1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serena:
"It was just a tough crowd out there...
"Very tough. Story of my life...
"It's a little difficult. All my life I had to fight. So it's just another fight. It's like this every time going into a tournament."

Let's repeat the last thought: "It's like this every time going into a tournament."

Now let's pause and think ... and think ... soberly. She certainly pointed to today's crowd at RG-03, but with candor she also let us know this has been the case all her life. All her young life.

Why does it have to be so hard to be black? Why, oh why can't the world accept leadership, excellence of any kind, from a black person? ... "Story of my life", said the young girl; little she knows it's the story of millions. Millions sharing the same planet with the rest. Millions aspiring to live and embellish what we call humanity. Millions just willing to assert their stakes in that grand march called history.

TP.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Hendouble, just pause and think. Can you do that? At least try.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
In that case I'll ask you to stop and think, and consider whether you should be posting this kind of thing on a tennis message board. Wrong time, wrong place.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
How do you explain the popularity of people like Denise Lewis, Michael Jorden, Merlene Ottey and Colin Jackson, if people dont like and except these great athletes. They show excellence and are black.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
smally said:
Difference, they're all in a sport dominated by fellow blacks.
and trust me the first blacks that started it all took much criticism and abuse from the crowd. Just read up on people like Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Jackie Robinson and see if the crowds were loving them at the time.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Rocketta said:
and trust me the first blacks that started it all took much criticism and abuse from the crowd. Just read up on people like Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Jackie Robinson and see if the crowds were loving them at the time.
jackie Robinson was different. That was in 1947, a much different time and place.... I'd like to think that tennis and its fans can handle two black girls at the top of the sport, given that this is over 50 years later.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Was Martina Hingis black? Did you forget how tough she had it with the crowd sometimes?

·
35,894 Posts
Deuce said:
Was Martina Hingis black? Did you forget how tough she had it with the crowd sometimes?
I guess you missed the part about "all my life"? This thread is not about one incident this is about many, several incidents that Williams fans have been speaking of but always have to hear about underdog crap? It had nothing to do with underdog anything. If it did why weren't they hostile to Serena when Justine was winning? It was about trying to intimidate and throw Serena off her game. That's it nothing altruistic about it. It also doesn't have anything to do with Martina Hingis considering she was the one acting up first and the crowd responded to her. That can not be said in this case. Serena did nothing wrong or disrespectful.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
Some folks on this board act like racism doesn't exists or isn't public. But rasicm is still out there but in a more covert and conceiled form.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
It must be tough living in a world where everything you do is for good and out of love and everything we do is evil and wrong.

·
35,894 Posts
o0O0o said:
It must be tough living in a world where everything you do is for good and out of love and everything we do is evil and wrong.
it is, what's your point?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
I think Serenas achievements are impressive enough without trying to turn her into a victim. It's tough to reach the top in tennis, whether you're from Compton, Kosice, or Novi Sad.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well are you not pleased that athletes can now be popular in sports like Athletics and Basketball. That someone like Denise Lewis is just as popular in her home country as Paula Radcliffe.

Also if Chanda Rubin had beaten Justine the crowd would have been pulling for her. Maybe not as much, but thats because Justine is from the French speaking part of Belguim.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
Like Tiger Woods is in a sport dominated by blacks :rolleyes:

of course racism is still out there, and it probably always will. But reading all this crap on the board..I realize that some black posters are racists themselves.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Rocketta said:
it is, what's your point?
Wow, thankyou for proving my point. Blacks too often have this attitude and you just admitted thinking everything white people do is evil and wrong and that just blows my mind. I'm hoping you read my statement wrong and incorrectly replied.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Please people. Look at Serena's interview after match against Amélie and then you see the arrogant Serena who is acting tough like she always has done. That's why many people (which I don't belong to!) root against her. Not because she is black. Chanda Rubin for instance is black and always a crowd favourite.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts