Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOCHI, Russia, July 16 (Reuters) - Nine-year-old Dasha Sharapova failed to match the feat of her elder cousin, Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, losing in the final of the annual youth all-Russian clay court championship on Friday.

While Maria won the Wimbledon crown playing in her first major final this month, Dasha, who turned nine last month, came up just short of her maiden title.

Playing in her first "official" tournament, the younger Sharapova had not dropped a set on her way to the final before losing to 10-year-old Muscovite Katya Tugarinova 6-1 6-2.

Following Maria's rise to stardom, Dasha too has become something of a local celebrity.

When she came on court, a group of young boys, sitting in the stands, greeted her by shouting: "Hey, Shara, Shara!"

But their vocal support did little to inspire Sharapova, who was simply overwhelmed by an older, more powerful opponent.

07/16/04 06:22 ET

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
FraziersFan said:
Following Maria's rise to stardom, Dasha too has become something of a local celebrity.

When she came on court, a group of young boys, sitting in the stands, greeted her by shouting: "Hey, Shara, Shara!"

07/16/04 06:22 ET
:lol: :haha:

they're hitting on a 9yrs old already!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
wtafan_7 said:
The boys were probably 5 years old! :lol:
why wouldnt i be realli shock if they were realli 40yrs old+

:scared:

·
Banned
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beauty_is_pink said:
u kno how dirty old men are these days :rolleyes:

sorri didnt mean to offend u! :wavey:
But enough about Pam Shrivers husband :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i wonder what type of game dasha has. they say she lost to someone only a year older than year who was more powerful. i know that kids can develop at different speeds but a year isnt much difference so her opponent shouldnt have been much more powerful unless her opponent was a power player and dasha is more of a thinker. it will be interesting to see whether dasha develops a different game to masha or whether they will end up with similar styles.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
a final is still a final tho and to reach the final of your first tournament isnt a bad start. im surprised that the title is negative (LOSES first final) rather than positive. they could have titled it something like 'younger sharapova reaches final of first ever tournament' or something positive rather than negative. the pressure has now been put on her to improve and a 9 year old doesnt need that, improvement comes when it comes and i fear that dasha will now think she hasnt done well enough to satisfy people and will try and force improvement which doesnt work (not to mention the pressure she'll be putting on herself to improve).

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I wonder if they will be sending Dasha to America? She's already two years older tham Masha was when she went. maybe they believe she will do better in Russia.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
xan said:
I wonder if they will be sending Dasha to America? She's already two years older tham Masha was when she went. maybe they believe she will do better in Russia.
dasha only started play tennis at 7 (2 years ago) by that age maria had already played for about 2 1/2 years (maria started at about 4 1/2 years old). and as i said in RR maybe they are keeping dasha from america because they dont want the similarities between masha and dasha enhanced even more by sending her to the same school.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts