Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was so LOL bizarre that I have to mention it. I found this hunting down old tennis scores. At last a true documented catfight on the women's tour-even if it was 70 years ago!

Berlin, August 20, 1928

Rising German tennis star Cilly Aussem suffered two seemingly unexplainable loses to a lower ranked German Frau von Reznicek. Aussem's mother was convinced Reznicek had hypnotized Cilly!

The story gets even better. Moma Aussem made her charges public by writing a letter to the President of the German tennis Federation, asking him to do something about it.

At a tennis club in Berlin Reznicek demanded a retraction of the charges of hynotism, "and failing to get it, swung a hard right at Frau Aussem's right ear and a hard left at Frau Aussem's left ear, gaining at least one victory without the use of hypnotism"

':eek:

Reznicek was banned from tournaments for 6 weeks and both women are countersuing. Poor Cilly has often had to witness her mother's disruptive scenes at her matches.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
LOL Sam, she does. Very interesting article.:eek:

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rebump. Cilly Aussem had lots of confidence issues. Her tennis mother didn't help matters. She only got better in 1930 after Big Bill Tilden convinced mama to let him take Cilly under his wing on a Riviera tour. With Tilden as a coach she blossumed and won 2 majors before health issues forced her to retire.

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ilse Friedleben- an older player from the pre-war era.

Ilse Friedleben had the misfortune of being in her prime in the early 1920s. After the war German players were banned from International tennis events for several years. Women like Friedleben had to make due with national events.

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is tiny little Aussem walking on court with Hilde Krahwinkel (later Sperling). Hilde was near or over 6 feet.

This 1931 Wimbledon final was famous for being so boring some spectators walked out. Both women played "safe" as they each had blisters so bad they could hardly walk. Aussem won-while Sperling had to wait until 1935 to win a slam.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bump up:) This is still the only public catfight I can recall. Jaeger-Blout and Hingis-Kornikova were in the locker room, while Reznicek socked it to Aussem's mom in the stands.

Don't forget Yulia Maleeva v an Australian journalist at the Federation Cup, while her two daughters were playing a deciding set on court, which they promptly lost. :lol:

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't forget Yulia Maleeva v an Australian journalist at the Federation Cup, while her two daughters were playing a deciding set on court, which they promptly lost.
Do tell more Sumarov! Didn't she also have a tiff one year when Manuela was a junior? That may have ended in Manuela quitting he rmatch-I think it was in the Orange Bowl.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Here is tiny little Aussem walking on court with Hilde Krahwinkel (later Sperling). Hilde was near or over 6 feet.

This 1931 Wimbledon final was famous for being so boring some spectators walked out. Both women played "safe" as they each had blisters so bad they could hardly walk. Aussem won-while Sperling had to wait until 1935 to win a slam.

Caption: Hingis and Davenport walking out on court.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do tell more Sumarov! Didn't she also have a tiff one year when Manuela was a junior? That may have ended in Manuela quitting he rmatch-I think it was in the Orange Bowl.
I forgot about that one! Yes, I think it was in the final of the Orange Bowl, when Manuela was playing possibly Darling Carling, and Ma Maleeva got all worked up because she thought the calls were all going against her daughter, but I would need to check to be sure.

I don't think anyone knew why she set about that journalist - she just seemed to plough into the stands and start laying into him! Maybe she suspected him of being a member of the Bulgarian Communist Party (besides raising three daughters with the sole aim of beating Martina after her own loss to Martina once, she was very active in the pro-democracy movement in Bulgaria in the late 1980s).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts