Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder why the press and tennis tv coverage have not pointed to the fact that the Williams sisters lost their older sister as being a barrier to their return to the top of women's tennis. Even though Serena has fully ascended once again as a result of her Australian Open win, it takes on a different meaning to me because it is almost like she had to do it to satisfy more than herself, meaning the expectations of fans and the press who miss her sister and her dominating the tour.

I do not feel both have been given enough respect in the press for simply finding their way back to the courts. Even though they continue to compete admirably well both sisters are not in the winner's circle as often as they used to be. This fact appears to be a moral transgression according to the ESPN's TV coverage. I think it should be footnoted more often, though not overexposed out of respect for the sisters and their family, that they have been through a tragedy more important than any knee operation and more distracting than Hollywood acting and fashion designing can ever be. I just receive the impression that ESPN (Cliff Drysdale and Mary Carillo) and the written press are obsessed with the idea that the sisters are distracted by other professional endeavors and don't put enough of their lives into tennis. It seems like the comments are out of jealousy or maybe more accurately out of a belief that the Williams sisters don't deserve more than the glory of winning and the money from tournaments and endorsements.

To be as good as they have been and still are, these girls have put in so many hours on the court. I feel that the TV and written press in general expect really good players to be as great and dominant as Chrissie and Martina, and that is not realistic.:fiery:

Before I end, I want to bring my focus back to the sisters. I would prefer a more sensitive critical perspective from Carillo and Drysdale and from similar commentators on TV or in the written press that isn't so focused on whether the sisters are as great in terms of their results as we remembered them to be because both have soldered on through a lot of trials and tests in admirable fashion. As a fan I think that applying less pressure and fewer expectations is in order for all fans, members of the press, and naysayers who have been so their entire career in exchange for a more accurate and empathetic view of what they have been through and what they go through. Both girls would more than likely fulfill those expectations we have since they are both equally exceptional champions compared to the bulk of professional tennis players ever.:worship:

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
downtheline said:
I wonder why the press and tennis tv coverage have not pointed to the fact that the Williams sisters lost their older sister as being a barrier to their return to the top of women's tennis. Even though Serena has fully ascended once again as a result of her Australian Open win, it takes on a different meaning to me because it is almost like she had to do it to satisfy more than herself, meaning the expectations of fans and the press who miss her sister and her dominating the tour.

I do not feel both have been given enough respect in the press for simply finding their way back to the courts. Even though they continue to compete admirably well both sisters are not in the winner's circle as often as they used to be. This fact appears to be a moral transgression according to the ESPN's TV coverage. I think it should be footnoted more often, though not overexposed out of respect for the sisters and their family, that they have been through a tragedy more important than any knee operation and more distracting than Hollywood acting and fashion designing can ever be. I just receive the impression that ESPN (Cliff Drysdale and Mary Carillo) and the written press are obsessed with the idea that the sisters are distracted by other professional endeavors and don't put enough of their lives into tennis. It seems like the comments are out of jealousy or maybe more accurately out of a belief that the Williams sisters don't deserve more than the glory of winning and the money from tournaments and endorsements.

To be as good as they have been and still are, these girls have put in so many hours on the court. I feel that the TV and written press in general expect really good players to be as great and dominant as Chrissie and Martina, and that is not realistic.:fiery:

Before I end, I want to bring my focus back to the sisters. I would prefer a more sensitive critical perspective from Carillo and Drysdale and from similar commentators on TV or in the written press that isn't so focused on whether the sisters are as great in terms of their results as we remembered them to be because both have soldered on through a lot of trials and tests in admirable fashion. As a fan I think that applying less pressure and fewer expectations is in order for all fans, members of the press, and naysayers who have been so their entire career in exchange for a more accurate and empathetic view of what they have been through and what they go through. Both girls would more than likely fulfill those expectations we have since they are both equally exceptional champions compared to the bulk of professional tennis players ever.:worship:
Good luck with that, honey! :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.