Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
You’re just ridiculous now. No one is doing this for prestige or publicity, Greta has written about how a lot of this was her idea and had no support from her parents. She’s also said she writes her speeches with help from scientists for accuracy. Honestly of all the phoney people in the world, a 16 year old girl writing words like that, is not over-the top. Do some research before accusing people of being puppets of their parents, when there is absolutely no gain and no evidence of that in the first place.
Her parents can still goad her into doing it, you cannot entirely exclude this possibility. And hopefully you do realise her yacht trip is a fraud.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
She's 16. When I was 16 trust me my speeches and presentations were also over the top in zealousness.
I think that`s not the main point, in this generational conflict which the whole thing is about to me in its core. An equally kind of historical and also unsolved one at the same time.

What you imo can mainly watch with these young people is a legit desire to create the future society they will live in.
I`d absolutely share and support such a thought. The task of the elder generations was to assist them the best they can.

What irritates me a bit on the young people`s side is why their critic is not a lot more fundamental and diverse.
On the other hand people should ask themselves for instance why this movement is given such a massive public stage right now, or why mainly scientific works with certain probably desired results are governmently-sponsored these days.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Also she does not address some of the main culprits and the elephant in the room that are India & China, conveniently targetting EU that is actually very ecological unlike China or India that do not recycle anything and USA.
That is all convinient to blame China and India. They are largest burners of fuel for sure. But both are low polluters if counted per capita. The people who each produce most CO2 into this world are Saudis, Australians and North Americans (US & Canada).

All of France, Brazil, Argentina and Turkey are among the lowest regarding per capita generation of CO2. Germany is somewhere middle of the pack.
Let Greta learn some calculus at school instead of sailing the oceans and throwing tantrums at UN

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
That is all convinient to blame China and India. They are largest burners of fuel for sure. But both are low polluters if counted per capita.
Indeed.

China as well as other asian countries are producing goods to a large extent for western markets. So it's too easy to blame them for emitting CO2 in industries that the rest of the world buys from. The west has exported part of it's pollution and still pollutes to much

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That is all convinient to blame China and India. They are largest burners of fuel for sure. But both are low polluters if counted per capita
Well, why doesn't lil' Greta talk about overpopulation then?
I don't think that Earth gives a shit if you're polluting less per capita.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Because overpollution is the issue.

When there is traffic jam every day because all the people want to commute in a Hummer that needs two lanes, what is the solution? Reduce the number of commuters or make them drive normal size cars?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You didn't answer my question. Why doesn't she talk about overpopulation?
The West bears historical responsibility for man-made climate change and is the wealthiest part of the world, thus they need to address these problems first. Would it be morally correct to impose strict regulations for emerging countries that want to have stable economies as well, while your own countries polluted the most and gained the most through that? The Western countries need to get their act together before they can start dictating things in the rest of the world.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You’re just ridiculous now. No one is doing this for prestige or publicity, Greta has written about how a lot of this was her idea and had no support from her parents. She’s also said she writes her speeches with help from scientists for accuracy. Honestly of all the phoney people in the world, a 16 year old girl writing words like that, is not over-the top. Do some research before accusing people of being puppets of their parents, when there is absolutely no gain and no evidence of that in the first place.
Let's see what's she's up to in 10 years time:wink2:

·
Registered
38,805 Posts
Activists Shut Down D.C. Streets as Climate Activism Heats Up

BARBARA KOEPPEL, TRUTHOUT

Building on Friday's youth-led climate strike, which saw 4 million people protesting worldwide, Monday's action was intended to disrupt "business as usual" in the nation's capital to highlight the climate crisis. It's just the beginning of a wave of climate action that befits the emergency.
Read the Article →

Keep it going, Greta! :yeah:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Because overpollution is the issue.

When there is traffic jam every day because all the people want to commute in a Hummer that needs two lanes, what is the solution? Reduce the number of commuters or make them drive normal size cars?
Still no answer.
The West bears historical responsibility for man-made climate change and is the wealthiest part of the world, thus they need to address these problems first. Would it be morally correct to impose strict regulations for emerging countries that want to have stable economies as well, while your own countries polluted the most and gained the most through that? The Western countries need to get their act together before they can start dictating things in the rest of the world.

Now, that's more on point. She doesn't talk about overpopulation beacuse that's not on the agenda of the anti-west globalist propaganda.
JaySix nailed it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You didn't answer my question. Why doesn't she talk about overpopulation?
Because the narrative of these days is climate change, not overpopulation.

If and when TPTB need to start beating drums about overpopulation, this or some other Greta wiil be there to shed a tear at UN stage, don't worry
As was the case with any other story du jour. Remember the girl sobbing to save Iraqi incubator babies?

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
That is all convinient to blame China and India. They are largest burners of fuel for sure. But both are low polluters if counted per capita. The people who each produce most CO2 into this world are Saudis, Australians and North Americans (US & Canada).

All of France, Brazil, Argentina and Turkey are among the lowest regarding per capita generation of CO2. Germany is somewhere middle of the pack.
Let Greta learn some calculus at school instead of sailing the oceans and throwing tantrums at UN
Yes, but China and India barely involve any recycling and eco-friendly politics and technologies.

61 - 80 of 232 Posts