Tennis Forum banner

541 - 560 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
@AwonderfulKiwi how are things in NZ? I've been vaguely following but I couldn't really ascertain exactly what's happening with the location/source of the new cases and the government response.
There are only a couple of new cases, stemming from a Defence Force worker who infected a colleague and, somehow, a university student working in a central city shop. It's still unknown how the latter happened, as no direct physical link to, or contact with, each other has been established. Despite that, genomic sequencing of their infections shows no intermediate host, which argues for direct contact of some sort. Best guess appears to be some sort of surface contamination which was picked up, but nobody can establish where that might have occurred. Both people are now in quarantine, and the government doesn't believe any further action is necessary as all their close contacts have returned negative tests to Covid-19.
I saw today that the NSW government is contacting people who've come from NZ to notify them that they may have been in contact with cases in NZ. I wonder if that will happen in Melbourne too - today our deputy Chief Health Officer said they're ready for the remote possibility of cases coming in to Melbourne from NZ and NSW.
I think that's just precautionary. The chances of anyone having been in contact with these people, and then travelling to Australia, is miniscule.
I really hope NZ's hotel quarantine program tightens up now after this. It's almost certain nothing will come of this latest scenario but after what happened in Melbs I don't think we can ever be too careful.
Despite what might seem to outsiders as some sort of "lapse," we've had something like FOUR cases in the community from more than 60,000 people through managed isolation, and all have been clamped down immediately. That's a far cry from what happened in Melbourne.
Also, I'm glad travel between NZ and AUS has been eased and I wonder if the NZ government will make any announcements about the reverse direction in time for the AO.
Fingers crossed from this side, too.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
8 weeks you get sick and tired of hotel and venue food. Imagine only traveling between the two - with training and matches with only your team. Barty will win this event since she is the home buddy.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
8 weeks you get sick and tired of hotel and venue food. Imagine only traveling between the two
Who said anything about 8 weeks? It will be 2 weeks of quarantine where Uber Eats and other delivery services can give you further variety in food if that's an issue.

I'd think even a spoiled and entitled tennis player could deal with this, let alone the reasonable ones who would just be thankful for the opportunity to play and earn valuable points and dollars.

After two weeks, they can do pretty much anything they like.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
There are only a couple of new cases, stemming from a Defence Force worker who infected a colleague and, somehow, a university student working in a central city shop. It's still unknown how the latter happened, as no direct physical link to, or contact with, each other has been established. Despite that, genomic sequencing of their infections shows no intermediate host, which argues for direct contact of some sort. Best guess appears to be some sort of surface contamination which was picked up, but nobody can establish where that might have occurred. Both people are now in quarantine, and the government doesn't believe any further action is necessary as all their close contacts have returned negative tests to Covid-19.

I think that's just precautionary. The chances of anyone having been in contact with these people, and then travelling to Australia, is miniscule.

Despite what might seem to outsiders as some sort of "lapse," we've had something like FOUR cases in the community from more than 60,000 people through managed isolation, and all have been clamped down immediately. That's a far cry from what happened in Melbourne.

Fingers crossed from this side, too.
Good to hear! I am really hopeful for this travel bubble to one day actually happen - hopefully before the vaccine. NSW is on 8 days of 0 cases now and VIC is on 16, so things are looking good. But NSW has been here before, and VIC is mentally scarred so none of us are allowing ourselves to get ahead of ourselves yet. I would really consider visiting if this became possible, though I know at the moment it still looks a long way off.

Do you think many Kiwis would come to the AO if some arrangement could be made about reduced quarantine when returning to NZ?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Good to hear! I am really hopeful for this travel bubble to one day actually happen - hopefully before the vaccine. NSW is on 8 days of 0 cases now and VIC is on 16, so things are looking good. But NSW has been here before, and VIC is mentally scarred so none of us are allowing ourselves to get ahead of ourselves yet. I would really consider visiting if this became possible, though I know at the moment it still looks a long way off.
The good news is that a full travel bubble with the Cook Islands looks to be only a few weeks away. A team of government officials will spend the coming week there to put all the logistics in place. With luck we can expand that to Australia before Christmas.
Do you think many Kiwis would come to the AO if some arrangement could be made about reduced quarantine when returning to NZ?
Hell, yeah! One of my best friends and her husband have tickets every year for the second week. It's always their best holiday. Some New Zealanders may travel anyway, even if the full quarantine has to be endured when returning, but we now have to book quarantine accommodation vouchers when returning to New Zealand so that our quarantine facilities don't get over-stretched.

That has had a huge impact on people who had already booked flights before this system came into force, because the vast majority haven't been able to get a voucher date which matches their flights, and they now can't get on a flight from anywhere in the world without providing the voucher to the airline. International sports teams have been exempted from this process, but the general public and individual sportsmen such as Michael Venus (tennis) and Israel Adesanya (World Champion UFC fighter) haven't, and it's created a hell of a stink. Unfortunately the government won't budge in the slightest, and it's creating real distress for people who simply don't have the money to spend extra weeks or months away while they wait for dates in managed isolation facilities to become available.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Who said anything about 8 weeks? It will be 2 weeks of quarantine where Uber Eats and other delivery services can give you further variety in food if that's an issue.

I'd think even a spoiled and entitled tennis player could deal with this, let alone the reasonable ones who would just be thankful for the opportunity to play and earn valuable points and dollars.

After two weeks, they can do pretty much anything they like.
Sweet, thanks for the clarification. Especially the highlighted part. Totally forgot about Uber and all the delivery services, and the low numbers of infection in Australia.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hell, yeah! One of my best friends and her husband have tickets every year for the second week. It's always their best holiday. Some New Zealanders may travel anyway, even if the full quarantine has to be endured when returning, but we now have to book quarantine accommodation vouchers when returning to New Zealand so that our quarantine facilities don't get over-stretched.
Is quarantine free in NZ?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The good news is that a full travel bubble with the Cook Islands looks to be only a few weeks away. A team of government officials will spend the coming week there to put all the logistics in place. With luck we can expand that to Australia before Christmas.

That has had a huge impact on people who had already booked flights before this system came into force, because the vast majority haven't been able to get a voucher date which matches their flights, and they now can't get on a flight from anywhere in the world without providing the voucher to the airline. International sports teams have been exempted from this process, but the general public and individual sportsmen such as Michael Venus (tennis) and Israel Adesanya (World Champion UFC fighter) haven't, and it's created a hell of a stink. Unfortunately the government won't budge in the slightest, and it's creating real distress for people who simply don't have the money to spend extra weeks or months away while they wait for dates in managed isolation facilities to become available.

I really hope we get some more organised systems and procedures in place by the start of next year. I know none of us predicted a pandemic, but by now I feel like some governments need to be able to respond more quickly and more decisively and whatnot.

Also, Adelaide has had 3 random cases pop up out of nowhere today. Personally, though I am in favour of open borders within Australia, I am actually in favour of closing Victoria off to any state that has an outbreak. Nobody in Australia has endured what we have, and we had to pay a huge price for them to be able to live 100% normal lives. They didn't even consider opening their borders to us until they were 100% sure we had eliminated it (and still make the reopening wait an extra 3 weeks...) so really, I'm not keen to have another bunch of outbreaks because they all forgot how to socially distance.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I really hope we get some more organised systems and procedures in place by the start of next year. I know none of us predicted a pandemic, but by now I feel like some governments need to be able to respond more quickly and more decisively and whatnot.

Also, Adelaide has had 3 random cases pop up out of nowhere today. Personally, though I am in favour of open borders within Australia, I am actually in favour of closing Victoria off to any state that has an outbreak. Nobody in Australia has endured what we have, and we had to pay a huge price for them to be able to live 100% normal lives. They didn't even consider opening their borders to us until they were 100% sure we had eliminated it (and still make the reopening wait an extra 3 weeks...) so really, I'm not keen to have another bunch of outbreaks because they all forgot how to socially distance.
Yes, I agree totally that Victorians should close their borders if there's another wave in another state. Of course a large portion of you didn't just spend months complaining about other states' closed borders but we'll just ignore that because you've suffered and allow you your double standard. Yes, you sacrificed massively for the benefit of the other states, definitely there has been no benefit for Victorians at all. Such a state of martyrs you are. You should all be sainted.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Yes, I agree totally that Victorians should close their borders if there's another wave in another state. Of course a large portion of you didn't just spend months complaining about other states' closed borders but we'll just ignore that because you've suffered and allow you your double standard. Yes, you sacrificed massively for the benefit of the other states, definitely there has been no benefit for Victorians at all. Such a state of martyrs you are. You should all be sainted.
Dude stop taking everything I say out of context and exaggerating and leave me alone lol. Vent your pointless anti-Melbourne sentiment elsewhere lol.

large portion of you didn't just spend months complaining
Straight up false. Gladys Berejiklian is not from Victoria.

allow you your double standard
Yeah you're totally right. Being Victorian gives us a genetic trait that makes us have a double standard. I don't even know what this supposed double standard is meant to be for but yeah sure lol

definitely there has been no benefit for Victorians at all
Looooooooooooooool way to completely misrepresent what I said. I am actually impressed

Such a state of martyrs you are. You should all be sainted.
Ooft thanks yay we humbly accept this honour

We don't care if other states close their borders to us. That's your premier :) We're fine here thanks!

Victorians sacrificed for ourselves, and for the rest of the country. The rest of the country gave us no alternative but to get to zero cases. Otherwise, the entire country would've been screwed; the Victorian economy is way too important to be locked out for years. The entire country could've implemented some restrictions like social distancing, mask usage etc to maintain a lower number of cases, but instead, we in Melbourne had to endure months of the hardest and longest lockdown in the world. I am happy that we did so. Meanwhile, other states got to live as though it was 2019. Why should we be any different when they have outbreaks? I refuse to accept that it is a "double standard" that I had to endure all of that so that Adelaide and Brisbane people could go clubbing, only to have the risk of it coming back in from them. I am interested to know what your definition of "large portion" is, because literally not a single person I know cared about any of the border closures. Again, Gladys Berejiklian is your premier, not mine.

Anti-Melbourne sentiment is highly impolite, but whatever. I can only control my own behaviour, and I choose not to be rude to people based on their place of residence.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Wow, this is some Tim Smith level of coherence 😂

The basis of the argument for closing Victoria in the event of outbreaks in other states is purely because of our self interests and how much we as a state have been through this year. Closing borders in their own self interest was exactly what other states did when there was an outbreak here, as they are entitled to do because they have to look out for their own citizens first and foremost. Now that Victoria has had 16 straight days of 0 cases we should do exactly the same thing if/when there is a significant outbreak in another state. It's pretty simple logic. Don't like the idea of that? Oh well, too fucking bad. 😘

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Dude stop taking everything I say out of context and exaggerating and leave me alone lol. Vent your pointless anti-Melbourne sentiment elsewhere lol.

We don't care if other states close their borders to us. That's your premier lol. We're fine here thanks!
You sure criticise Queensland's border closure on reddit a lot for someone who doesn't care about the closed border.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Could we all chill with the state-based bashing? It's getting tedious.
And there's no contest anyway since Victoria's the best :p🤭

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Is quarantine free in NZ?
It was to start with, and still is for returning citizens or residents who are coming back permanently. Those people coming back for less than three months (e.g. tennis players), or who are returning after leaving since 11th August (the day the regulations came into effect, and including anyone travelling to Australia in the quarantine-free system) now have to pay. The charge is $3,100 for the first person in a room, regardless of age, plus another $950 for a second adult. Extra children aged 3-17 are $475.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
You sure criticise Queensland's border closure on reddit a lot for someone who doesn't care about the closed border.
"A lot"? Meaning a few times in 6 months? I am allowed to make jokes about the Queensland border closure and I still will. I am allowed to criticise the lack of medical evidence supporting the harshness of the border closure and I still will. I have been to Queensland 3x in my life. The border closure does not impact me.

That is still no excuse to be rude to me - again - and to the entire state of Victoria - again (calling the state "idiotic" just a few days ago for no reason). I have never been rude or disrespectful towards you and I don't appreciate this (nor following me on other websites and bringing that up on TF).

·
Registered
5,210 Posts

Anyone from SA arriving in WA will now be required to do 14 day quarantine and testing.

So all other states are allowed to do this, but VIC isn't...despite VIC suffering 1000000000% more.

Hmmmm. Legit?

Seriously, time for us to close our borders until these outbreaks are controlled. VIC cannot handle a third wave. We at least deserve the same level of protection that every other state has had.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Wow, this is some Tim Smith level of coherence 😂

The basis of the argument for closing Victoria in the event of outbreaks in other states is purely because of our self interests and how much we as a state have been through this year. Closing borders in their own self interest was exactly what other states did when there was an outbreak here, as they are entitled to do because they have to look out for their own citizens first and foremost. Now that Victoria has had 16 straight days of 0 cases we should do exactly the same thing if/when there is a significant outbreak in another state. It's pretty simple logic. Don't like the idea of that? Oh well, fucking too bad. 😘
I love the logic and agree with it 100%. I disagree with the hypocrisy of people who will complain about closed borders but then when their state is corona free and say maybe we'll need to close our border. And the longer your lockdown went on the more hostility against the border closures came out of Victorians because many complained that they were being forced into an elimination strategy by those other horrible states with closed borders.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Anyone from SA arriving in WA will now be required to do 14 day quarantine and testing.

So all other states are allowed to do this, but VIC isn't...despite VIC suffering 1000000000% more.

Hmmmm. Legit?

Seriously, time for us to close our borders until these outbreaks are controlled. VIC cannot handle a third wave. We at least deserve the same level of protection that every other state has had.
I never said you shouldn't be allowed to. Just don't complain when other states do it.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I never said you shouldn't be allowed to. Just don't complain when other states do it.
As if people in NSW aren't complaining about the QLD border 100000x more than people in VIC? Do you really think the number one issue in Victoria in our second wave has been the Queensland border closure? We aren't even directly affected by it like NSW residents are. Every state is closed to us because we were "too dangerous". A few weeks ago Gladys was talking about having NSW open to other countries before VIC, and then changed her mind only when she found out that VIC may have actually eliminated the virus. And the border was only scheduled to open 2.5 weeks after that. SA and TAS are still talking about another 2 weeks, despite SA now having more cases than VIC. That is the standard we are held to, but us expecting the same (actually less) is some scandal?

I really don't understand the level of aggression to us wanting to secure what we've been through hell for, while other states have basically done nothing since May. We still have mandatory masks in Melbourne even.

I will continue to mock the nonsensical decisions of some of the border closures without this making me deserving of some unfounded state-based hatred. I don't know what your issue with Victoria is but nobody benefits from this talk.

541 - 560 of 571 Posts