Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
My guess is the AO will most likely go ahead with smaller crowd numbers and no overseas fans allowed. However this thing seems to have a life of its own and it only takes a handful infections to spread it like wildfire...hoping Australia will be in a better place in 7 months but not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
27,187 Posts
My guess is the AO will most likely go ahead with smaller crowd numbers and no overseas fans allowed. However this thing seems to have a life of its own and it only takes a handful infections to spread it like wildfire...hoping Australia will be in a better place in 7 months but not holding my breath.
I tend to agree...though the most recent spike in numbers in Victoria is a little concerning. Hopefully in 7 months though we will be in a better place.

·
Registered
113,600 Posts
First, all the 2020 events have to go well. If that happens they might play events in Australia. I dont see any reason to cancel now. Its a huge tv show in Australia and if sports are happening all around the world by November, they will figure out how to do it safely, just like the other tournaments are

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
It is still too far away but I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
This will go ahead, with the caveat that you if you attend, you are required to get tested. The players will need to be here in December, quarantine and have private hubs for training.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Here in Melbourne it's really hard to say right now. I don't think the AO can be held in Sydney because they don't have the facilities and we don't know what their situation will be then either. Brisbane would be a safer option, but they also don't have the facilities that we have here.

I have a feeling the corona situation will be much better (or totally under control) by January next year, as things are VERY slowly starting to flatten again here - it's rising, but not as quickly. For sure it will be better here than in any of the other Grand Slam countries.

I just don't know how the government will feel about letting so many people in from corona hotspots.

We'll see.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No one wants Kenin to win another slam 😭😭😭😭😭

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well it's 27 weeks to the start of the Australian Open from this week.( Starts January 18th)

As far as players are concerned to arriving in Australia, even if they arrived a week before Christmas for Quarantining purposes, that would be 22 weeks from now.

We should have a much better idea around mid November as to the situation of the virus, ( hopefully)

Even if the organizers wanted to be 100% secure about the facility and surrounds in Melbourne, they could always play Qualifying in Brisbane or Perth as the courts are the same, if they don't want too many people around before it starts.

And as I live in Perth, that is a biased opinion.

If the Boxing day Test against India at the M.C.G. goes ahead without problems, then the tennis should be fine, if it doesn't, then we may have an issue.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a feeling the corona situation will be much better (or totally under control) by January next year, as things are VERY slowly starting to flatten again here - it's rising, but not as quickly...
I agree with the first part, but Victoria had a new daily record number of confirmed cases yesterday (nearly 500). It is NOT flattening.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Our increased lockdown restrictions in Melbourne have gone on for 2 weeks now, and face masks become mandatory in a bit over 5 hours. Cases should start to settle and drop within the next few days or so (hopefully)...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I agree with the first part, but Victoria had a new daily record number of confirmed cases yesterday (nearly 500).
Oh I know, believe me lol

It is NOT flattening.
Well, when we look at on the axes, "flattening" refers to climbinf at a slower rate, not a complete halt. So if you have days of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and then 200, 300, 500 etc, it is still "flatter" because it's not doubling every day - even though it is still rising.

The numbers are jumping around so much here in VIC right now that inferences are hard to make. But the lockdown measures are working because if nothing had been done we'd be seeing MUCH higher numbers by now.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well, when we look at on the axes, "flattening" refers to climbinf at a slower rate, not a complete halt. So if you have days of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and then 200, 300, 500 etc, it is still "flatter" because it's not doubling every day - even though it is still rising.
That's only true if you're looking at axes on a logarithmic scale. If you're using a linear scale, you're heading into a hyperbola. In any case, the figures are now rising so fast that you could well be looking at a 25-50% increase every day if SOMETHING doesn't happen to arrest the climb.

The numbers are jumping around so much here in VIC right now that inferences are hard to make. But the lockdown measures are working because if nothing had been done we'd be seeing MUCH higher numbers by now.
That I can believe.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
That's only true if you're looking at axes on a logarithmic scale. If you're using a linear scale, you're heading into a hyperbola. In any case, the figures are now rising so fast that you could well be looking at a 25-50% increase every day if SOMETHING doesn't happen to arrest the climb.
Things are just changing rapidly. The areas of concern, the mode of transmission, the people affected...everything. It's changing so fast. But I do think things are on the right track.

The "hotspot" blitz started about 3-4 weeks ago, which is when we realised how much the virus was spreading without detection. When you rely on people to actually go forward and get a test, volunteer to isolate etc, a significant number of people just...won't. When we went doorknocking and convincing people to do it, things became a lot scarier.

Then it became clear that the "hotspots" were a huge issue, so they were locked down.

When that wasn't working, the whole of Melbourne was locked down (2 weeks to the day). At this stage, it was "large family gatherings" that were the main culprit of transmission.

As of now, it's shifted to 80% of transmissions happening in workplaces - and most concerningly, in aged care homes.

In 2 hours, masks become mandatory.

Seeing as it takes 2ish weeks (up to 4, in some cases) for the results of the lockdown to take effect, I think we are on the right track here. People are genuinely taking it seriously, and mandatory masks should help a lot.

Today it was revealed that 9/10 people had not gone to get tested as soon as they developed symptoms, but had instead waited. This is a massive issue. It was also revealed that 53% of people had not isolated after taking the test.

It's clear what's happening here. Between the aged care homes and the lack of will to self isolate, it's obvious that casual work is making people scared to take time off work. A few weeks ago the government announced a cash bonus for people who had to miss work to isolate, but it seems people haven't caught on to it. It was heavily promoted today, and I expect it will continue to be.

Since this huge number today reflects what was happening up to 2 weeks ago in terms of transmission, I'm still quite confident that we WILL recover. I just don't know when. I don't know if we'll go to further restrictions or not; it seems like it wouldn't even help that much since so much transmission is happening in essential businesses like aged care.

In any case, the mood here is extremely dark. While, again, these numbers are super low compared to the rest of the world, with 6/8 states and territories almost covid-free and absolutely TEARING into Victorians (and NSWers to an extent), it's quite isolating and depressing. It feels like the entire country is turning on you for the crime of being worse victims of a global pandemic.

Things are much more optimistic for NSW in terms of numbers of cases, but they've been on very very very low restrictions this whole time and have been breaking the few restrictions they have consistently. I must say that NSW is probably the biggest coronavirus miracle in the whole world; a huge city with large number of imported cases, very light lockdown and almost covid-free now. It's nothing short of miraculous.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps they could just rename it the Australian Not open and restrict it just to Aussie and Kiwi players.

Kyrgios could get his first slam and Barty should win the women's singles.

101 - 120 of 214 Posts