Tennis Forum banner

361 - 380 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
It's one thing for people who don't live in Australia and know absolutely nothing about the situation here (and can't even locate Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane on a map) to speculate about the event going forward. That's fine - we can all speculate and wonder.

Of course, none of us have a crystal ball and none of us can predict the future with 100% certainty. We cannot say with a full guarantee that anything will happen, including the Australian Open 2021.

But some of you are completely ignoring all evidence from the tournament director, Victorian government AND Australian government - all of which indicates that they are 100% committed to holding the event and have never considered cancelling it. They consider it an important and vital step to rebuilding the country.

Recent comments even talk about 30,000 fans per day - this is of course very optimistic and I wouldn't be surprised if this number is reduced.

But some of you are really just trying to create drama with all this "it's going to be cancelled!11111" with zero factual basis to back it up and literally ALL credibly evidence stating the opposite.

It's clear some of these accounts are trolling, but seriously - do a bit better.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
...what happens if you get a false positive and end up not being able to participate in the AO qualifier?
Won't happen. If you listen to Craig Tiley's interview with Martin Devlin, he makes the point that players will be arriving fresh after a break and not rushing from place to place. The testing and quarantine regime is such that, if anyone does test positive, there's plenty of time to be retested and go through mandatory isolation if necessary - and STILL be cleared before they need to play the Australian Open. They might miss a lead-up tournament, of course, but that would be a small price to pay if they can still participate in the main event.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
This is one reason why Tour events in China might not go ahead next year. Imagine if a player does contract the virus in Wuhan or Beijing.
I don't know about Beijing at the moment, but it wouldn't happen in Wuhan. There hasn't been any Covid-19 there for months.
That’s a scary prospect. Not worth the risk.
Why is it any scarier than contracting it in New York (Benoit Paire), St Petersburg (from where Sam Querrey cut and ran because he was scared he might end up in a Russian hospital) or Santa Margherita di Pula (Fabio Fognini)? Wuhan is a bigger city than any of those, with by far the most medical experience of Covid-19 because they were at the original epicentre of the disease.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would rather be in a hospital like that, than stuck in an American one hoping that my family didn't have to donate bodily organs on the black market to pay for my treatment. Also, for most people, the thought of baing in hospital ANYWHERE other than your home country is probably enough to cause at least a minor panic attack.
Maybe for a normal working person the financial cost of the US hospital is a deterring factor, but outside of financial damage I'm not worried as much about the treatment I'll get from a US hospital having some shady black magic where I don't really have the trust that a hospital in China won't do something like that especially to a foreign national. Of course I'd take my home country hospital over both, but if I'm a rich top professional athlete who has the luxury of being able to afford any treatment and my choices were USA or China, I'm taking USA every day.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I don't know about Beijing at the moment, but it wouldn't happen in Wuhan. There hasn't been any Covid-19 there for months.

Why is it any scarier than contracting it in New York (Benoit Paire), St Petersburg (from where Sam Querrey cut and ran because he was scared he might end up in a Russian hospital) or Santa Margherita di Pula (Fabio Fognini)? Wuhan is a bigger city than any of those, with by far the most medical experience of Covid-19 because they were at the original epicentre of the disease.
I wouldn’t want to catch Covid in any authoritarian state. It’s not about the virus itself (which is not a worry).

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
...Of course I'd take my home country hospital over both, but if I'm a rich top professional athlete who has the luxury of being able to afford any treatment and my choices were USA or China, I'm taking USA every day.
Except that, if you test positive for Covid, you're not going to be allowed to leave whatever country you're already in - unless you manage to copy Querrey and somehow get past every checkpoint going. I still can't believe that whatever driver they used, and Customs and Immigration, and the flight crew, were prepared to assist them break tournament protocols so brazenly - let alone whatever laws Russia has regarding travel when Covid-19 positive. I presume it's all a case of money talks, in which case there could be so many criminal charges possible.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm getting tired of this fucking virus affecting everything, I just want the world to get back to normal.
I'm tired and bored of constantly hearing and reading articles about Covid-19 throughout the year.

