Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
If you wanna see some nice video clips of the best points ever played at the USO go on the following link : http://www.heineken.com/usa/cc/usa/usopen2004/votingmain.html
The Roddick vs Chela point was voted the point of the century played at the USO!
Forgot the rest of the results :eek: :angel:
The Evert vs Navratilova was also great!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Too bad there ain't many great women points on that website ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump/

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jakeev said:
Uh is there anyway of telling somebody that was from the 1981 semifinal that Martina went on to win and not from 1983?
:wavey: Sorry have no idea

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Serena+LenaDrule said:
:wavey: Sorry have no idea

LOL no problem but they sure screwed that one up. Although in the 83 final Martina did have a spectacular shot where she chased a similar lob and knocked it back at a surprised Evert at the net for a forced error.

That is what I thought would have been shown in that clip.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump for newbies.:wavey:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
That is one of my all-time favorites. Just a beautiful battle, with both women playing spectacular tennis and looking wonderful on a warm, late summer afternoon. Not that many people talk about this match when bringing up the great Evert-Navratilova battles, but this is my top pick.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Mark38 said:
That is one of my all-time favorites. Just a beautiful battle, with both women playing spectacular tennis and looking wonderful on a warm, late summer afternoon. Not that many people talk about this match when bringing up the great Evert-Navratilova battles, but this is my top pick.
i agree, it was one of the best of their matches, replete with an upper-deck 'bar brawl' interrupting play....which unfortunately got martina "pumped" LOL

another great one is the wimbledon 85 final...i had the beginning on the other day (intro from bbc), and they interviewed wade about it, and i got so psyched up remembering how much i thought chris would clobber martina...if i ever wanted to kill someone in a match, i could just play the beginning of that tape and know i would walk onto court thinking about how to dismantle my opponent with forceful precision. of course, chris only did so in the first set, but i still think if they played that match 10 times, chris would have won 6 of them. unfortunately, july 2, 1985 was not one of those days.

Smarty-UK, there are a dozen or so point-clips of evert, many of which are against martina, here: http://chrisevert.net/CE-PassingShots.html and they are :lick:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Rollo said:
Daze-I'm ordering some videos from the Evert.net site and can't wait as one match is that 1981 semi. I have to admit I was cheering for Martina at the time though:lol:
i was actually just watching some of the 81 uso final with austin/nav...i didnt remember martina being down 15-40 on tracy's serve at 6-5 austin in that final set...she saved 4 match points in all before getting herself into that tiebreak!! and the match was won with miss tracy austin's fastest serve of the match: 74 miles per hour. great stuff.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
That was the last year where the top players were all using wooden racquets. Daze, do you have any idea how fast Martina was serving in that match?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Andy T said:
That was the last year where the top players were all using wooden racquets. Daze, do you have any idea how fast Martina was serving in that match?
they didnt comment on her fastest serve while i was paying attention...i happened to catch the tidbit on austin at just the right time. they did say she was serving in the low 90s though.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
daze11 said:
i was actually just watching some of the 81 uso final with austin/nav...i didnt remember martina being down 15-40 on tracy's serve at 6-5 austin in that final set...she saved 4 match points in all before getting herself into that tiebreak!! and the match was won with miss tracy austin's fastest serve of the match: 74 miles per hour. great stuff.
Didn't Martina serve a double fault on matchpoint?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Rollo said:
Daze-I'm ordering some videos from the Evert.net site and can't wait as one match is that 1981 semi. I have to admit I was cheering for Martina at the time though:lol:
Oh, yes, I'd order the 1985 French final if only someone would change the ending. :D

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yeah, she doubled on matchpoint as I recall. As, much as I loved Tracy and was thrilled to see her back at the top, I was firmly rooting for Martina to win. It was a thriller, one of the greatest US Open finals ever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.