Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Decent article.

Kim Clisters' niceness is amazing to me.
I think it was Carillo that said that you could tell Jen and Serena hate each other.

Was he saying it was Serena or Venus that got misty eyed when talking about Davenport not being around? aww haha.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
"Myskina was furious with Yuri during last year’s WTA Championships, where he reportedly made rude hand gestures toward the other Russians, cursed at them and laughed when Vera Zvonareva fell on the court."

:lol: Cool, I thought it was just a rumour he did that. Yuri, cool guy.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Blonde_Ambition7 said:
Decent article.

Kim Clisters' niceness is amazing to me.
I think it was Carillo that said that you could tell Jen and Serena hate each other.

Was he saying it was Serena or Venus that got misty eyed when talking about Davenport not being around? aww haha.
Kim can´t be a real human :lol:

I remember after she had to retire this year in Berlin she came out of the players´ area with a very worried look on her face but she still managed to smile at her fans. Good person.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Spunky83 said:
"Myskina was furious with Yuri during last year’s WTA Championships, where he reportedly made rude hand gestures toward the other Russians, cursed at them and laughed when Vera Zvonareva fell on the court."

:lol: Cool, I thought it was just a rumour he did that. Yuri, cool guy.
Yuri also got into an arguement with one of the spectators at the WTA Championships. I think it was after Maria won and he was celebrating. The camera panned to him and he was like "fuck you" to some guy in the crowd.

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
Sharapova has yet to play Fed Cup for Russia and may never do so. Myskina once vowed not to play if Sharapova was on the team, butnow says she will reconsider her stance in ‘06 — if Sharapova becomes more of a “team” person. But she says she’s over the Russian-ness issue and doesn’t care if Sharapova has decided to live in the U.S., mentioning that one of her close friends, Svetlana Kuznetsova, lives in Spain.

“Maria’s never played for us and we don’t know where her heart is,” Myskina said. “She’s never played team events, and if she did, maybe she would like it.”

·
49,001 Posts
"After her stabbing at the hands of a deranged fan of Steffi Graf’s, Monica Seles never kept her resentment of the German quiet."

Is this true?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hmmm, he's been a little selective with the facts.....

he focuses heavily on animosity between chris and martina. Truth is, while they're was distance between them at one point, they're now great friends. Martina is god mother to one of chris' kids and they still spend time to together.

It boggles my mind that an article on friendliness between tour pros fails to acknowledge the fact that the two greatest rivals that the game has ever seen overcome competitive barriers and became long term friends.

·
49,001 Posts
“I get along well with a lot of girls,” she said. “When I stop playing, I want to leave the tour with friends. At the end of the day, I want to know I can call them. Friends are more important to me.”

Poor, sweet Kim. :lol:

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Nancy Lieberman hated Chris Evert...and she pushed that onto Martina on-court. I love the story Chris tells of how she was practicing next to Martina and Nancy and Chris hit a bullet backhand to the fence near Nancy's head. :lol: :worship: I love that Chrissie wasn't intimidated at all!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Justin. said:
“I get along well with a lot of girls,” she said. “When I stop playing, I want to leave the tour with friends. At the end of the day, I want to know I can call them. Friends are more important to me.”

Poor, sweet Kim. :lol:
Kim has her priorities right, I think. Who knows? Being a total bitch might not have made her win more. Tis way she walks away respect intact and rich to boot!

Its a myth that you need to be mean to win.
Roger federer is not an asshole. He beats everyone senseless, yet he doesnt need to 'hate' 'em to do it.

IMO champions need focus, self belief and talent, not "meanness".

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Justin. said:
"After her stabbing at the hands of a deranged fan of Steffi Graf’s, Monica Seles never kept her resentment of the German quiet."

Is this true?
sounds bitter

·
Registered
750 Posts
SelesFan70 said:
Nancy Lieberman hated Chris Evert...and she pushed that onto Martina on-court. I love the story Chris tells of how she was practicing next to Martina and Nancy and Chris hit a bullet backhand to the fence near Nancy's head. :lol: :worship: I love that Chrissie wasn't intimidated at all!
Martina now acknowledges that what she needed to win was self belief and not to 'hate' chris. That period of animosity was short lived anyway. Again, they remain great friends to this day.

I think its more important to focus on how their friendship endured, rather that than dwelling on the negative. At least they're not like mcenroe and connors or mcenroe and llendl :tape: .

·
Registered
24,677 Posts
Very interesting article. I like the part between Jennifer and Serena. I knew both talked not very nicely in their interviews around 2000,2001,2002, but both grew up..you could see that mostly at their directions at the net in 2004 or when they were asked about each other in interviews :) I hope both will come back strong and will finally face each other one day in a Grand Slam Final - wouldn't that be great? :)

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
arcus said:
Martina now acknowledges that what she needed to win was self belief and not to 'hate' chris. That period of animosity was short lived anyway. Again, they remain great friends to this day.

I think its more important to focus on how their friendship endured, rather that than dwelling on the negative. At least they're not like mcenroe and connors or mcenroe and llendl :tape: .
I agree! I think it's amazing they are friends considering the nature of the sport and good they both were! While the "hate Chris" attitude WAS short lived (thank god), it's still a great story about Chrissie batting a backhand near Nancy. ;)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
This article supports what I've always believed and that is most top athletes no matter the sport aren't really friends.

·
Senior Bitch.
10,731 Posts
S-T-E-V-E said:
I hope both will come back strong and will finally face each other one day in a Grand Slam Final - wouldn't that be great? :)
It would be. They have had some fantastic matches.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts