Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the free time, I have created a small program (learning some coding) to create some tennis trivia questions. I think they are fairly difficult, although I may be proven wrong by some of the trivia experts on TF. If you answer the question correctly, you can pick the next topic.

Note: I’m using the Tennis Abstract database so Grand Slam events to $125k events are considered WTA events (not including Fed Cup) from January 1st, 2000 until now are considered.

Current Topics

Tournament Finals
Players by Ranking
Wins and Losses

Question 1: Tournament Finals

Besides Serena and Venus, who is the oldest winner of a tournament while ranked inside the top 100in the 21st century.

Question 2: Players by Ranking

Who is the lowest ranked player to win a match on the WTA tour in the 21st century?

Question 3: Tournament Finals

Many tournament finals are contested between players side by side in the rankings. A recent example is the 2018 Australian Open final with World Number 1 Simona Halep playing World Number 2 Caroline Wozniacki. That is an example of the highest ranked side by side pair. Who are the lowest ranked side by side pair to play each other in a WTA tour final?

·
30,858 Posts
Almost sure to be wrong on all of them but here goes

1. Kimiko Date, although i think she wasnt top100 so damn it

2. Assuming you are counting unranked, first to my mind is Emiliana Arango, but its probably some other returned player with barely any ranking...

3. Only one coming to my mind is Danilovic Potapova in Moscow. But probably it's something in Bogota.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

1. Kimiko Date, although i think she wasnt top100 so damn it...
Kimiko's last WTA win was over Patricia Maria Tig in the first round in Taipei, November 2015, aged 45, but she was ranked 167. Her last WTA tournament win was in Seoul in September 2009, a week before her 39th birthday, but she was ranked only 155 for that one.

@Snowwy hasn't said that this is singles only :D, so the obvious answer is Martina Navratilova, who was 49 and 10 months when she and Nadia Petrova won the Canadian Open (Rogers Cup) in 2006. Martina was ranked 63.

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kimiko's last WTA win was over Patricia Maria Tig in the first round in Taipei, November 2015, aged 45, but she was ranked 167. Her last WTA tournament win was in Seoul in September 2009, a week before her 39th birthday, but she was ranked only 155 for that one.

@Snowwy hasn't said that this is singles only :D, so the obvious answer is Martina Navratilova, who was 49 and 10 months when she and Nadia Petrova won the Canadian Open (Rogers Cup) in 2006. Martina was ranked 63.
My bad, singles only. As pointed out Kimiko Date is the oldest player to win a tournament on tour, but she was not in the top 100nat the time.

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1. Kimiko Date, although i think she wasnt top100 so damn it

2. Assuming you are counting unranked, first to my mind is Emiliana Arango, but its probably some other returned player with barely any ranking...

3. Only one coming to my mind is Danilovic Potapova in Moscow. But probably it's something in Bogota.
Thanks for trying all 3. :)

I replied out of order but Date is the oldest winner, just not the oldes that was in the top 100.

I am not counting unranked, the player needs a ranking. That said, Arango is a great answer (and a player I’ve never heard of) but she was ranked 510 when she won her two matches.

I think you’ve misunderstood Q3. You are looking for two players ranked side by side. Like 10 and 11 for example.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

I think you’ve misunderstood Q3. You are looking for two players ranked side by side. Like 10 and 11 for example.
They were actually the pair that I thought of as well, but Danilovic was 187 and Potapova at 204 for that event. Considering that she only got in as a Lucky Loser, having been beaten by Paula Badosa in qualifying, Danilovic did an awesome job to take the title.

·
Registered
28,735 Posts

·
30,858 Posts

I replied out of order but Date is the oldest winner, just not the oldes that was in the top 100.

I am not counting unranked, the player needs a ranking. That said, Arango is a great answer (and a player I’ve never heard of) but she was ranked 510 when she won her two matches.

I did misunderstood Q3, being like that it's almost impossible to guess without some clues. XP

·
30,858 Posts
For number 2 is it Stephens in 2017 before the US Open, some tournament in the US Series?
I remember she lost the first matches so probably she got a very bad ranking with those 1 pts

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did misunderstood Q3, being like that it's almost impossible to guess without some clues. XP
Someone got the same question on MTF. I will leave it without a clue for now. I can add a new question though.

Question 4: Tournament Finals

Who is the lowest seeded player to win a Masters event (I'm not sure what they are called on the WTA tour exactly, but the 1000s).

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For number 2 is it Stephens in 2017 before the US Open, some tournament in the US Series?
I remember she lost the first matches so probably she got a very bad ranking with those 1 pts
She is the 8th lowest ranked. That was a crazy run she had. Might come up in a future question. :)

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Q2: Bellis when she beat Cibulkova at USO that year?

Reactions: pattyclijsters

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Active Questions.

Question 3: Tournament Finals

Many tournament finals are contested between players side by side in the rankings. A recent example is the 2018 Australian Open final with World Number 1 Simona Halep playing World Number 2 Caroline Wozniacki. That is an example of the highest ranked side by side pair. Who are the lowest ranked side by side pair to play each other in a WTA tour final?

Question 4: Tournament Finals

Who is the lowest seeded player to win a Masters event (I'm not sure what they are called on the WTA tour exactly, but the 1000s).

1 - 20 of 203 Posts