Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
She is being used by the machine behind her to promote their message, it's tantamount to child abuse to send this child all over world, burning her out and causing her mental distress for their own gain. Her breakdown speech was painful to watch, she should be in school and leave this kind of thing to adults, not using kids to pull on people's heartstrings.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
She is being used by the machine behind her to promote their message, it's tantamount to child abuse to send this child all over world, burning her out and causing her mental distress for their own gain. Her breakdown speech was painful to watch, she should be in school and leave this kind of thing to adults, not using kids to pull on people's heartstrings.
Across the OCEAN :grin2:

·
Registered
891 Posts
It's a pretty big ocean! Stockholm to New York must be over 6000 odd miles.

·
Registered
37,351 Posts
I guess there`s a common scientific sense that global warming actually is taking place right now. This is a little different when you look at this analyse on Cook's work (which concludes that 97% of all scientist are mainly holding man-made impacts responsable for recent climate change).

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048001

In detail there still remain a lot of open questions. For instance about the correlation between carbone dioxide content/temperature in the atmosphere and its actual effect as an heat-trapping gas.
Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

AMERICAN SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
Statement on Climate Change from 18 Scientific Associations
"Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research demonstrates that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver." (2009)2

AAAS emblem
American Association for the Advancement of Science
"The scientific evidence is clear: global climate change caused by human activities is occurring now, and it is a growing threat to society." (2006)3
ACS emblem

American Chemical Society
"Comprehensive scientific assessments of our current and potential future climates clearly indicate that climate change is real, largely attributable to emissions from human activities, and potentially a very serious problem." (2004)4
AGU emblem

American Geophysical Union
"Human‐induced climate change requires urgent action. Humanity is the major influence on the global climate change observed over the past 50 years. Rapid societal responses can significantly lessen negative outcomes." (Adopted 2003, revised and reaffirmed 2007, 2012, 2013)5
AMA emblem

American Medical Association
"Our AMA ... supports the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s fourth assessment report and concurs with the scientific consensus that the Earth is undergoing adverse global climate change and that anthropogenic contributions are significant." (2013)6
AMS emblem

American Meteorological Society
"It is clear from extensive scientific evidence that the dominant cause of the rapid change in climate of the past half century is human-induced increases in the amount of atmospheric greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide (CO2), chlorofluorocarbons, methane, and nitrous oxide." (2012)7
APS emblem

American Physical Society
"The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth’s physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now." (2007)8
GSA emblem

The Geological Society of America
"The Geological Society of America (GSA) concurs with assessments by the National Academies of Science (2005), the National Research Council (2006), and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2007) that global climate has warmed and that human activities (mainly greenhouse‐gas emissions) account for most of the warming since the middle 1900s." (2006; revised 2010)9

SCIENCE ACADEMIES
International Academies: Joint Statement
"Climate change is real. There will always be uncertainty in understanding a system as complex as the world’s climate. However there is now strong evidence that significant global warming is occurring. The evidence comes from direct measurements of rising surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures and from phenomena such as increases in average global sea levels, retreating glaciers, and changes to many physical and biological systems. It is likely that most of the warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities (IPCC 2001)." (2005, 11 international science academies)10

UNSAS emblem
U.S. National Academy of Sciences
"The scientific understanding of climate change is now sufficiently clear to justify taking steps to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere." (2005)11
U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES

USGCRP emblem
U.S. Global Change Research Program
"The global warming of the past 50 years is due primarily to human-induced increases in heat-trapping gases. Human 'fingerprints' also have been identified in many other aspects of the climate system, including changes in ocean heat content, precipitation, atmospheric moisture, and Arctic sea ice." (2009, 13 U.S. government departments and agencies)12

INTERGOVERNMENTAL BODIES
IPCC emblem
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
“Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia. The atmosphere and ocean have warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished, and sea level has risen.”13
“Human influence on the climate system is clear, and recent anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases are the highest in history. Recent climate changes have had widespread impacts on human and natural systems.”14

OTHER RESOURCES
List of Worldwide Scientific Organizations
The following page lists the nearly 200 worldwide scientific organizations that hold the position that climate change has been caused by human action.
List of Worldwide Scientific Organizations - Office of Planning and Research

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,824 Posts
Did your generation not manage a world war, a cold war, several fascist, communist and capitalist dictatorships that killed millions and millions? Continued to screw up post colonial Africa and Asia, „greed is good“, segregation, opposed LGBT marriage, elected Donald Trump and then killed the earth? Because for all the so called pampering people my age have received, somehow a more tolerant and sustainable generation that is intent on improving the environmental situation rather than further fucking it up.
At least we didn't suicide en masse from being useless and having nothing to do and entertain us anymore.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.
To make the picture whole, it would be helpful to look at those scientists who objected the anthropogenic (i.e. man-made) cause of global warming. Or rather, to check which ones of them got any single dollar in grants/financing from governments and/or government-related entities.

In this world, to make conclusions which contradict the establishment narrative and prevent it from taxing more and controlling other people, means to live a rather miserable life...

P.S. And if you are sincerely interested in the subject from all sides, rather than in following the narrative, it is curious to look at previous scientific attempts to sell fear with climate apocalypse predictions and how they eventually panned out... For instance, there are some curious links in this article:
https://www.theepochtimes.com/dozens-of-failed-climate-predictions-stretch-80-years-back_3096733.html

·
Registered
38,828 Posts
Why the right’s usual smears don’t work on Greta Thunberg

She keeps the focus on science, and they hate it.

