Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the March '02 Tennis magazine last week. I was wondering what people think of this mag? It seems to me it is all advertisements, instruction and pictures of resorts. Very few articles about players or tournaments. There is a 6 page spread on Henin and Clijsters, but the article is not very in-depth. The magazine has been this way for a while and I find it boring.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I haven't seen it yet but the advertising is a good way to pay for the costs and I enjoy the instruction parts although sometimes it might be a bit technical if you are mostly a fan and not a player. I enjoy both the things for fans and for players since I am both.:D

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
I am currently letting my subscription run out, because i am thinking of going to tennis week magazine. It seems to be more informative about what is really going on in the scene of tennis. I agree with you mark, i find it quite boring now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
well I'm subscribed to that magazine and i noticed that it just repeats itself all the time:

"ADD POWER TO ALL OF YOUR STROKES"
"GET 15MPH EXTRA ON YOUR SERVE" ....... BLAH BLAH BLAH

There are always practice issues before a grand slam preview so it just sucks! and most of the pages are full of ads n shiyet :rolleyes: but it's all good...

:wavey:

·
25,876 Posts
Right on Mark. We haven't had a decent tennis mag here in the US since World Tennis in the 1980;s, when they still had in depth articles and all the results from round one of every event(damn important before the internet!). The best Tennis mag I ever say in English was Tennis Australia(they even had pull-out posters in a lot of issues), but the Aussies say that's gone to the dogs too:eek:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much is Tennis Week? Is it an actual weekly or in name only?

Rollo, do you remember when World Tennis reinvented itself in the summer of 1991? It became this oversize gorgeous glossy with Sampras on the cover and a Wimbledon preview inside? I am pretty sure this was the very first and LAST issue of the redesign. Bummer. I loved WT in the 70's and 80's.

·
Premium Member
19,845 Posts
Well I have been subscribing to Tennis mag for a couple of years now and the quality has gone down since Chris Evert has become the editor and chief. All I see is advertisments for resorts, and tennis tours. I mean they try to give the scoop on some of the subjects but it just doesn't fly. It's not all boring, just not that interesting.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Mark35 said:
How much is Tennis Week? Is it an actual weekly or in name only?
Anyone know the answer? I saw the subscription is like $30/year...which would not be bad if its once a week I guess.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
OK, I just looked at the print schedule...It is published 16 times a year...roughly every 3 weeks! For 30 bucks, that is kind of a lot.

·
25,876 Posts
I used to get it, from 1996 to 1999. I got a big tennis bag with the subscribtion when i signed for it at the 1996 uS Open, so my advice is if you want to cut the cost(and get a free goodie) go for a 2 year subscription and sign up at a tennis event.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Haven't got the US Tennis Mag over here yet. The Australian one is again bad- I wrote a thread saying how bad the Feb issue was and March ain't much better. In one article, the sentence hasn't even finshed and the artcile ended. They then have a large photo of Farina Elia and note that Serra Zanetti has moved up to 37!. Tennis weekly sounds great!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It must be a world epidemic. I whole heartedly agree with Monster. Australian tennis magazine has been crap since the early 90s. They've tried to pump it up with the graphics, but it has backfired, and the magazine has ended up looing like a copy of TigerBeat, or Smash Hits

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I got it half price at a tournament. That is the best time to subscribe to Tennis Week, I paid $25.00 for 2 weeks and got Bud Collins Tennis Encyclopedia as a free gift.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I used to like Tennis World but our bookstore doesn't carry it any longer, Tennis match was the best for all the gossip but they went bankrupt.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Yeah, I still get it Tennis Magazine but I don't like it. I'll have to give Tennis Week a try.
Has anyone ever gone to Tennis Magazine's Demo Day's? There is one in Boca Raton. I was wondering if it's any good?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts