Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an excerpt from Monica's own autobiography From Fear to Victory in which she talks about how she felt about the #1 ranking not being frozen(Chapter 4: Pages 21-23):

Less than a week after Gunther Parche attempted to end my tennis career and quite possibly my life, the Women's Tennis Association voted on the state of my ranking. The head of the WTA, Gerard Smith, met im Rome with seventeen of the top twenty-five players on the tour. He asked them to vote on whether or not to freeze my rank while I recuperated from the attack. The result was a "near-unanimous" vote against any protection of my ranking. I was told that all the top players were in agreement, with the exception of Gabriela Sabatini, who abstained from the vote. My ranking would not be protected, which meant Steffi Graf could regain the number one position with a win at the 1993 French Open. I was devastated.

My manager, Stephanie Tolleson, said it best:"What upsets Monica the most isn't the ranking as much as the way she's losing it. This guy set out to hurt her and her ranking, and now he seems to have accomplished the sick thing he was after. Certainly it had to be bittersweet for Graf to become number one in this way." Stephanie added that there was a general public perception that ranking should be won on the tennis court, not by a knife.

I was very surprised at the WTA's decision. I believed that the players would have thought more about humanity than their rankings. I have always had respect for my opponents-for their skills, strategies, spirits, and for all the hard work they've put in to achieve their respective rankings. The vote showed me the respect I felt for them was not returned.

I was disappointed to learn that Steffi Graf had agreed my ranking should not be protected. Steffi and I cried together in my hospital room in Hamburg. I believed that she'd be on my side, if only for a moment; that she wouldn't want to become number one as the result of a deranged fan's actions.

When asked by the press about ranking after the vote, Steffi stated,"I'm not even thinking about that. Knowing the guy was one of my fans, that's been difficult."

What amazed me most was that the media never picked up on the vote. They never recognized that all but one of the top players wanted to knock me out of the game. By 1993 I was winning every major tournament in the world. I was at the top of my game-feeling comfortable and confident. With me out of the way, the path would be clear for other players-especially those within reach of the top five positions.

Those players saw a chance to move up in the rankings, and they didn't seem to care that another human being had been stabbed for that opportunity. Rank doesn't mean anything, atleast not by itself. But couple rank with endorsements, bonuses from sponsors and millions of dollars are at stake. My lawyers have estimated that in the year following the attack I lost an estimated ten million dollars in income. In addition, contracts that would have gone to me went to other players.

Megadollars mean something to everyone. There are players whose incomes went up literally by millions after the attack in Hamburg. Suddenly, rank meant a lot. And you can ber that those players who moved up, who moved closer to number one than ever before, would have preferred me not to return to the tour.

Well, that was in Monica's own words. It's sickening when you think about it. How desperate were these women that they jumped at the opportunity to take over while the best in the game was down and out.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
steffi did not vote. she stayed out of it. I have my opinions why monica heard something different but that has nothing to do with monica personally, it's the same with a few other things.

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
Monica was out for two years, and they made her no.1 again when she got back. What more do you want them to do ?

Can you imagine the 1994 rankings otherwise ?

1. Monica Seles - depsite playing zero matches all year

2. Steffi Graf - one grand slam, and numerous other titles.

3. ASV - two grand slams.

4. Conchita Martinez - one grand slam.

etc.

Personally I think the WTA are to blame - what on earth is the point of having the vote less than a week later and not even discussing it with Monica ?

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
they could have made her one with a * saying criminals will not succeed. but then there is always how long and stuf

al I know is steffi was not at that meeting.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kart, the whole point was that at the time of the voting, no one knew how long she was going to be out for. She was expected to return in time for Wimbledon.

I think the whole thing was very disrespectful to Monica.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
I wonder if monica never thought I come back now and will kick their asses on court to set something straight. I know it's easier said then done and maybe that had ruined her fun in tennis too but still I could imagine such thoughts crossed her mind.

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Kart, the whole point was that at the time of the voting, no one knew how long she was going to be out for. She was expected to return in time for Wimbledon.

I think the whole thing was very disrespectful to Monica.
No one in their real right mind expected Monica to come back by Wimbledon. It was typical media hype just like all those rumours of comebacks that never happened.

The WTA were disrespectful to Monica by forcing the players to make a decision so rapidly and by not even giving Monica a chance to mildly recover and give a proper indication of when, if at all, she was going to come back.

It is not the players fault that the WTA put them into a position where they had to make a decision without enough time to digest the facts.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Thanks for the excerpt.
I was sort of surprised...Monica has never seemed as bitter as she does in that passage, on other public occasions and interviews where she has talked about her stabbing. I never knew that she was hurt by the other player's actions after the event.

·
Registered
24,739 Posts
well i don't blame the players either. although, had monica felt that players were rallying around her, she may have come back earlier-- just a thought.

does anyone know which #1 raznkings are included in her total of 180? just from 90-93?? if so, that's bogus. she should also get those from when she was co ranked with steffi... hell, she won a a slam, a tier 1, and made another grandslam final within her first 8 tournaments back.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kart said:
No one in their real right mind expected Monica to come back by Wimbledon. It was typical media hype just like all those rumours of comebacks that never happened.

The WTA were disrespectful to Monica by forcing the players to make a decision so rapidly and by not even giving Monica a chance to mildly recover and give a proper indication of when, if at all, she was going to come back.

It is not the players fault that the WTA put them into a position where they had to make a decision without enough time to digest the facts.
I agree that the decision for the ranking was made very early, however, the players did know what happened and the WTA was at fault, in fact, the WTA did just about nothing.

The players knew what that Monica had been attacked, that this was no ordinary injury, which is expected while playing a sport. They also knew who the best in the world was.

To quote Monica,"They treated it like a sprained ankle."

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
For Steffi to even be non-commitical towards to voting is sickening. You know it was a fan of yours, so you can´t come with the " non-comment" crap!!

Reactions: *JR*

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
The problem is not really to do with the ranking but more to do with the lack of support Monica received from her fellow professionals at the time. Rather than say it's an awful thing that happened and we support anything to help our colleague get back on the tour the no comments and non committal showed a lack of respect and compassion I believe. At the time I think Monica said the most supportive players to her and the only ones to keep in touch regualrly were Betsy Nagelsen, Gabriela Sabatini & Helena Sukova.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Monica was given a second chance to prove her worth as a true Champion. She came back strong but suddenly she realized that the game is changing differently with the emergence of more talented players. Did she do something to improve her game???? NO!!!!! that's why she can't win GS titles anymore and all she could do now is look back during her successful years.:sad:

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
but on the other hand I would not do that either. I mean when I am not close to somebody (and monica was not close to many players since she was above them tenniswise) then I would also not get close when that person goes through something horrible that would be rather hypocrite imho

maybe that's not good and I admit my social skills are not that good to say it nice but it's not all that easy to just point the finger and say all those people acted bad.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Irma, it's not about being hypocritical. It's about putting professional and personal differences aside, to help someone when they're down.
Did the whole thing about freezing someone's ranking if they are out for more than six months come about as a result of this?

Poor Monica,
things were never the same for her again.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.