Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that South Africa has returned to the tennis community in the past 15 years, how long will it be until we start to see some native Africans from this country rich in tennis tradition and history?

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is no money for tennis in SA. Last year, they almost had to forfeit a Davis Cup relegation tie because they didn't have enough money to resurface the court. They saved the tie by moving to another venue where the Fed Cup had been played the week before. Fed Cup paid to have that court resurfaced.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sanneriet said:
There is no money for tennis in SA. Last year, they almost had to forfeit a Davis Cup relegation tie because they didn't have enough money to resurface the court. They saved the tie by moving to another venue where the Fed Cup had been played the week before. Fed Cup paid to have that court resurfaced.
Thanks for responding! I was hoping someone would reply, but sometimes I get a little too focused on tennis issues and the average poster on this board doesn't seem to want to concentrate that long. My sister actually lived in South Africa back in the late 70s, and it was a different world then, as you probably well know. I am aware of much of how apartheid has affected the way things were, but really have heard precious little about what has happened to the South African tennis program, or whether there is a concerted effort to begin training native Africans to play tennis. It would seem that this would be a fertile source for tennis players, much the same way players from Africa are popping up all over the NBA and in other major sports. Can't the ITF step in and take this ball and run with it?!? :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.