Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennis.com's Tignor: "Federer: effortless, Sharapova: there's nothing but effort"

http://66.232.148.140/blogs/thewrap/index.asp

The double hair flip and mini-jog before she serves are exasperating, and I’m not sure I would have the patience to stay in my return stance through her various rituals. Which is the point, I suppose. I timed Sharapova between a few of her service points and she clocked in at 26 or 27 seconds every time, just over the 25-second limit. Sharapova controls the tempo of a match—and drives her opponents crazy—with precision. This weekend, though, her play was more fun to watch than usual, as she steamrolled Martina Hingis and Elena Dementieva to win her first tournament in nine months.

Glamour girl status aside, Sharapova doesn’t play a pretty game. But watching her hack her forehand into the corners on Saturday I found myself thinking, “Well, Steffi Graf’s was no beauty either.” Not that the two are comparable, exactly—Graf’s forehand was one of the all-time weapons, and she was twice the mover Sharapova is. What’s impressive about Sharapova is how consistent she is with such a herky-jerky motion and small margin for error. With Federer, everything is effortless; with Sharapova, there’s nothing but effort. In every great shot she hits, you can see the hours of grindingly repetitive target practice that went into it. Which is just as impressive, in its own way.

Sharapova hadn’t won in so long, I forgot how she used to celebrate. Remember the screaming at God, the long kisses to the crowd, the way she crumpled to the ground and closed her eyes like she’d just been shot after she beat Serena Williams at the WTA Championships? Saturday she honed it down to a civilized, albeit girly, dual fist-pump.

:tape:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I know it's slightly off-topic, but I've always though Steffi's forehand was beautiful :hearts:. So unorthodox, but so nice to watch.

But that article is way harsh. Comparisons to Steffi never turn out well.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Someone wants to get into her pants:lol:;)

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
its the results that count not whether they make it seem effortless or not :shrug: Granted Federer and Graf are way more accomplished tennis players at this point in time (and i think Graf will never be upstaged ;) ) but the whole effortless /effortful discussion makes me cringe :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm sure Federer exerted a considerable amount of effort for his tennis to be effortless.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
I wish I had Steffi's forehand....her backhand...hell everything! I wish I had Steffi's game. Sharapova's game is great too. I want that as well. I just want everything!!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
wow

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
Oneofakind0490 said:
Someone wants to get into her pants:lol:;)
Is that the answer for everything? everytime someone makes a critique of Maria they want to get in her panties?

Perhaps consider something new... there really are issues.

but the Artcile is on to something. She DOES control the tempo, and you'd be irritated too if you were playing against her. In fact, i'm not so sure her grunt lovers would love it so, if they were on the other side of the net, having to endure banshee screams when they were trying to focus.

And the effortless/effort things is spot on.

Brilliant article. :tape:

·
Banned
6,444 Posts
Marshmallow said:
Is that the answer for everything? everytime someone makes a critique of Maria they want to get in her panties?

Perhaps consider something new... there really are issues.

but the Artcile is on to something. She DOES control the tempo, and you'd be irritated too if you were playing against her. In fact, i'm not so sure her grunt lovers would love it so, if they were on the other side of the net, having to endure banshee screams when they were trying to focus.
The only real "issue" here is your continual stalking of Maria threads. I mean, you talk more about her than her fans.

Now, who did you say Hingis was going to defeat at Indian Wells???

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Federer hits with as much effort as anyone :lol: the force doesnt come from nowhere. Its just the differences in strength and styles and the effect of having the shriek. This is just like Courier at the AO bragging for 5 minutes about how effortless Federer is and how he never makes a noise and on the very next serve he grunts :lol: :eek: Maria's forehand can definitely be jerky depending on location but since her backhand is a completely different story the author neglected to mention it. :tape:

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
MarJenAll20 said:
The only real "issue" here is your continual stalking of Maria threads. I mean, you talk more about her than her fans.

Now, who did you say Hingis was going to defeat at Indian Wells???
MarJ you'll find you have probably made more posts refering to me, than i have about Maria. Stop stalking ME!

And stop living in the past. Martina lost to Maria yes... fair play. But Hardcourts probably won't bring out hingis' best, compared with how she could perform on clay, grass perhaps, or even indoor courts.

They're next meeting will be new, and what has gone before will matter not.

Now i know you are capable of being sensible... so please stop harassing me. Don't address me... i'll address you.

:)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Marshmallow said:
In fact, i'm not so sure her grunt lovers would love it so, if they were on the other side of the net, having to endure banshee screams when they were trying to focus.
A Venus fan is complaining about the grunting, It just show how hypocritical you are :lol:

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
WIMBLY2004 said:
A Venus fan is complaining about the grunting, It just show how hypocritical you are :lol:
Whooooooooops.. did i say grunt. Can't say that when we speak of Maria. That is no grunt.. it's louder than a police siren. It's a Banshee style scream. It was hilarious at the AO when she had her third match point against Serena. :lol: Chicken being strangled is probably quieter.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Marshmallow said:
Whooooooooops.. did i say grunt. Can't say that when we speak of Maria. That is no grunt.. it's louder than a police siren. It's a Banshee style scream. It was hilarious at the AO when she had her third match point against Serena. :lol: Chicken being strangled is probably quieter.
If her screaming annoys those like you, good on her, keep screaming Maria :lol:

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
WIMBLY2004 said:
If her screaming annoys those like you, good on her, keep screaming Maria :lol:
This is my final post here... honestly, but how does a girl develop an uncontrollable grunt like this? So many players out there ... yet only one with such a loud sound.

I'm really curious. Food for thought. :)

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Marshmallow said:
This is my final post here... honestly, but how does a girl develop an uncontrollable grunt like this? So many players out there ... yet only one with such a loud sound.

I'm really curious. Food for thought. :)
Maria's been doing it since she was a little kid so you can just say its natural for her :p Shes met opponents in recent times who have at least equalled her in loudness

1 - 20 of 30 Posts