·
Registered
47,962 Posts
The Australian Open, tennis, has been confirmed once again today. Craig Tiley says there has never been a moment where the event was planned to be cancelled in the minds of the Australian or Victorian governments, who see this as an incredibly important step to rebuilding the country and coming out of lockdown.

What if 50% of the field tests positive? As things are going here in Europe, it looks like every damn person will be infected in 1 month.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What if 50% of the field tests positive? As things are going here in Europe, it looks like every damn person will be infected in 1 month.
I think most of the players will quarantine at the their homes before leaving for Australia and will probably test a couple of days before they leave to see their result. Retest again when arriving in Australia and stay in 14 day quarantine with regular testing in place throughout events.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm getting tired of this fucking virus affecting everything, I just want the world to get back to normal.
I'm tired and bored of constantly hearing and reading articles about Covid-19 throughout the year.
Yeah off course everybody is tired , its sucks but it is what it is
We cant change it so we most wait for a vaccin

Only Aussies have a normal covid free life so they most close the borders the whole time so NO AO !

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Yeah off course everybody is tired , its sucks but it is what it is
We cant change it so we most wait for a vaccin

Only Aussies have a normal covid free life so they most close the borders the whole time so NO AO !
How many times are you going to repeat this in spite of literally all evidence to the contrary?

The Australian Open, tennis, has been confirmed once again today. Craig Tiley says there has never been a moment where the event was planned to be cancelled in the minds of the Australian or Victorian governments, who see this as an incredibly important step to rebuilding the country and coming out of lockdown.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Maybe by that time all of them will have had it and have some kind of immunity? We don't know yet.

Anyway from listening to Tiley, this is all being planned for with the quarantine and stuff. I don't think they'll necessarily be sent home if they test positive.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It's clear that the Australian Open will most likely go ahead. Why is this thread title still saying that it may be canceled?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
How many times are you going to repeat this in spite of literally all evidence to the contrary?

Thank you. The same trolls that kept insisting that the US Open and French Open were going to be canceled are now saying that the Australian Open will be canceled. As tennis fans, I am not quite sure what kind of sadistic pleasure pushes them to keep posting such nonsense time and time again.

·
Registered
707 Posts

It irresponsible to held the AO , do you really want Covid back in youre country again?

We have Corona everywhere and that is not nice .

Be glad you haven't this BS and can live a normal life.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
It irresponsible to held the AO , do you really want Covid back in youre country again?

We have Corona everywhere and that is not nice .
You are posting every 5 minutes "NO AO! IT IS GOING TO BE CANCELLED!" as if you know this for a fact or something...?

The Australian government, Victorian government and Australian Open tournament director are all saying that it is going ahead, they see it as extremely important and they have never considered cancelling it.

Nobody can say anything with 100% certainty, so they may end up being wrong and you may end up being right.

But why do you insist on posting something with such authority when you have zero factual basis to make that claim? I mean, if at least ONE person involved in the decision making process was saying "it might not happen", then you might have a point. But literally nobody is saying that; in fact, EVERYBODY involved in the decision is saying that it IS going to happen.

Be glad you haven't this BS and can live a normal life.
I have been locked in my house since March so I definitely don't have a normal life.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
It's clear that the Australian Open will most likely go ahead. Why is this thread title still saying that it may be canceled?
Agreed - can the thread title be changed? That might stop the pot-stirring posts.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If Sleepy Joe finds enough ballots to win the election there won't be a big difference between China and the US anyway anymore by the time these events will be played.
Meaning the US will have 50 new cases a day instead of 60,000 ? And why are you aping Trump on the "nickname"? Can't you think of a better one ?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Maybe they should have AO21 as ATP only event. WTA parts of USO and RG were, to put it mildly, underwhelming comparing to quite awesome ATP events.

361 - 380 of 416 Posts