Tennis Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 3667 Posts

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
What ethnic group does "indigenous" refer to in this context? Because from what I can see, she doesn't look like she could have even a drop of aborigines blood in her.
Sorry, but if you were Australian or a New Zealander you could/would see it. It's probably the same as me not knowing until fairly recently that Madison Keys and Meghan Markle are "black."

·
Registered
4,353 Posts

·
Registered
8,813 Posts
If she does have some % of amerindian in her blood that still wouldn't make her indigenous.
Barty is half indigenous.
Is she though? The father has descents from the Ngaragu people, but that doesn't make him 100% indigenous, hence Ash can't be 50% indigenous. Maybe 1/8 or however those ancestors (seems to be her great-grandmother) came into play in the gene pool. Even Ash seems to think she is the odd one out.

Sorry, but if you were Australian or a New Zealander you could/would see it. It's probably the same as me not knowing until fairly recently that Madison Keys and Meghan Markle are "black."
Naah, Keys (father) and Meghan (mother) have distinctly black parents with the other half, their white parents. Now compare that to Ash's dad, there is no confusion, even from someone who doesn't come from down under. I have been watching cricket and rugby, Neighbours, Home & Away more than half my life so I know :sneaky:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Must be Elizabeth Warren style indigenous then if we look at her parents lol. Garbinhe actually looks the part, even though the admixture might be low.

What ethnic group does "indigenous" refer to in this context? Because from what I can see, she doesn't look like she could have even a drop of aborigines blood in her.
Is she though? The father has descents from the Ngaragu people, but that doesn't make him 100% indigenous, hence Ash can't be 50% indigenous. Maybe 1/8 or however those ancestors (seems to be her great-grandmother) came into play in the gene pool. Even Ash seems to think she is the odd one out.

Naah, Keys (father) and Meghan (mother) have distinctly black parents with the other half, their white parents. Now compare that to Ash's dad, there is no confusion, even from someone who doesn't come from down under. I have been watching cricket and rugby, Neighbours, Home & Away more than half my life so I know :sneaky:
I'm just going off what she said.
"Around the same time, Barty and her sisters learnt about their Indigenous background, which derives from their great-grandmother, a member of the Ngaragu people from southern NSW and north-eastern Victoria. The three girls began the process of registering with the clan, and learning what they could.
“My heritage is really important to me,” she says, putting her flat white down for a moment. “I’ve always had that olive complexion and the squished nose, and I just think it’s important to do the best I can to be a good role model.” People have, after all, been watching her since childhood."

If the members of thee Ngaragu people consider her one of them then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm just going off what she said.
"Around the same time, Barty and her sisters learnt about their Indigenous background, which derives from their great-grandmother, a member of the Ngaragu people from southern NSW and north-eastern Victoria. The three girls began the process of registering with the clan, and learning what they could.
“My heritage is really important to me,” she says, putting her flat white down for a moment. “I’ve always had that olive complexion and the squished nose, and I just think it’s important to do the best I can to be a good role model.” People have, after all, been watching her since childhood."

If the members of thee Ngaragu people consider her one of them then that's all that matters.
So she's got one-eighth Native Australian in her. That's more plausible than "half". Learned something new today. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Don't forget that I come from a society which has just about no live contact with African-American people (other than imported basketball players or coaches), and who see them only on TV. It's not always so obvious in such cases that someone will be considered black. There's a huge difference in colour between Keys and the Williams sisters, or Stephens or Muhammad, for example. Also, in my own case, I've never seen photos of Keys with her parents, or seen any reference to her "blackness."

The vast majority of "black" people in New Zealand are pure African (Somali, Ethiopian and so on), so are quite distinctive. Our Maori people (no matter what proportion of Maori blood they may have) are NEVER referred to as "black" - always "brown."

·
Registered
707 Posts
Don't forget that I come from a society which has just about no live contact with African-American people (other than imported basketball players or coaches), and who see them only on TV. It's not always so obvious in such cases that someone will be considered black. There's a huge difference in colour between Keys and the Williams sisters, or Stephens or Muhammad, for example. Also, in my own case, I've never seen photos of Keys with her parents, or seen any reference to her "blackness."

The vast majority of "black" people in New Zealand are pure African (Somali, Ethiopian and so on), so are quite distinctive. Our Maori people (no matter what proportion of Maori blood they may have) are NEVER referred to as "black" - always "brown."

this are her parents.
on some photos Madison looks white and some more mixed.

but do you mean in youre whole country there live only white people?
is there no multi culti society ? and you see only black people on tv ?
thats unbelievele :unsure:

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
but do you mean in youre whole country there live only white people?
is there no multi culti society ? and you see only black people on tv ?
thats unbelievele :unsure:
What's unbelievable is your ignorance. Did you not read what I wrote?

3581 - 3600 of 3667 Posts