Tennis Forum banner

381 - 400 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
It's one thing for people who don't live in Australia and know absolutely nothing about the situation here (and can't even locate Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane on a map) to speculate about the event going forward. That's fine - we can all speculate and wonder.
Of course you're right (apart the map.. ;)), but can you help us from the upper part of the world to better understand the situation down-under?
For example what is the relative importance, in Australia, of the Golf Open vs the Tennis Open, both in real terms (money, spectators, overall businesses) and popular interest?

The relative importance of sports is quite different from country to country, think about football (soccer) or hockey or rugby or even cricket, so it is interesting to know the relative importance of golf and tennis in Australia.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
And ATP could have herd immunity by then (10 of the Top100 so far) ;)
Btw. are ATP players with confirmed covid immunity tested again before upcoming tournaments? Apparently there is a tiny risk of reinfection, albeit some of it might be bogus.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You are posting every 5 minutes "NO AO! IT IS GOING TO BE CANCELLED!" as if you know this for a fact or something...?

The Australian government, Victorian government and Australian Open tournament director are all saying that it is going ahead, they see it as extremely important and they have never considered cancelling it.

Nobody can say anything with 100% certainty, so they may end up being wrong and you may end up being right.

But why do you insist on posting something with such authority when you have zero factual basis to make that claim? I mean, if at least ONE person involved in the decision making process was saying "it might not happen", then you might have a point. But literally nobody is saying that; in fact, EVERYBODY involved in the decision is saying that it IS going to happen.

I have been locked in my house since March so I definitely don't have a normal life.
You have stadiums full of people so life is way more normal then in the rest of the world
But Ok lets hold the AO , it would be 1 big party

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Yayyyy, thread title changed :-D

Of course you're right (apart the map.. ;)), but can you help us from the upper part of the world to better understand the situation down-under?
For example what is the relative importance, in Australia, of the Golf Open vs the Tennis Open, both in real terms (money, spectators, overall businesses) and popular interest?
Sure!

Well, I'm probably quite biased as a tennis fan. But the tennis is a massive event in Melbourne and all of Australia. Melbourne is the sport capital of the country and people here look at it as a highlight of summer. They set up multiple spots across the city centre where people can watch it outdoors in the sun with drinks and food and people often flock to those places after work, including non-tennis fans. It's all over the TV and other media as well. The entire summer just feels like tennis. There are events everywhere.

This year there were 812,000 attendees. That's more than 10% of the state's population. This might sound weird, but plenty of people go there for reasons other than to watch tennis. Tickets are pretty cheap and there's a lot to see and do there.

I can't speak specifically to money, but Melbourne's economy was reinvented in the 90s (I think) around being the "events and culture capital" of Australia. The Australian Open was always here but building the current Melbourne Park precinct in such a state of the art way and constantly redeveloping it has been huge for the city. We also hold the comedy festival, F1 Grand Prix, many other festivals and events and have a really big live music scene. Why am I mentioning all this irrelevant stuff? Well, because all of these things really contribute to each other - each one individually becomes more of a thing because of the others. The interest and buzz around each of these things generates buzz and interest for people to go out and look for more things. The Australian Open is an essential part of that culture that needs a massive boost after the 2020 we've had.

Melbourne has been (and still is) under the world's longest and strictest lockdown and is now looking to rebuild itself. We are now at 1 case per day and still everything is closed, masks are mandatory everywhere, all states have closed borders to us and we can't travel more than 5km from our houses along with gatherings of only 5 people from a maximum of 2 households allowed...outdoors...within 5km of each house. We have suffered incredible losses as a city that the rest of Australia can't comprehend. People need this event just for something to look forward to as well as the economic importance.

As for golf...as far as I can tell, the Australian Open golf hasn't been able to consistently attract the best golfers in the world. There also seems to have been a lot of competition inside Australia between different cities to hold the event. I'm not saying that people don't care about the AO golf as it is a big event, but it completely lacks the vibe and overall presence of tennis in the city. I think it's less integral to the city than tennis is. Melbournians are proud of the Australian Open (tennis) and I don't think the golf has that presence.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
1 new case overnight in Melbourne, and 0 deaths for the third day running. But yes, cAnCeL tHe Ao... 😂🙄
Australian government: the event is going ahead and we never seriously considered cancelling it
Victorian government: the event is going ahead and we never seriously considered cancelling it
Tournament Director: the event is going ahead with 30,000 spectators per day

TF pot-stirring accounts who literally have zero idea about the situation in Australia: IT'S GOING TO BE CANCELLED FOR SUREEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. once again none of us have a crystal ball and there's absolutely no guarantee of anything happening, including this event, but making random statements that go against absolutely everything that all decision-makers have said with no basis to do so is ridiculous

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It's clear that the Australian Open will most likely go ahead. Why is this thread title still saying that it may be canceled?
It was always click bait and cancellation was only one of multiple possibilities and it still is a possibility (altho I think unlikely) if the federal government ends up refusing to relax quarantine requirements.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts

The relative importance of sports is quite different from country to country, think about football (soccer) or hockey or rugby or even cricket, so it is interesting to know the relative importance of golf and tennis in Australia.

Thanks.
AO(golf) is not a Major ( in tennis we say Grand Slam) tournament so they were also afraid a lot of players will not come because of the quarantine requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Btw. are ATP players with confirmed covid immunity tested again before upcoming tournaments? Apparently there is a tiny risk of reinfection, albeit some of it might be bogus.
At the USO they didn’t. At the FO they did but then change course mid tournament...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
As per the Victorian premiere's press conference today regarding easing of restrictions, two things stood out which may affect the AO:
  • Tennis is officially allowed as of 11:59pm 18/10
  • Outdoor seated entertainment can host 50 people, or 25% of the venue’s maximum seated capacity as of 11:59pm 01/11 (which may be brought forward to next weekend if case numbers stay low this coming week)
If 25% is already going to be allowed, I really don't see the AO not being able to have 50% fans by the time January rolls around

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
There are many documented cases of those who tested positive with covid/19 only to have no antibodies shown after.

I should imagine previous infections does not stop future testing - regardless of antibodies results indicating immunity.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Maybe they should have AO21 as ATP only event. WTA parts of USO and RG were, to put it mildly, underwhelming comparing to quite awesome ATP events.
After Djokovic got defaulted, ATP matches were left with a bunch of headcases afraid of winning. WTA was way better.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If it goes ahead they should defo spread the prize money and maybe double qualifying money because for those players its a big investment to go into bubble and get not much for losing 1r qualies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it can be played, it should be kept. USO and RG have shown it's feasible. It'll be summer in Australia, I'd doubt the situation would be worse than NY or France when the slams were played.

And I'd assume a very large majority of players would prefer to play rather than sit out. Except maybe the title incumbents if AO 2020 points would be kept in case of worse 2021 results... and that may appeal only to Kenin (on the ATP side, Djokovic needs to win his pet slam badly). And I'd think Kenin would still go as a good result can confirm her standings and build confidence...

381 - 400 of 413 Posts