Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any top/junior tennis players gone on to play other sports at a high level??
I was just thinking about the legendary welsh rugby player JPR Williams, who played at Wimbledon as a junior but then went on to be one of our finest ever players and British Lion.
And Ann Jones (of course;)) who won Wimbledon in 1969, but who was also a British table tennis champion I believe.
Anyone else????

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Wayne Ferriera played footie really well and chose tennis instead he's also a fine golf player!!!

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Martina did take part in competition with horses(dresuur?) but I believe it`s wasn`t a very big succes so she stayed with tennis:)

·
25,384 Posts
NBA star John Lucas was good enough to play for World team Tennis at least one year.

Many of the early champs tried more than one sport. 5 time Wimbledon champ Lottie Dod was perhaps the best all-rounder. She grew bored with tennis and won a silver medal in archery, and took up field hockey as well.

http://www.tennisfame.org/enshrinees/lottie_dod.html

One factor in Lottie's success was that as a "child", she didn't have to wear the heavy corsets(bras) made of whale bone, or such long heavy skirts, giving her the advantages of comfort and speed. Many women suffered from bloody feet(no tennis shoes in those days) and bosums, not to mention heat exhaustion. Not until 1905 did another teen, cheeky May Sutton, set off a storm rolling up her sleeves to show her arms! The scandal;)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Jelena Dokic is a blackbelt in taekwondo!

I wonder if she's won any tournament.......or beaten anyone up ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Didn't Martina once get called up for the Swiss national womens football team? Sort of a publicity stunt I think it was as the match was during a tournament so she had to turn it down. She does look quite nifty with a football though.

Dunno where I heard it though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
John Lucas would probably have done much better in both tennis and basketball if the evil cocaine hadn't interfered.:mad:

Didn't Steffi Graf race with the German 400m track team and come in third? I thought I read somewhere that she would have made the German Olympic team with her time.:)

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see some of these players are even *more* talented than I thought! Think I agree that Lottie Dod was one of the most talented all rounders. And I'm sure I heard Graf *did* run a time that would have got her in the German athletics team too!
I've heard Conchita plays football, but I don't know how good she is! ;)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hana Mandlikova's father was an Olympic track star and for a time, she wanted to follow in his footsteps as a little girl. She ran at the track once for him and he told her she stunk, but much, much later confessed to her that her times were worthy of being a real athlete in that sport, but that he lied to her about it because he didn't want her to get into that sport due to a lot of steroid abuse that he felt was rampant in that sport at that time.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Steffi runned the 800 meters under the 2 minutes with ease.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Venus once set a record time for running the mile in local competition in Compton. Don't know if it's been beaten since.

Martina plans to pursue a career in equestrian after her tennis career is over. She missed out on some horseriding licensing thing by 3 points a few years ago. I'm sure that with more time to concentrate on it, she'll get that license and we might witness Martina excelling in equestrian too.

Karina Habsudova was a gymnast but decided on tennis.

Magnus Norman had to choose between ice-hockey and tennis for a career because he was good at both. He chose tennis.

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
Wonder if Lindsay is good in volleyball! ;) Marti loves sports.. basketball, football, horseriding.. rollerblading.. skiing.. ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
He didn't progress to another Sport, but Matthew Perry of 'Friends' was a high ranked US junior tennis player apparently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts