Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We demand to know. What anti racism procedures have the ATP and WTA got in place. Every other public body has them. In particular what steps do they take when a crowd gets out of hand to the level it did yesterday.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
and again.. IT WAS NO RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or is Martina Hingis suddenly black? :rolleyes: damned blacks should be positively discriminated before they stop talking about racism.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Yes, I am sick of the Racism flowing from the Williams family and there fans :(

It is not a crime to be white :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a crime to be white. In fact some of the very best people in the world are white. Some of my favourite poeple are white. Its a crime though to be white and verbally abuse others.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
' For the hundreth time...the French are not
racists!! How do you explain Yannick Noah?

I've seen more crowd racism directed at
Asian, and Middle Eastern players in American
events than I have at Serena or Venus. American
crowds have no respect for them at all. They
don't yell things at them; but their condescending
attitude and total indifference is obvious. You don't
see these players throwing out the race card whenever
the match doesn't go there way.

Serena, and Venus have it so easy.

If there's anybody racists it's Americans. Yes, us!!
We expect everyone to speak English, we expect everyone
to love us, we expect everyone to do things our way.
I think it's really telling that some posters here were making
a big thing about Justine's French accent. If insulting someone's
accent when they speak English isn't a racist comment I don't
know what is!!!

Reactions: disposablehero

·
Registered
731 Posts
I doubt there was any racism involved, it's just an easy excuse for non-white people to bring out when situations get tough. Basically deal with situations you find yourself in, in a grown up manner and you'll be respected for it!

People really support Chanda Rubin, myself included, becasue she is a good player and because she is a kind and generous person. This is somehting the Williams sisters must prove that they are too.

I went to a school with many overseas students and do not regard people who have a different coloured skin as any different. People should be treated equally and fairly BUT only if they deserve it, ie are pleasant, decent, kind and unselfish. It's the basic rule of humanity surely?

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
All4Williams said:
Its not a crime to be white. In fact some of the very best people in the world are white. Some of my favourite poeple are white. Its a crime though to be white and verbally abuse others.
It is also a crime to refer to a crowd as racist when they were obviously not. Martina Hingis, Arantxa Sanchez and Martina Navratilova are just 3 names that automatically come to mind to disprove your assertions.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
It IS racism. 100% definate racism. Were talking about crowds acting hatefully against a player not just cheering in support of the other.

They acted like Serena was somekind of criminal when she never did anything that deserved this treatment. They never would verbally attack Davenport like this when she was no. 1.

Let me ask you something per4ever would you have done the same things the belgians in that crowd did?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
some things yes ;) but I agree that it run out of hand.. booing someone for missing a first serve is terrible.

Believe me this is NOT racism. It's just the perfect excuse for blacks to use when people are not rooting for them.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
No but they verbally attacked Martina Hingis even worse - and she's pretty much the same race as the average French person, isn't she?

But to answer your question, no I would not do it myself, but I think it's bad manners not racism. You can't have a policy that no-one can ever cheer against anyone who is not white.

On the other hand, they certainly should have a racism policy to prevent players being excluded from tournaments etc but from what happened to the Israelis I guess they don't.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
DunkMachine said:
It IS racism. 100% definate racism. Were talking about crowds acting hatefully against a player not just cheering in support of the other.

They acted like Serena was somekind of criminal when she never did anything that deserved this treatment. They never would verbally attack Davenport like this when she was no. 1.

Let me ask you something per4ever would you have done the same things the belgians in that crowd did?
So I guess you have never seen Davis cup?

I can only imagine you are saying these crowds were RACIST against Hingis, ASV and Navratilova? or like many many people on this board you have no idea what the word RACISM means or the implications of using it in a false manner. It just sounds good to use it in an argument when you have nothing else to back yourself up with

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I think maybe, sometimes, Serena and Venus have actually been victims of racism. But, honestly, France is a multi-cultural and multi-ethnical society, they've dealt brilliantly with immigration and, for instance, the situation is much better than it is here in Italy. Yesterday the crowd were against Serena not because she's a black girl, but simply because she hasn't been able to capture their support as Justine has done. Serena is a great player and a huge fighter, but that aggressiveness and killer instinct, her saying "I lost because I played badly, she didn't deserve to win", her declarations against the French during Gulf War II... they didn't quite give her a positive aura, going into the French Open
Otherwise the crowd should have booed Rubin, too, when she played Justine in the quarterfinals, but they didn't. They should have booed Venus against Zvonareva (who was the underdog just as well).

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Flatstat said:
So I guess you have never seen Davis cup?

I can only imagine you are saying these crowds were RACIST against Hingis, ASV and Navratilova? or like many many people on this board you have no idea what the word RACISM means or the implications of using it in a false manner. It just sounds good to use it in an argument when you have nothing else to back yourself up with
Bravo!!!!!!! Not sure what a dutch jerk like Skankmachine knows about racism anyway.

But..............the French........their reputation for being arrogant, rude and obnioxous only continues.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Every public body should have an anti racism policy. Period. Nobody is asking that blacks be given any special favours. You sink or swim according to your ability.

Flatstat - you need this Info. At a Davis Cup the home team would have been discipled by the umpire. That rule is clearly stated and yesterday would have called for its application.

We are noty arguing about whether Serena should or should not have won the match.

We are saying that Serena and Venus or any other player should not be exposed to that level of Booing and abuse. If Serena says that she loses only when she plays badly, it is her belief. Whether or not that belief helps her is up to her. She should not be booed for saying that.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
All4Williams said:
We demand to know. What anti racism procedures have the ATP and WTA got in place. Every other public body has them. In particular what steps do they take when a crowd gets out of hand to the level it did yesterday.
What exactly would you want them to do?

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
per4ever said:
some things yes ;) but I agree that it run out of hand.. booing someone for missing a first serve is terrible.

Believe me this is NOT racism. It's just the perfect excuse for blacks to use when people are not rooting for them.
And that my friend is BULLSHIT. You think that saying that is just another excuse. How the hell can you know there is absolutely no possibility of any racist feelings in aan entire hatefull crowd. How the FUCK can you know. What were saying is that it can be an underlying motive. The first dominant black tennis players are being treated disrespectfully for no proper reason allmost exclusively. Hmmz why is that?! Chanda is a puppy and a mediocre player and gets no attention because of that. But Vee and Reena are sensational and a better target.

Everything evolves and sadly so does racism. Racists are dumb, but they ain't retarded enough to let their motives be apparent.

I don't give a rat fuck if you don't like the Williamses I do however take offense when "fans" start being hatefull. I'm not hatefull towards anyone except Hingis. WHY?! Because she is a poor excuse for an athlete, she has no heart and love for the game because she's a quitter. But I still applauded her points and appreciate her skill.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maybe we should have an anti anti-racism nonsense procedure. This has nothing to do with racism at all! The crowd was cheering for the underdog, many of them where fans of Justine (Belgians, French speaking) and they felt that Justine could win. They just didn't sympathise with Serena and it got worse because of those line calls. Serena was right about that but you can't bash on the crowd for this. I was also very emotional in front of my TV-screen, everyone there must have been very emotional. It's just normal, even if it is not always fair for the opponent. This stupid racism nonsense should stop. Is there racism in athletics? or golf? or NBA?

It will not be in Serena's favour if this "anti-racism" talk will continue in the future. It is not a way to become popular. It's a natural self-reflex that people will not sympathise anymore with a player that puts their ethics in doubt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
andy-c76.
Serena said that when she loses a match, she likes to believe that it was because she played badly. This gives her something to work on. Instead of too bad "the other person played very well" which lives her nothing to work on for the future.
Now the level at which Serena speaks and is willing to go to to improve is beyond many people's comprehension that is why they fail to understand these simple statements.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
All4Williams said:
andy-c76.
Serena said that when she loses a match, she likes to believe that it was because she played badly. This gives her something to work on. Instead of too bad "the other person played very well" which lives her nothing to work on for the future.
Now the level at which Serena speaks and is willing to go to to improve is beyond many people's comprehension that is why they fail to understand these simple statements.
Answer my question. I'm dying to know what you would do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
King Lindsay,

The umpire should stop - postpone the match until the crowd gains a measure of self control. Tennis is not supposed to be a bull fight.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts