Tennis Forum banner

341 - 360 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Latest news

From the article:

Australian Open boss Craig Tiley has categorically ruled out staging the 2021 Melbourne grand slam if players are forced into two weeks of hard quarantine. But Tiley remains “absolutely” confident the Open will go ahead as planned from 18 to 31 January, along with the usual lead-up events.

He is banking on Australia’s state and federal governments relaxing border restrictions and granting special approval for a training bubble to be established for the world’s tennis elite.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don’t understand why the authorities take such a risk. Only for a tennis tournament 😏 Australia is nearly Covid free and then you let 250 players and coaches from over the whole world inside your country. Even when they all get in quarantine at the airport hotel, it’s a big risk. 1 of them can bring Covid in the country. Australia most let the borders closed. The AO is not worth to take this big risk

·
Registered
16,251 Posts
« We need to kind of know in the next two weeks, maybe a month, that this is what can happen: borders are going to open and then we can have a multi-city event.

"If we cannot have a multi-city event, we've got to reconsider everything."

If borders aren't re-opened, Tiley didn't rule out the ATP Cup and potentially the Brisbane, Adelaide and Hobart International tournaments being held in Melbourne, just as the Cincinnati Open was staged at Flushing Meadows before the US Open.

So the next 4 weeks are big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
everybody knows that there is a good chance that the AO 2021 could be cancelled given the current situation. And of course the organizers and authorities think of different scenarios in order to be prepared when they need to make a decision at a certain time. would be a shame though if it was cancelled. really looking forward to a "normal" 2021 season...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Not sure why the players can't do a hard quarantine, two weeks in a hotel room with a treadmill and room service in late November early December followed by a few weeks practicing should be doable.

·
Registered
515 Posts
everybody knows that there is a good chance that the AO 2021 could be cancelled given the current situation. And of course the organizers and authorities think of different scenarios in order to be prepared when they need to make a decision at a certain time. would be a shame though if it was cancelled. really looking forward to a "normal" 2021 season...
I would say it’s next to zero it’s cancelled. If they got in RG in basically cold season when virus was already surging in France and the US Open in middle of summer in New York they won’t cancel the AO short of Melbourne in the next 8 weeks turning into what New York City or Milan was in March and April

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't know how the expenses work but if I'm going to take a guess, perhaps money? In the case of a hard quarantine, that is a minimum of one month extra hotel room for you team (even if small). Sure, the top players will be able to afford it easily, but what about the ones that will have to go through qualifiers or heck, what happens if you get a false positive and end up not being able to participate in the AO qualifier?

·
Registered
12,008 Posts
This is one reason why Tour events in China might not go ahead next year. Imagine if a player does contract the virus in Wuhan or Beijing. That’s a scary prospect. Not worth the risk.
The risk is so low, I mean there is no covid in these places for a while.

Reactions: nemala

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would say it’s next to zero it’s cancelled. If they got in RG in basically cold season when virus was already surging in France and the US Open in middle of summer in New York they won’t cancel the AO short of Melbourne in the next 8 weeks turning into what New York City or Milan was in March and April
Yeah, I think after the USO and RG, Tennis Australia won't exactly be willing to say "we aren't capable of making the Grand Slam happen despite having much less cases compared to US and France" by cancelling the tournament before it starts. Same reason I expect Wimbledon to happen next year as well.

Bluntly put I don't expect to see a fully "virus free" world ever again, and even when a vaccine is invented it will still be like the flu...if you get it, you'll get it. If Tennis Australia is expecting to wait until COVID is gone from the world, they won't be able to host the AO ever again. I'm not saying to ignore the virus, but eventually they are going to enter the "accept it being a possible risk" phase and take the US Open or Roland Garros way if they are hoping to have the AO happen any time soon. Also, I can't speak for Australia and I'm sure those who live there will know better, but if I'm guessing isn't tourism a good chunk of income for Australia? Not as extreme as say Hawaii or Guam, but I'm not sure the Australian government is willing to shut out all potential international tourists for the rest of their existence in order to have a 100% COVID free country.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Australia and New Zealand have taken a rather hysterical response to the virus. They have put all their chips on a vaccine being widely available and effective next year. They plan to keep borders shut for the foreseeable future. It’s bonkers. It’s possible there could be no AO as long as their approach remains the same.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I really don't know why this thread and topic in general attracts so much interest and controversy - especially from known pot-stirrers and accounts created 16 hours ago.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most people have no idea how much Australia ( particularly Victorian government) is taking this virus seriously compared to other countries in the world. I think there is a more than 50% chance it gets cancelled even the cases are minimal. Melbourne has been in full lockdown for months despite number of cases never even reached 1000 at its peak.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
The Golf Australian Open 2021, scheduled next February, has just been canceled.

Not a good sign, not at all.

https://www.lpga.com/news/2020/australian-opens-canceled-for-2021
Most people have no idea how much Australia ( particularly Victorian government) is taking this virus seriously compared to other countries in the world. I think there is a more than 50% chance it gets cancelled even the cases are minimal. Melbourne has been in full lockdown for months despite number of cases never even reached 1000 at its peak.

The Australian Open, tennis, has been confirmed once again today. Craig Tiley says there has never been a moment where the event was planned to be cancelled in the minds of the Australian or Victorian governments, who see this as an incredibly important step to rebuilding the country and coming out of lockdown.

341 - 360 of 416 Posts