By David Roberts
Sep 26, 2019, 9:40am EDT

Frankly, she is skeptical.
KENA BETANCUR/AFP/Getty Images

To her considerable and growing list of accomplishments, 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg can now add another mark of distinction: She has been attacked by the troll-in-chief.

On Monday night, in response to Thunberg’s coruscating, impassioned speech to the UN, President Trump tweeted sarcastically, “he seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!” (Thunberg promptly edited her Twitter bio to read: “A very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future.”)

Trump’s sneering attack came amid a torrent of often misogynist and ableist abuse hurled at Thunberg since the speech, with conservatives attacking her demeanor, her looks, her mental health (she has autism), and above all her autonomy, claiming she is “brainwashed” or a victim of child abuse. Several have compared her speeches to Nazi propaganda.

“She’s ignorant, maniacal and is being mercilessly manipulated by adult climate bedwetters funded by Putin,” ranted C-list climate denier Steve Milloy, somehow fitting all the mutually contradictory stereotypes about powerful women into his pea brain at once.

What’s remarkable about this is not that the right-wing slime machine has gone to work against a new progressive threat. That’s what it was made for. What’s remarkable is how ineffective it’s been, how little it has affected Thunberg and her extraordinary influence.

Continued @ https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/9/26/20882958/greta-thunberg-climate-change-trump-attacks-right-wing

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Also, can you guys believe a radio host in Brazil said on air that she was a lazy, hysterical girl who needed to find a man and have sex? And even when the other host told him to stop and that she was 16yo, he said it didn't matter and that if she didn't like men, she should look for a lesbian and lack of sex was her problem. I mean, how come there are people who say things like that? It's no wonder he is a proud Bolsonaro supporter. Fortunately, the radio lost all of its sponsors and the guy was fired.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I'm baffled at how some people believe that a few what, NGOs and environmentalists, are more powerful than the whole establishment and oil business in order to buy a virtual consensus amongst the most respected scientists in the world. And, for what exactly? Doesn't seem very clear.

And lol at people blaming the US government for influencing the results of the studies. What interests would they have in a hoax like this?

These conspiracy theories have more holes than a Swiss cheese.

·
Registered
28,851 Posts
I'm baffled at how some people believe that a few what, NGOs and environmentalists, are more powerful than the whole establishment and oil business in order to buy a virtual consensus amongst the most respected scientists in the world. And, for what exactly? Doesn't seem very clear.

And lol at people blaming the US government for influencing the results of the studies. What interests would they have in a hoax like this?

Science first, action second. The main debate is about whether the action, based on science, should be political or not, more precisely, to what extent should we act politically. The controversy is about people being labelled "climate change denialists" if they disagree with the proposed extent of political action to combat climate change.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
At least we didn't suicide en masse from being useless and having nothing to do and entertain us anymore.
It seems that there's a village missing its idiot.

Congratulations sir, you are probably the stupidest and most embarrassing poster in this thread. Even with people like TWAT JN posting, that's quite an achievement.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Science first, action second. The main debate is about whether the action, based on science, should be political or not, more precisely, to what extent should we act politically. The controversy is about people being labelled "climate change denialists" if they disagree with the proposed extent of political action to combat climate change.
I understand it can be very "edgy" and "cool" to go against the left. Damn, even the left loves to shit on the left. Those SJWs are really annoying, I know very well how it is. I Have a friend who's a bit like you. And yeah, it's nice to disagree with those folks and expose their hypocrisy

But a friendly advice, I think you are trying to hard. It's sometimes too over the top and a little bit too much really and it can come across as too childish. You may need to mature a little bit more, but I think eventually you'll understand it.

Peace.

·
Registered
28,851 Posts
I understand it can be very "edgy" and "cool" to go against the left. Damn, even the left loves to shit on the left. Those SJWs are really annoying, I know very well how it is. I Have a friend who's a bit like you. And yeah, it's nice to disagree with those folks and expose their hypocrisy

But a friendly advice, I think you are trying to hard. It's sometimes too over the top and a little bit too much really and it can come across as too childish. You may need to mature a little bit more, but I think eventually you'll understand it.

Peace.
I'm not sure how my post warranted such a confrontational and personal response. You haven't responded to anything I've written. In any case, if you think I believe what I believe because it's "edgy", you're mistaken. I am genuinely worried about the situation when you have people demanding the authorities "do something urgently". I've noticed the governments love these protests - who wouldn't love to have people begging you to take more of their money. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I'm not sure how my post warranted such a confrontational and personal response. You haven't responded to anything I've written. In any case, if you think I believe what I believe because it's "edgy", you're mistaken. I am genuinely worried about the situation when you have people demanding the governments "do something urgently". I've noticed the governments love these protests - who wouldn't love to have people begging you to take more of their money. :shrug:
Sorry, I'm just too honest and to the point, it's just how it is.

It's not just about that bunch of nonsense from your last post. But that's okay, I think most of this forum know I'm right and deep down you probably know it also.

·
Registered
28,851 Posts
Sorry, I'm just too honest and to the point, it's just how it is.

It's not just about that bunch of nonsense from your last post. But that's okay, I think most of this forum know I'm right and deep down you probably know it also.
I really don't care. :shrug:

·
Registered
22,750 Posts

yon kidding, right? :spit:

81 - 100 of 236 Posts