Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
30,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got really bored from not having any tennis to follow. That's why I started to watch many highlight videos (WTA+GS) of the last years and there were so many outstanding matches. I though it would be fun to crown our favourite matches of the last decade!

I know that several threads about this have been opened already but as far as I know we never actually created a poll or a list.

It's not much work for you: You simply fill out the following list with your favourite matches (players, tournament, year) and send it to me via PM. I collect them, I count the points and post the ranking at the end of the voting period.

#01 - 20 Points
#02 - 18 Points
#03 - 16 Points
#04 - 14 Points
#05 - 12 Points
#06 - 10 Points
#07 - 09 Points
#08 - 08 Points
#09 - 07 Points
#10 - 06 Points
#11 - 05 Points
#12 - 05 Points
#13 - 05 Points
#14 - 05 Points
#15 - 05 Points
#16 - 05 Points
#17 - 05 Points
#18 - 05 Points
#19 - 05 Points
#20 - 05 Points

You obviously don't have to submit 20 matches if you don't have as many favorites. But in my opinion, it can be quite difficult to narrow it down to 20 matches given how many there are every year . If you'd like to nominate less you simply start at the top and leave the rest open.

What you nominate is entirely up to you. You can nominate three-set-matches, two-set-matches, matches with high quality, matches with a lot of drama, memorable matches of your fav etc.

Every WTA or Grand Slam MD match is eligible that has been played between the first week of 2010 and the last week of 2019.

The dream scenario would be plenty of lists from all kinds of users and fanbases so we have a solid Top 50 or something in the end. However, I might shorten the final results to a Top 25/Top 20 if there aren't many people participating. In case interest is too low, I might cancel the whole thing alltogether and never come back to this lol. But I guess I could try at least and see how it goes.

Deadline is: Sunday, 28th June 2020.

In the meantime, you can use the thread to remind others of some gems or advertise your selections.

·
Premium Member
39,236 Posts
Subjectively and heartfully yours...

1. 2014 AO QF: Radwanska d. Azarenka 6-1 5-7 6-0

Oh yeah, my favorite of the decade. I think that even people who don't like tennis must find the highlights of that one captivating.

2. 2014 YEC SF: Serena d. Wozniacki 2-6 6-3 7-6 (8-6)

What a match! I'm still thrilled when I think about it. Thank you, queens!

3. 2010 Brisbane F: Clijsters d. Henin 6-3 4-6 7-6 (8-6)

Probably the best I've ever seen from both vs each other. Beyond this world.

4. 2013 Wimbledon SF: Lisicki d. Radwanska 6-4 2-6 9-7

Sentimentally yours. My two faves facing each other in a Wimbledon SF. 😢 And they delivered.

5. 2018 YEC F: Svitolina d. Stephens 3-6 6-2 6-2

Oh another sentimental one. That run of Elina in that YEC. 😍 She was so feisty!

6. 2014 Dubai SF: Cornet d. Serena 6-4 6-4

I think that was even better than the Wimbledon one. Alizé is so entertaining when she plays well!

7. 2015 USO SF: Vinci d. Serena 2-6 6-4 6-4

Potential winner of this thread I guess. The way that match went is almost surrealist. You couldn't make a better motion picture. And the oc interview!

• before the match, did you think you...
  • naaah (italian accent)
Never forget Robbie! :ROFLMAO:

8. 2011 AO SF: Li Na d. Wozniacki 3-6 7-5 6-3

Woz was so good... but Li Na even better. Saved a MP.

9. 2012 Wimbledon QF: Kerber d. Lisicki 6-3 6-7 (9-7) 7-5

They looked like twins on the court, those two all white dressed blonde Germans with a braid. What a fantastic match! Both going for their shots.

10. 2013 Wimbledon R4: Lisicki d. Serena 6-2 1-6 6-4

A memorable victory over Serena who was so supreme she'd been undefeated for a while. Serena was up and down in this match but meant to stay in control and was kept off guard at the end, despite leading 3-0 and 4-2 in the third. Well done, Sabine. You played with your heart and your joy truly was something to see.

11. 2015 Stuttgart SF: Wozniacki d. Halep 7-5 5-7 6-2

Ah! Woz on clay. Assisted by Arantxa for that tournament. Was wearing an orange headband and was sliding on clay like a skier. Beautiful, entertaining - let's not forget Halep either. You need two players to have a great match (the final, won by Angie, was great as well).

12. 2018 Wimbledon QF: Kerber d. Kasatkina 6-3 7-5

Ah! Always something to play on the Wimbledon center. So the people discovered Kasatkina. Some entertaining exchanges in this one, especially towards the end. Not the sharp kind of tennis, but the nice rallying one with its bits of unpredictability.

13. 2015 Indian Wells QF: Lisicki d. Pennetta 6-4 6-7 7-6

One of the great wins of Sabine.

14. 2018 YEC RR: Svitolina d. Wozniacki 5-7 7-5 6-3

I think it was Elina's first match of that YEC run (5 wins in a row), and Wozniacki was playing very well, very consistent... so it was a great match. The fan was happy.

15. 2018 Dubai QF: Wozniacki d. Kerber 7-6 1-6 6-3

After her AO win, Wozniacki had to stand by her rank (with a slam in the bag to the least). Kerber was one to stand with (she was one of the AO favorites in the last four). That match showed Wozniacki at her best.

16. 2018 AO F: Wozniacki d. Halep 7-6 3-6 6-4

Big final of two great fighters who had saved match points during their respective run! It felt like it, and it was like it.

17. 2018 FO F: Halep d. Stephens 3-6 6-4 6-1

Great final with rallies worthy of the name. Smart tennis.

18. 2014 Wimbledon R4: Kerber d. Sharapova 7-6 4-6 6-4

The best example of focus i've ever seen. Angie was confident from the start, always believed she could win. She was absorbing the aggressiveness of Sharapova. She's the best counterpuncher of the decade.

19. 2017 USO SF: Stephens d. Venus 6-1 0-6 7-5

There was some kind of miracle happening in that one, for Sloane to the least.

20. 2019 Beijing QF: Osaka d. Andreescu 5-7 6-3 6-4

A promising rivalry - and one can add Barty, Kenin and several others to the list, to make us hope the tour will resume.

But let's be careful: i'm quite worried about how people may choose to be blinded by their hopes in those times of covid-19. It's still there. Let's not be caught off guard.

·
Registered
30,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subjectively and heartfully yours...
Thanks for contributing! It's not PM but consider them counted.

----

Some more matches to consider: On this blog there is a overview about the best matches of each year.

...and there are many more pages like this you can use!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have 10 for you, many of them feature some of my faves, but hey, they were great matches.

1 Andreescu d Kerber, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 2019 Indian Wells Final
2 Bouchard d Sharapova, 7-5, 2-6, 6-4, 2017 Madrid, R2
3 K.Pliskova d V Williams, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6, 2016 U.S OPEN, R4
4 Martic d Sabalenka, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4, 2019 Zhengzhou, Q.F.
5 Halep d Davis, 4-6, 6-4, 15-13, 2018 AUST.OPEN, R3
6 Kerber d S Williams, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 2016 AUST. OPEN F
7 Sevastova d Mertens, 6-7, 6-4, 11-9, 2019 FRENCH OPEN R3
8 Yastremska d Garcia, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6, 2019 Strasbourg Final
9 Hantuchova d Kirilenko, 6-7, 6-3, 6-3, 2012 Pattaya City Final
10 Lisicki d S Williams, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4, 2013 WIMBLEDON R4

Bianca's win may well have ushered in a superstar. We know what she did later in the year. This was one of her DRAMATIC classics, many more to come hopefully.
Genie much hyped match with Sharapova lived up to it, it was gripping t.v. Easily the best match genie has played in the last couple of years.
Karo's win over Venus was a massive match, great viewing, this gave her the impetus to go all the way to the final.
Martic v Sabalenka was an amazingly good match, so many winners by both players, great sportsmanship, crowd really got into it, commentator did as well. Well worth finding the match if you can, a real crowd pleaser.
Halep's match with Davis was a rare one, both played great tennis at the same time, unlucky to have a loser, although you thought Simona would pull through.
Angie's win over Serena i think was her best slam win, because i think Serena's play was of a high standard, and was fully deserved.
Can't stand Sevastova, but her match with Mertens was gripping, she saved 5 match points, and was drop shotting like crazy, great viewing.
Dayana's win over Garcia was a cliffhanger, over 3 hours, both had match points, really dramatic, and my favourite final of last year for absolute drama.
Daniela & Maria were 2 of my favourites and played a great final, if it got a little dull, you still had two beauties to watch for around 3 hours.
Sabine's win over Serena i think personally was her best Wimbledon win, against an opponent who was never going to give it to her.

