Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tennis magazine's May 2005 issue lists the 40 most memorable moments of the past 40 years and of course Evonne Goolagong's 1980 Wimbledon win is nowhere to be found. I figured it wouldn't be in the actual list since the Borg/McEnroe tiebreaker took place the next day, but I thought she might get a small sidebar, or something.

At the end of the feature there is an interesting page listing who has been on the cover of the magazine the most times over the past 40 years. I searched through all the names and Evonne was in the bottom pack with only 2 covers.

One less than Marcello Rios, Luke Jensen (!), Tom Okker and Raul Ramirez!!!!!
Three covers less than Brian Gottfried and Clark Graebner!!!!!!
But equal to Anna Kournikova.

Wierd considering Goolagong was at or near the top of the women's game for the greater part of a decade and won 7 out of 18 slam finals that she played in.

Okay, I am done bitching. :wavey:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mark38 said:
Tennis magazine's May 2005 issue lists the 40 most memorable moments of the past 40 years and of course Evonne Goolagong's 1980 Wimbledon win is nowhere to be found. I figured it wouldn't be in the actual list since the Borg/McEnroe tiebreaker took place the next day, but I thought she might get a small sidebar, or something.

At the end of the feature there is an interesting page listing who has been on the cover of the magazine the most times over the past 40 years. I searched through all the names and Evonne was in the bottom pack with only 2 covers.

One less than Marcello Rios, Luke Jensen (!), Tom Okker and Raul Ramirez!!!!!
Three covers less than Brian Gottfried and Clark Graebner!!!!!!
But equal to Anna Kournikova.

Wierd considering Goolagong was at or near the top of the women's game for the greater part of a decade and won 7 out of 18 slam finals that she played in.

Okay, I am done bitching. :wavey:

This is sadistic, Mark38! Surely you're not going to wave this in front of our faces and then not tell us what the 40 Greatest Moments are????????????????

Also, is this the mag which is currently running down the 4o Greatest Players of the past 40 years? If so could you possibly list #s 25-28. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 40 greatest moments are kinda boring and I am off to the gym but I can defiently list the 25-28's for ya.

28. Ilie Nastase
27. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
26. Jim Courier
25. Venus Williams

Well, at least Evonne will rank higher than Venus. But c'mon, winning a second Wimbledon after having a child is pretty big news. Plus, I think has only been done one other time in the past 90 years.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I wonder if it's possible that Evonne's 1980 win is somewhat overshadowed by that year's mens final. So many people regard the Borg/McEnroe final as the greatest match ever. But in the context of the tennis year 1980, her back to back wins over Austin and Evert after becoming a mother must have been big news.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.