vs. Venus Williams/Serena Williams
Kim Clijsters/Elena Dementieva vs. Jennifer Capriati/Chanda Rubin
Martina Hingis/Magdalena Grzybowska vs. Alicia Moik/Tamarine Tanasugarn
Lindsay Davenport/Jelena Dokic vs. Anna Kournikova/Monica Seles (2)

Mixed Doubles Draw!
Anna Kournikova/Andre Agassi (1) vs. BYE
Magdalena Grzybowska/Carlos Moya vs. Monica Seles/Marat Safin (3)
Chanda Rubin/Daniela Nestor vs.Martina Hingis/Tommy Haas (4)
BYE vs. Daniela Hantuchova/Andy Roddick (2)

Weekly Schedule
Monday: Points Due!--Mixed Draw announced (will depend on who sends mixed points)
Tuesday: Singles Round of 16
Wednesday: Doubles Quarter Finals; Mixed Quarter Finals
Thursday: Singles Quarter Finals; Mixed Semi Finals
Friday: Singles Semi Finals; Doubles Semi Finals
Saturday: Singles Final; Doubles Final; Mixed Final

Mixed Points are out of 100

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Women's Look Forward: Australian Open

Daniela Hantuchova needs this week, and she needs it badly. She is defending her only title, and any poor result could be horrific for her mental state and her ranking. And, she's not #1 right now.

That honor belongs to Anna Kournikova...and rightfully so. Since Wimbledon, Kournikova has been the best player.

Her draw doesn't seem to like her though. She opens against Ashley Harkleroad. Ashley has been very inconsistent, but put together a nice looking week in Sydney, stretching Seles to three in the quarters. If Anna's off her game, Ashley could upset. But it doesn't look that likely.

Kournikova would face the winner of Magdalena Grzybowska and Kim Clijsters (6) in the quarters. This is a tough match. Week in, week out, Maggie seems to impress more. But if the year end championships Clijsters shows up, she should move on--and test Kournikova.

Jelena Dokic is #7 seed, and she opens against Tamarine Tanasugarn. Tanasugarn reached the US Open semis, and Jelena's been off for a few months. This could be an upset.

The winner of Dokic/Tanasugarn faces the Chanda Rubin Martina Hingis winner in the quarters. Hingis is seeded fourth after her amazing week in Sydney, where she won her first title. Rubin had a good debute, testing Kournikova. Still, I feel that Hingis' game is up a notch, and she'll be in the quarters...probably the semis. (Could be a Sydney semi rematch--Kournikova vs. Hingis)

The other half opens with Elena Dementieva. Elena needs to have good showing this week, because as of next week she begins to defend her points. Finals-Win-Win-Win-Win. That's amazingly hard to do. She opens against Lindsay Davenport, who has lost both matches she's actually played on tour. But Davenport has showed promise in her losses. Dementieva has been far off her game. Can Lindsay take advantage?

The toughest first round is Jennifer Capriati vs. Alicia Molik. Molik won her first title in Canberra, and Capriati just reached the finals of Sydney! This is anyone's guess...but the winner should reach the semis!

Monica Seles is seeded 5th, and she opens against new comer Venus Williams (new owner). Seles' great play since Zurich should push her into the quarters, where she should face Hantuchova--who she's never beaten.

Daniela Hantuchova has to like her draw as a defending champ. She opens against newcomer Serena Williams, and then Monica Seles. She could avenge her loss to Capriati, as she did to Molik in Sydney.

TennisILove09's Predictions
Semi Finals

Kournikova vs. Hingis
Capriati vs. Hantuchova

Finals
Kournikova vs. Hantuchova

Winner
Kournikova

Rankings
Here are the singles rankings with the Australian Open taken off.

1 Kournikova 3435
2 Dementieva 3229
3 Hantuchova 2850
4 Hingis 2468
5 Seles 1761
6 Clijsters 1230
7 Dokic 1191
(everyone below remains the same).

·
Banned
6,358 Posts
Rubin to take on Red-Hot Hingis

Chanda Rubin pictured here hitting a ball in practise

Chanda Rubin told reporters today that she wouldn't be suprised if she made a great run...

"I'm hitting the ball really well. My coach and I have been talking strategy and I think I've found the best strategy that could beat my opponents."

During the press confrence the draw had been released and did not know she was facing Hingis until a reporter mentioned it...