It's actually hard to remember best matches, but i saw these in the entirety, and they come to mind.
Definitely try and find the Martic v Sabalenka Match, it really is a corker,( Even though Aryna Lost), hopefully the W.T.A. will post the full match someday.

Hope these are helpful.

·
Registered
624 Posts
1. Bianca Andreescu def Angelique Kerber IW Finals 2019

2. Serena Williams def Victoria Azarenka Wimbledon QF (2015?)

3. Angelique Kerber def Sabine Lisicki Wimbledon QF 2012

3. Serena Williams def Angelique Kerber Wimbledon F 2015

4. Serena Williams def Victoria Azarenka US Open (2012?)

5. Naomi Osaka def Petra Kvitova Aus Open F 2019

6. Bianca Andreescu def. Belinda Bencic US Open SF 2019

7. Serena Williams uses WTA to wipe the floor (London Olympics, 2012). This is really the run of the decade.

8. Naomi Osaka def Andreescu Beijing Open 2019.

9. Simona Halep def. Sloane Stephens FO Finals 2018

Miscellaneous:
Andreescu vs Mertens US Open 2019
Osaka vs Hseih Aus Open 2019

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Hmm, matches with my favs, let me think: (not a ranking, just to remind myself of options)

Barty - hmm, she had some excellent matches against Petra Kvitova, Kiki Bertens.
Venus - in recent times, her comeback win against Kvitova, Bertens was fun. 2017 had a lot of great matches as well, but otherwise, I'm going to have to think a lot about this lol, there are probably so many matches.
Svitolina - I loved all her 3 set matches at IW - Kenin, Maky, Ash, Bibi. That Beijing match against Kenin was great as well.
She's had some good ones against the other counter punchers (like Woz at Singapore, Simo at Doha).
She had some thrillers against Garcia, as well (esp the one in China)

Miscellaneous:
Ons Jabeur vs Sevastova/Kasatkina at Moscow
Hsieh vs Pliskova, Halep (Wimb)
Hsieh vs Naomi (any of them)
Halep vs Kerber, Davis (AO)
Wozniacki vs Kerber, Kerber vs Halep (Eastbourne)
Halep vs Sloane (Montreal)
Bibi vs Kerber (IW)
Bibi vs Halep (YEC)
Naomi's run at AO had a lot of good ones
Vekic vs Konta, Garcia, (on grass) Jules (USO)
Yastremska vs Garcia
Serena vs Vika (Cincy, USO '12)
Halep vs Sharapova (RG, USO)
Osaka vs Bibi (Beijing)
Bibi vs Mertens (USO)
Muchova vs Pliskova (Wimb)
Muchova vs Riske (WTA Elite)
Riske vs Kerber (Zhengzhou)
Riske's Wimbledon run in general
Bencic vs Kenin (Mallorca)
Serena vs Halep (IW)
Belinda's Dubai title run in general
Wang vs Sabalenka (China)

I realized this list is heavily biased towards the end of the decade. Can't help it, the older matches have faded away from memory. 😓

Some older matches:
JJ vs Serena (Rome)
Stosur vs Serena (RG)
Kuznetsova vs Schiavone (AO?)
Li Na vs Wozniacki (AO)
Li Na vs Sharapova (Rome)
Clijsters vs Henin (both matches in 2010 were dramatic)
Clijsters vs Venus (USO)
Wozniacki vs Serena (YEC)
Aga vs Mugu (YEC)
Aga vs Errani (YEC)
Aga vs Vika (AO)
Aga vs Domi (W 2016? Probably other good ones as well)

Probably many more lol, I have no idea how I'm going to make a top 20 list 🤭

·
Premium Member
39,236 Posts
Many I had to leave off my list as well... initially I had more 30 matches (helping my memory with wiki for the events, years and rounds...), among them that Krunic win over Kvitova at the USO

·
Premium Member
39,236 Posts
^ I had the 2016 AO QF win of Kerber over Azarenka in my initial list too

·
Registered
487 Posts
1. 2019 Indian Wells F Andreescu d. Kerber
2. 2010 Brisbane F Clijsters d. Henin
3. 2011 Australian Open R4 Schiavone d. Kuznetsova
4. 2018 Australian Open R3 Halep d. Davis
5. 2014 Wimbledon R3 Kvitova d. Venus
6. 2013 Wimbledon SF Lisicki d. Radwanska
7. 2011 Australian Open SF Li d. Wozniacki
8. 2010 Roland Garros QF Stosur d. Serena
9. 2014 Roland Garros F Sharapova d. Halep
10. 2016 Doha QF Radwanska d. Vinci
11. 2012 Wimbledon R1 Paszek d. Wozniacki
12. 2017 US Open R1 Sharapova d. Halep
12. 2014 Miami R3 Sharapova d. Safarova
13. 2018 Strasbourg Final Cibulkova d. Pavlyuchenkova
14. 2019 Beijing QF Osaka d. Andreescu
15. 2014 Australian Open R4 Ivanovic d. Serena
16. 2012 YEC RR Azarenka d. Kerber
17. 2010 Australian Open R2 Henin d. Dementieva
18. 2011 Wimbledon R2 Venus d. Date-Krumm
19. 2012 Wimbledon R3 Serena d. Zheng
20. 2012 US Open QF Azarenka d. Stosur

HM:
2019 Wimbledon R4 Riske d. Barty
2018 Australian Open SF Halep d. Kerber
2018 Australian Open F Wozniacki d. Halep
2019 Australian Open F Osaka d. Kvitova
2012 Roland Garros R1 Razzano d. Serena
2016 Wimbledon R4 Cibulkova d. Radwanska
2017 US Open SF Stephens d. Venus
2013 Cincy F Azarenka d. Serena
2014 Cincy SF Ivanovic d. Sharapova
2014 Montreal R3 Venus d. Kerber

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
If anyone wants to post highlughts of their matches id be appreciative :B

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
Very tough to do a list like this. Some were great, but not that important. Like Safina beating Sharapova in Paris.
I'll list 6 that stick out to me, but there 50 others
Halep/Kerber 2018 AO SF
Dementieva/Venus 2004 Miami QF
Serena/Graf 1999 Miami F
Razzano/Serena 2012 FO R1 (This was a fucking monster if you missed it)
Wozniacki/Dementieva 2010 NH SF
Myskina/Zvonareva 2004 SD SF

Reactions: rucolo

·
Premium Member
39,236 Posts
8. 2010 Roland Garros QF Stosur d. Serena
10. 2016 Doha QF Radwanska d. Vinci
HM:
2019 Wimbledon R4 Riske d. Barty
I had them on my initial list too! Some shots of Aga in that Doha match were unreal, even Robbie was smiling in disbelief! 😃

·
Premium Member
39,236 Posts
Very tough to do a list like this. Some were great, but not that important. Like Safina beating Sharapova in Paris.
I'll list 6 that stick out to me, but there 50 others
Halep/Kerber 2018 AO SF
Dementieva/Venus 2004 Miami QF
Serena/Graf 1999 Miami F
Razzano/Serena 2012 FO R1 (This was a fucking monster if you missed it)
Wozniacki/Dementieva 2010 NH SF
Myskina/Zvonareva 2004 SD SF
You seemed to forget the decade: 2010-2019 🤭

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
Yeah, I got lost in the nostalgia. I had 3 from 2010-now
Halep/Kerber, Razzano, Wozniacki/Dementieva. I'll throw in 2018 AO final, a match I enjoyed every point and Serena/Azarenka 2012 USO F

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
If you don’t post highlights just get out 🤣

Reactions: goat
1 - 20 of 115 Posts