Tennis Forum banner

521 - 540 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Sorry I don’t mean idiotic states I mean idiotic premiers, still closing internal borders to nsw and Victoria with virtually no virus is idiotic in my opinion,

I would love for somone to ask Palaszczuk in an interview “ so do you have any comments on Tasmania and South Australia’s second wave due to letting dirty NSW in?

That’s right.. there wasn’t one idiot premier.
It's getting harder to justify Queensland's approach, and their Chief Health Officer is making some very controversial decisions. She had no issue letting in hundreds (or thousands?) of AFL players and staff and explicitly admitted that doing so was important because it brought in money for QLD. Really not a good look when so many families are separated and people are having immense difficulty accessing medical treatment in their normal facilities. This was made even worse by Palaszczuk's "in Queensland, we have Queensland hospitals for our people" comment, as well as whichever other official it was (I don't remember who) who said something along the lines of "we're sick of people talking about their heartbreaking stories because of our border stance."

Just the other day (yesterday maybe even?) their CHO commented on Victoria's situation and said something about Victoria maybe getting close to elimination and that that was very exciting, and that she hoped to have an update on the border situation in early December. I personally am doubtful that Queensland actually intends to have open borders with Victoria, especially given NSW and Victoria will be rejoining in a week and a half.

That being said, Gladys herself was claiming a couple of weeks ago that she wanted to have NSW open to other countries before Victoria because the economic cost of being open to VIC too early was problematic. This in itself is really bad and possibly in breach of the constitution, as border closures cannot be justified with economic reasons. It seems like she's only changed her tune because it looks like VIC might have literally eliminated the virus (still too early to say, but anyway).

Idk, I hate this so much and I don't even have any need for any of these borders to be open personally.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Key points from the article:

"Tennis Australia has set a preferred November 13 deadline to make a decision on the structure of its summer and is relying on various state governments to provide exemptions that will allow players to leave their hotels during the 14-day lockdown period to practice at courts as part of a roaming bubble."

."
Hopefully we will hear something in the next 24 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
All states will be open before Xmas other than WA our PM said today
No real reason given ...
I reckon tennis will be everywhere but Perth on that basis .... tennis Aust need to make plans and can’t risk WA not changing their minds

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
All states will be open before Xmas other than WA our PM said today
No real reason given ...
I reckon tennis will be everywhere but Perth on that basis .... tennis Aust need to make plans and can’t risk WA not changing their minds
They've been saying this for months. No news today. "Before Christmas" is another 6 weeks away; and Queensland will damn sure make it last that long by the looks of it. SA is only opening its border to VIC on December 1st. Meh.

I wonder if Ash has been able to see her coach yet. Doesn't seem like it.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Yes. He has been in Queensland for a bit.
@ishgever Barty reunited with her coach about 2 weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting!

I wonder how he got in. Queensland has been no less restrictive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wonder how he got in. Queensland has been no less restrictive.
He quarantined in Northern Territory. I don't really know the details of what is going on in Australia, but presumably Queensland is letting people from the Northern Territory directly in.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
He quarantined in Northern Territory. I don't really know the details of what is going on in Australia, but presumably Queensland is letting people from the Northern Territory directly in.
Yeah they are.

So ridiculous of QLD that they had to do this but whatever.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
@AwonderfulKiwi how are things in NZ? I've been vaguely following but I couldn't really ascertain exactly what's happening with the location/source of the new cases and the government response. I saw today that the NSW government is contacting people who've come from NZ to notify them that they may have been in contact with cases in NZ. I wonder if that will happen in Melbourne too - today our deputy Chief Health Officer said they're ready for the remote possibility of cases coming in to Melbourne from NZ and NSW.

I really hope NZ's hotel quarantine program tightens up now after this. It's almost certain nothing will come of this latest scenario but after what happened in Melbs I don't think we can ever be too careful.

Also, I'm glad travel between NZ and AUS has been eased and I wonder if the NZ government will make any announcements about the reverse direction in time for the AO.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I wonder how many players will skip Australia if the special quarantine that allows training isn't approved and they're forced to stay in hotel quarantine for 2 weeks?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Considering we were meant to hear more details yesterday and TA have not made any announcements makes me very worried now.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I'm not "very worried", but I'm annoyed at how many barriers there are to making clear decisions in Australia about borders and quarantine due to how divergent the views of different governments are.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
It looks like players who come to Australia are going to have to be here for 7 to 8 weeks including Quarantine then.
Many players down the rankings will unlikely think it is worth coming, particularly if they can't qualify for the main draw.

Also, interesting to see which entry they arrive in Australia for quarantining purposes. Which state has the best Quarantine hotels, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne.
If an overseas player has family or relatives living here, would they be allowed to Quarantine with them for the two weeks, might make it easier for the poorer players in saving Quarantine hotel costs, unless Tennis Australia is paying every players 14 day Quarantine.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
If an overseas player has family or relatives living here, would they be allowed to Quarantine with them for the two weeks, might make it easier for the poorer players in saving Quarantine hotel costs, unless Tennis Australia is paying every players 14 day Quarantine.
Are you serious? "Quarantine" supposedly means total isolation, not mixing someone who may be contagious with a family who aren't. Plenty of cases in managed isolation in New Zealand haven't tested positive until 10 or 12 days into their quarantine, and I would guess that the Australian experience is similar. It would be just too risky to follow your suggestion.

I suggested months ago that Tennis Australia pay for the quarantine and, in the worst case scenario, deduct it from prize money, because even those who lose in the first round of singles qualifying will win far more than the $3,000 or so which it would cost to quarantine. I'm not sure that they could treat doubles-only players the same way, though, given that their prize money is only a fraction of that being paid for singles.

521 - 540 of 571 Posts