"Hingis, eh? Jeez the draw couldn't be any worse. Last week I faced someone who is playing the best tennis of her life. And now I'm facing the person that beat that girl who was playing the best tennis of her life....oh well I guess I'll just have to go out there and play."

Rubin clearly looked as if she was still disappointed with herself about her loss to Anna Kournikova where she was leading in both sets.

"You know, I'm really not that upset its just there was a chance and it makes me feel even worse. I know its time to move on but I just don't know! I think I'll be okay."

Rubin was asked if she thought she was going to make a good Grand Slam debut.

"I don't know. Who really cares about Chanda Rubin. I just have to go out there and fight.

After that comment Rubin stormed off and said this confrence is over.

With this sort of attitude Rubin looks to be heading no where fast.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Seles gunning for first major

Melbourne: After a practice session followed by an autograph session, Monica Seles sits back and relaxes and smiles as she sees me approaching her for an interview at the eve of the first Grand Slam tournament of the new season. All this attention is something she is still getting accustomed, considering her success has only come quite recently. "After doing so poorly for so long, I think, I appreciate the success I have had recently, more than some of the other girls, who got it right away.", Seles says. Seles has only one title to her credit in singles, but is now a Top 5 player and is part of the number two team in doubles. Her partner is the current world number one in singles, Anna Kournikova.

Seles, who is hoping to win her first major in Melbourne, opens against newcomer Venus Williams in the opening match. "That's really going to be difficult, because I have no idea what her style of play is." Were she to win that match, she could have an encounter with the number two seed, Daniela Hantuchova. "My record against Daniela is abysmal. She's beaten me six times in six meetings. I mean, what can you say to that," she added with a weak smile. "Daniela has been quite emotional about losing the top spot, but I'm sure she's put it behind her and is focused on defending her title." Seles, however, simply refuses to look ahead. "Right now, I still have to play Venus Williams and only once that match is over and if i've won, will I focus on my next opponent.", Seles says.

Seles is looking forward to playing doubles and mixed doubles as well. "Anna and I are the number two team and we're playing very well, so I definitely have high expectations from us. I think we're overdue for another major, but it's a tough field.", Seles said. "Mixed doubles should be a blast. My main goal in that is to just enjoy myself and get in some good practice along the way."

Seles' thoughts on the women's singles draw:" I think this tournament is wide open. There is no clear-cut favourite. A whole bunch of girls could step up and take the title. Anna's the #1 player who's doing very well, Daniela's the defending champion, Alicia Molik came out of nowhere to win Canberra as did Martina Hingis in Sydney. Jennifer Capriati's burst onto the Tour with some great performances as well. And then there are all the newcomers such as Rubin, Davenport and the Williams Sisters as well as the other top players such as Kim, Elena and Maggie. It's a very interesting mix."

"I'm just really excited. I can't wait to watch it all unfold."

She isn't the only one.

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pam's Picks: Aussie Wide Open​

For the first time since last season's Australian Open, there is no clear favorite for the title. You have Anna Kournikova, Daniela Hantuchova, Martina Hingis, Alicia Molik, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati all playing extremely well.

If I had to pick one player, it would be Anna Kournikova as she has played great in the big matches lately.

Let's look at the 16's first.

Kournikova (1) vs. Harkleroad
Tough first round for Kournikova, the newly #1. Harkleroad could test Kournikova, but Kournikova should get through...but maybe in three.

Grzybowska vs. Clijsters (6)
Kim is not playing as well as she did to end the year. Don't be surprised to see her out in the 16's to the very talented Maggie.

Dokic (7) vs. Tanasugarn
This is a toughie. Dokic is making her comeback, Tanasugarn has been sort of slumping since winning Linz. Still, I'd favor Tanasugarn in the confidence department.

Rubin vs. Hingis (4)
Considering this is Rubin's second event and Hingis just won her first title, I'd be a fool not to pick Hingis. But stranger things have happened.

Dementieva (3) vs. Davenport
Dementieva is in a huge slump. She hasn't reached a final in ages, and she's about to defend a lot of points. Davenport could surprise though.

Capriati vs. Molik (8)
Molik is a seed for the first time in a slam, and she won Canberra. Capriati has reached 2 finals in 3 events played. Very tough match to call.

Seles (5) vs. Venus
Seles has been playing so well, it's hard not to choose her. But Venus has the unknown factor.

Serena vs. Hantuchova (2)
Serena has the unknown factor, and Dani has the pressure of defending. I think it's a good thing Dani lost #1, because now she can just play to win, not play to keep #1.

·
Banned
6,358 Posts
Rubin Ready for the Challenge

The last time we talked to Chanda Rubin she had a major temper tantrum but today its as if she is a whole new person...

"You know I talked with my coach, friends, and family last night and they cheered me up. I know I lost a heartbreaker last week and I know its time to move on. I just guess you know the inexperience to handle things like this. But I thought it over, got a new strategy, and now I'm ready for the challenge."

Rubin seemed so pumped, and perky it was as if she had just won a million dollars...

"I figure the more you are down on yourself the more you are going to lose, and hey if I lose I lose and if I win I win. Either way I know its always going to be hard to win because everyone on this tour wants to win, wants to play, and wants to become No. 1."

Before we had our private interview with Chanda Rubin we watched her play a match against her coach and wow was she going for everything. We counted that she must of hit 60 winners and only 2 unforced errors...

"He, he, you were watching? Yeah I wooped his butt *cough* 6-0, 6-0. No its just I was hitting everything well I have had such a confidence boost since last time I've talk to you. Obviously I believe it reflects in my game."

After she finished her match with her coach we watched her go over and see Hingis practising. We must say that Rubin wasn't the only one smacking the ball from side to side. If both can play like they did in practise this match should be good.

"I hope its tight. I'd rather lose 7-6, 7-6 then 6-0, 6-0. But I know I can stir something up and I know she can stir something up as well. Watch out Martina because I'm coming in full force :kiss:."

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Tuesday's Order of Play​

Laver Arena​

Singles Round of 16
Anna Kournikova (1) vs. Ashley Harkleroad

followed by

Singles Round of 16
Serena Williams vs. Daniela Hantuchova (2)

followed by

Singles Round of 16
Jennifer Capriati vs. Alicia Molik (8)

followed by

Singles Round of 16
Chanda Rubin vs. Martina Hingis (4)

Vodafone Arena
Singles Round of 16
Elena Dementieva (3) vs. Lindsay Davenport

followed by

Singles Round of 16
Monica Seles (5) vs. Venus Williams

followed by

Singles Round of 16
Jelena Dokic (7) vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn

followed by

Singles Round of 16
Magdalena Grzybowska vs. Kim Clijsters (6)

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Head To Heads; RD16

Anna Kournikova vs. Ashley Harkleroad
Kournikova leads 2-0

S1 Wimbledon RD16 Kournikova 1-6 7-5 6-4
S1 Canada RD16 Kournikova 4-6 6-4 7-5

Daniela Hantuchova vs. Serena Williams
First Match

Elena Dementieva vs. Lindsay Davenport
First Match

Martina Hingis vs. Chanda Rubin
First Match

Monica Seles vs. Venus Williams
First Match

Kim Clijsters vs. Magdalena Grzybowska
First Match

Jelena Dokic vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn
Tanasugarn leads 2-0

S1 San Diego RD16 Tanasugarn 7-6 3-6 7-6
S1 US Open RD16 Tanasugarn 6-4 7-6

Alicia Molik vs. Jennifer Capriati
Capriati leads 1-0

S1 Linz QF Capriati 6-2 6-7 6-2

·
Martina&Roger <3
7,425 Posts
I sent points :D Please use my points also for mixed! Thanx :kiss:

Good luck everybody :)

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK a few things:

1-If you have a question for me, don't ask me when you send points. I never look at points until I am about to do results, so it's a waste

2-No live scoring for RD16...I'm just too tired. It will return tomorrow.

Round of 16!​

Ashley Harkleroad def. Anna Kournikova (1) WALKOVER
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Not sure what happened, but Anna didn't send in points. This is tragic, because this was her chance to truly show she's #1.

Magdalena Grzybowska def. Kim Clijsters (6) WALKOVER
Again, not sure what happened to Kim.​

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Round of 16!​

Jelena Dokic (7) vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn​

First Set​

1-0 Dokic

2-0

3-0

4-0

4-1

4-2

4-3

4-4

5-4 Tanasugarn

6-4

Tanasugarn leads Dokic 6-4
Second Set

1-0 Dokic

1-1

2-1 Tanasugarn

3-1

3-2

4-2

5-2

6-2

Tamarine Tanasugarn def. Jelena Dokic (7) 6-4 6-2
Pam's Thoughts: Surprising in the sense that the seed lost...but not surprising considering Tami has beat Jelena both times, and Jelena just needs to find a good game plan​

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.