·
Registered
22,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: WilliamsOhanian

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
A bit of a click-bait-y title, he's laying out possible scenarios and one of them (the worst case) is cancellation. He doesn't indicate which is the most likely scenario.

If Australia is properly free of Covid-19 by December, his plan of doing a 14-day quarantine of any players arriving, etc., would be a good one. Unlike most of the world, Australia can really control and monitor arrivals into the country sufficiently to isolate and constantly test people.

I'm curious to see how soon testing ramps up enough for exclusion testing rather than confirmation testing, so that non-symptomatic (or pre-symptomatic) cases are caught early in the infection cycle. If the tests become wide-spread enough, and reliable enough, to catch infection a couple days into it rather than waiting 14 days to see if symptoms show and then testing to confirm, it'll make global travel a lot easier.

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's ESPN:

Since everyone ran with the Essentially Sports article about Indian Wells and the Open, here's what they said:

Take it from articles without an Australian flavor.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hopefully by December or January 2021, our border restrictions will be eased for overseas travellers, i.e. tennis players and their entourage.
Currently, all states and territories have a 14 day Quarantine period when you enter from anywhere.

I think having no international fans attending is a smart move, Quarantining players and officials would make it much easier for any tennis to be played.
Infact, it maybe wise depending on what happens tennis wise for the rest of the year, if the players all arrive in December 2020 for the Australian Summer of Tennis and quarantine then.
As there will be no tourists allowed in most likely, There will be plenty of hotel accommodation available for Tennis players and officials to stay at.

Sport is already gearing up to restart, the N.R.L. is set to start again on May 28th, a hard physical contact sport, with no crowds. Other sports are hoping to start soon as well.

We currently have only 6875 confirmed cases throughout Australia, and only 97 deaths in total, of those 6875 cases 5984 have recovered from coronavirus.
Here in Western Australia, we have had no new cases for 7 days.

If things are going well in december/january 2021, i'm sure the Government will make exceptions for Tennis players.
They have just let the New Zealand Warriors rugby league team in so that the N.R.L. can start, they are currently doing 2 weeks Quarantine in Tamworth, they are allowed to train while in Quarantine, so exceptions can be made.

And it's sport, and that always gets a better deal than most other things.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Though "Tennis Australia later clarified that they hadn't conceded that international visitors would be barred from Australian shores. "

Either way they don't sound very optimistic despite it still being quite a long time away.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
Every tennis event might be cancelled. Its hard to predict September, impossible to predict next January. TA needs open borders to get the players to Australia
But lets see how the summer goes. A lot of sports are trying to reopen. Lets see how they handle distancing and testing

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
In the medium term seems like the only people allowed into Oz will be Kiwi's and the only people allowed into New Zealand will be Aussies.

Good to see a global pandemic Bringing People Closer Together. :p

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
2 weeks quarantine for 3-4 weeks tennis. Shame they can't add a few more tournaments to make the journey worthwhile. A return of the Hopman Cup would be a good start.

·
Registered
84,757 Posts
That's too early to say but if by 4th quarter things still don't go well, it's best to bar international tourists but still go on with AO.

·
Registered
467 Posts
WAY TOO EARLY TO SAY!!!...even though I will admit I strongly believe the government isn't handling the Coronavirus pandemic very well and based on what they are doing, there might still be a lot of sick people...but, it's way too early to say...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I think the biggest problem is the risk of this being the first major tournament so all the players will be rusty. It can be quarantined easily enough by the players arriving in December then saying in a secure location for two weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
International Tourists should be barred from attending any Sport Event in Australia until we have a vaccine. It's too dangerous to do that. Remember, Australia might get a 2nd Wave of the Pandemic cuz by October, November we're going into the Australian Spring!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Every tennis event might be cancelled. Its hard to predict September, impossible to predict next January. TA needs open borders to get the players to Australia
But lets see how the summer goes. A lot of sports are trying to reopen. Lets see how they handle distancing and testing
It's pretty easy to predict, the prediction models have been around 99% accurate when it comes to peaks and infection rates and even deaths.

If a second wave occurs in the west after the lockdowns are eased, then the AO will most likely not be held in 2021.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but a lot of good stuff or bad stuff can happen in the next months to setback 2021.

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hopefully by December or January 2021, our border restrictions will be eased for overseas travellers, i.e. tennis players and their entourage.
Currently, all states and territories have a 14 day Quarantine period when you enter from anywhere.

I think having no international fans attending is a smart move, Quarantining players and officials would make it much easier for any tennis to be played.
Infact, it maybe wise depending on what happens tennis wise for the rest of the year, if the players all arrive in December 2020 for the Australian Summer of Tennis and quarantine then.
As there will be no tourists allowed in most likely, There will be plenty of hotel accommodation available for Tennis players and officials to stay at.

Sport is already gearing up to restart, the N.R.L. is set to start again on May 28th, a hard physical contact sport, with no crowds. Other sports are hoping to start soon as well.

We currently have only 6875 confirmed cases throughout Australia, and only 97 deaths in total, of those 6875 cases 5984 have recovered from coronavirus.
Here in Western Australia, we have had no new cases for 7 days.

If things are going well in december/january 2021, i'm sure the Government will make exceptions for Tennis players.
They have just let the New Zealand Warriors rugby league team in so that the N.R.L. can start, they are currently doing 2 weeks Quarantine in Tamworth, they are allowed to train while in Quarantine, so exceptions can be made.

And it's sport, and that always gets a better deal than most other things.
Australia isn't properly testing though. Most countries do triple tests to determine corona, Australia does 1.

When it comes to flagging deaths they're not even counting suspicious deaths as corona deaths.

Easy to have good numbers like that.

-

Not to mention even if Australia does well, if the West is battling Corona, the Australian government isn't going to open their borders to bring the disease back in.

So hence why every country needs to do well if they want to have the AO go ahead.

Reactions: TennisFed

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
This is truly news I don't want to read or listen to anymore, like an ostrich with the head buried in the sand. It's now up to natural selection as we develop our own immunity, have mild/severe symptoms while waiting for a vaccine or some our natural solution to this virus. We can't close down for long periods of time without killing more people economically than corona is currently doing.

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
International Tourists should be barred from attending any Sport Event in Australia until we have a vaccine. It's too dangerous to do that. Remember, Australia might get a 2nd Wave of the Pandemic cuz by October, November we're going into the Australian Spring!
What if a vaccine never becomes avaliable? They have never been able to develope a successful vaccine for coronaviruses.

I am just so sick of people saying we can't do blah blah until we have a vaccine, as if it's really a certainty that a vaccine will be a)be effective b) be here within a year-18 months. We need to get socety moving again and while a vaccine would be fantastic, we can't sit and wait for a vaccine that might not be even possible, to solve everything. The virus is going to become endemic to the world population anyway, and hopefully become more mild. We just need to accept that.

Also, I am pretty sure "second waves" come in winter months not Spring. In the UK, they predict we will get a second wave around Xmas time, ergo Australia's second wave would be around July/August.... But of course, the number of cases in Australia never got particularly high anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Australia isn't properly testing though. Most countries do triple tests to determine corona, Australia does 1.

When it comes to flagging deaths they're not even counting suspicious deaths as corona deaths.

Easy to have good numbers like that.

-

Not to mention even if Australia does well, if the West is battling Corona, the Australian government isn't going to open their borders to bring the disease back in.

So hence why every country needs to do well if they want to have the AO go ahead.
I one-thousand percent agree with what you said here.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts