Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,10260,562756,00.html

What do people think? I disagree almost entirely. The author is extremely unfair to Anna - yes, she's only played three matches this year, but she has been INJURED. Not exactly her fault. Although I too dislike the way that off-stage bitchiness is getting more attention than tennis, I think that the tour has better quality tennis than it has had since the 70s and Chrissie, Martina, BJK. There's tons of variety and about half a dozen players capable of winning slams and for me that's exciting!

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Those who have watched over the years the 6ft 2in Californian fight a losing battle with her hair"

What? Since when have people talked about Lindsay's hair, or cared? And what relevant purpose did this quote have? This journalist is extremely bad!

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Viva ]

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The vast majority of that article is RUBBISH.

sk, as a brit also doesn't it sadden you that when the daillies do decide to talk about tennis (besides the 2 weeks of Wimbledon) that is not actually about tennis at all?

OK so some PR bunny is pulling a few strings here, probably in anticipation of Venus Envy being printed in the UK, but I find the article extremely annoying.

Again it comes down to the fact that Anna is an easy target, particularly now as she comes back from injury.

Does Anna see herself as a Star, a Tennis Star or a Tennis Player? I'm not sure but I do believe that when she's on the court she wants to win.

Grrrr.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the British media is extremely annoying. The most irritating thing is that this doesn't come from a tabloid - it comes from The Guardian. I respect the Guardian a lot for its comment and news sections and it's just very disappointing to find that it can't treat my favourite sport with a decently serious article.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I must admit I was surprised at it being The Guardian, but let's face it, there is no newspaper in britain that covers tennis really.

The Times is generally quite good for all year round tennis coverage (well not great, but in the whole scheme of things...), but that tends more often than not to be ATP issues.

But yes, Shame on The Guardian.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
I echo the sentiments already expressed. This article is a pile of crap. The writer demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of women's tennis. Dwindling fan base? That would explain the record 4.1 million fans attending WTA events last year, and this year they're ahead of that pace. TV ratings also keep going up. Doesn't anyone do research for an article anymore? Hell, I have 10 times the information in some of my posts, and I don't consider them professional quality.

Most of the early matches are blowouts? What the hell tournament has he been watching? There were more close matches in the first round of the women's event at this year's USO than in the entire men's draw. Granted, the majority of the first week matches involving the top couple of players were a bit one-sided, but there are more than 3 or 4 players in the field. That he would make such a sweeping generalization shows his dislike for women's tennis, as he can't be bothered to pay attention to more than a couple of players.

The fact of the matter is, the off-court glamour stuff only gets the fans in the door. If the women weren't producing great tennis week in and week out, the fans wouldn't stay. That's what bugs these guys. The women have had a good product for a long time, but the tennis community has done a good job of hiding it. Now, with Kournikova, Williams(x2), Hingis, et al, going outside the tennis media to the public at large, they are drawing a lot of attention for the women's game. As a result, the increased demand for news about these players forces writers like this article's author to "waste" their time covering the women, when they want to be covering the "real" players.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Hitting that nail firmly on the head once again, Brian!

N

·
0 Posts
this article might be funny if it had been intentionally written to be satirical in some way, however, even then the allegatoins are taken out of context, or as the author himself criticize when events are taken out of porportion he does this himself. i believe he called the mishap between kournikova and hingis in south america a screaming battle or something when im pretty sure it reached nowhere near this and you know all his other stupid comments.

and anyways, its sad when an article like this is written to be taken seriously. these articles should be nothing more than printed in small font in the back page of an unknown newspaper below a dave berry column.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts