Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination or does it seem like there is very little buzz around Tennis Night in America and the Billie Jean Cup both March 2? What gives?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
If you live in the NY area, like I do, there is alot of buzz.

However, there is also a forecast of alot of snow for the area tonight into tomorrow, which I hope doens't hurt the event :scared::

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
My kids and I will be doing some of the Big D stuff, but there's like no buzz down here at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I'm in NYC. Nobody really cares. Ticket sales are very weak--definitely won't sell out. You can still get front row seats now if you want to spend over $1000 per ticket. I just don't think the the line-up is strong enough to attract the casual fan. Most people who aren't tennis fans have never heard of Jelena or Ana and probably don't care too much about the Williams sisters. Maybe if Sharapova were playing, there would be more interest.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I live in NY and work in NYC, but I had no idea until now that this event even existed... so yeah, probably not a good sign :shrug:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Who cares..?
Anyone who sees 4 Yanks in the Top 100 and gives a crap about the future of the game in this country.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in NY and work in NYC, but I had no idea until now that this event even existed... so yeah, probably not a good sign

It's all over the radio stations. My co worker won tickets,from 98.kiss fm..It's in the New paper! It's on the trains..Its on some board's at 125street!Maybe some of you people stay home,that why you don't see them!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I have seen the signs and heard all about it. If I can get out of this work obligation, I will go. I don't think Sharapova will sell the tournament, she is not well known in NY, at least not over the WS. People are a bit cautious with the recession and might not want to spend money on non-essential things. The overnight snow forecast isn't helping either, although they should be able to play as MSG is an enclosed arena

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
I live in NYC as well and I have seen adverts while walking around the city as well as commercials. I have heard of it on the radio, so its pretty well known and buzzed about here and if you don't think it is, you either don't care, are not a fan of any of the people playing, aka Sharapova fans who are delusional to think she would sell out an event when people in NYC don't care about her as much as the Williamses. I think the ticket prices are just too expensive and at this time in the economy, that was a stupid move by the organizers.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Are they seriously charging $1000 for an super short half-assed exo between the Serbs and Willies? That's alot of money for very little tennis what doesn't matter anyway. It's not like they are going to mud wrestle naked. Seriously for that kind of money I would be expecting to get front row seats at the Wimbledon final followed by the naked mud wrestling(not with Serena involved because that would just be icky).

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Yeah, I'm in NYC. Nobody really cares. Ticket sales are very weak--definitely won't sell out. You can still get front row seats now if you want to spend over $1000 per ticket. I just don't think the the line-up is strong enough to attract the casual fan. Most people who aren't tennis fans have never heard of Jelena or Ana and probably don't care too much about the Williams sisters. Maybe if Sharapova were playing, there would be more interest.
:spit:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
It's also a huge recruiting drive for junior tennis players that's a national event.

·
Registered
27,920 Posts
Are they seriously charging $1000 for an super short half-assed exo between the Serbs and Willies? That's alot of money for very little tennis what doesn't matter anyway. It's not like they are going to mud wrestle naked. Seriously for that kind of money I would be expecting to get front row seats at the Wimbledon final followed by the naked mud wrestling(not with Serena involved because that would just be icky).
You didn't hear? BJK is going to mud wrestle with the champion. I thought every one knew that:p

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Yeah have to say as much as it's being advertised as something meaningful at the end of the day it's just an exho...and from the sound of the ticket prices it's an over-priced exho. Still hope it's streamed online somewhere...for free. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts