Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
At least Greta is trying to do something, that's much more than what the world's politicians are doing!

Greta is an anagram for great.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Honey, the way things are with climate change and with the outlook we currently have for the future, an extremist would be someone bombing the cars of the most polluting corporations' CEOs. She might be an extremist compared to the average person but since when is the average person a good metric for anything? I mean, so because the average person doesn't care that much about climate change and the catastrophic effects that it's going to have on the world economy in a matter of decades, anyone who deviates from that (moronic) norm is an extremist and worthy of hatred? She is much closer to what the norm should be in a sane world than the average person is.
You seem to be one of those many people who consider it a proven fact that man-made impacts are a deciding factor in climate change.
Of course everybody is free to do so but looking at the current level of scientific knowledge with all its various works I consider it a fact that we're far away from either having an entire picture of the climate system and its relevant factors nor a convincing answer to this question. Only a kind of religious-like belief in the one or other direction makes it imo possible to come to a different conclusion.

In a "sane world", a state we obviously don't live in, it was a matter of self-evidence for every individual, company and society to respect and care for nature, environment, fellow human beings and coming generations. There was not needed a political movement to get such things addressed much less people were hysterically running around while hating and accusing each other in such a context as you can notice these days.
The actual "normal" position imo is to be either a climate change advocate or denier. Ironically it`s mainly not scientific interest or understanding that drives both groups.

The lowest and not so far-fetched point we could come to right now was if we got conditions similar to early so called Communist societies like for instance in China or Cambodia. Brain-washed and misguided kids there in the end were peaching and killing their own parents.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Brαm;81873655 said:
Greta is an anagram for great.
That's actually the best argument I've heard from Climate Change cultists.
Anyway about Greta, whatever, your usual globalist propaganda puppet child, same old same old.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,905 Posts
Why would all the wrinkled old raisins like ys and saraya care about climate change? They won’t be alive 5 more years to see the effects of it.

If this is radicalism, then good, we need radical people to put and end to the acceleration of climate change, and implore the governments of the world to focus on sustainability, because apart from that we haven’t got a prayer for recovering from what we’ve done to the planet.

Last week my friends and I didn’t attend uni to go to a climate strike in Sydney, heaps of high school students (close to exam periods) also skipped school to get our dumbass government to stop killing the great barrier reef, stop building coal power stations and sinking our island neighbours, only for the media to call us lazy for not going to school. Even these extreme actions cannot get through to idiot boomer generations the seriousness of this situation, the point being we‘d rather be getting education than having to save the environment, but we did what we had to do. So yes Greta is a queen, we love her and her iconic breakdowns over climate issues xxx

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,905 Posts
They are the first generation of kids, who grew up without reading a book. They are the first generation of kids who grew up being provided more or less whatever they want. They are the first generation of kids who grew up playing online rather than pn the streets of their towns. They never developed independent thinking, and how would they. They never developed immunity to manipulation and brainwashing. And that's what is happening here. Older generations were more mature and had responsibilities at 12 than these guys at 18. But it's older generations who produced them too. So, it's a fair result.
Did your generation not manage a world war, a cold war, several fascist, communist and capitalist dictatorships that killed millions and millions? Continued to screw up post colonial Africa and Asia, „greed is good“, segregation, opposed LGBT marriage, elected Donald Trump and then killed the earth? Because for all the so called pampering people my age have received, somehow a more tolerant and sustainable generation that is intent on improving the environmental situation rather than further fucking it up.

·
La nuit je mens
86,899 Posts
While I agree with the message (the fact that it is urgent, that something needs to be done and that time is not anymore about planing anything but about panicking, cause it's that serious), I disagree with the use of a teenager for it.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
While I agree with the message (the fact that it is urgent, that something needs to be done and that time is not anymore about planing anything but about panicking, cause it's that serious), I disagree with the use of a teenager for it.
But seriously, she's cringy to listen to.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
You know what‘s cringey? Climate change.

(And attacking 16 year old girls)
I don't attack her. I just describe my impression.

Yes climate change and other ecological problems need to be adressed but using a child is not right either. She's ''small and cute'' so you can't hate her, it is shameless. Moreover that Boat Trip-masquerade is a big fraud that produces a lot of CO2 as in producing this boat and in scheduled flights for the crew.

Also she very conveniently or maybe rather adults who guide her do not address the biggest polluters which are China & India. Her fake outcry that they ''have stolen her childhood'' is also facepalm-worthy when she's living in Sweden.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Yes climate change and other ecological problems need to be adressed but using a child is not right either. She's ''small and cute'' so you can't hate her, it is shameless.
Greta Thunberg didn't go to a casting to be chosen as a cute poster child for an environmental movement. She founded that movement herself.

She's also extremely mature and well spoken for a 16yo, and can handle criticism and answer it. I haven't seen anyone holding back criticism because she is young. In fact, people try to belittle her all the time, but are rarely able to win an argument against her.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
Greta Thunberg didn't go to a casting to be chosen as a cute poster child for an environmental movement. She founded that movement herself.

She's also extremely mature and well spoken for a 16yo, and can handle criticism and answer it. I haven't seen anyone holding back criticism because she is young. In fact, people try to belittle her all the time, but are rarely able to win an argument against her.
Her parents are well-known people in high places in Sweden, it is really not that difficult to picture her being used by her parents, likely by her father.

·
Registered
37,342 Posts
You seem to be one of those many people who consider it a proven fact that man-made impacts are a deciding factor in climate change.
Of course everybody is free to do so but looking at the current level of scientific knowledge with all its various works I consider it a fact that we're far away from either having an entire picture of the climate system and its relevant factors nor a convincing answer to this question. Only a kind of religious-like belief in the one or other direction makes it imo possible to come to a different conclusion.

In a "sane world", a state we obviously don't live in, it was a matter of self-evidence for every individual, company and society to respect and care for nature, environment, fellow human beings and coming generations. There was not needed a political movement to get such things addressed much less people were hysterically running around while hating and accusing each other in such a context as you can notice these days.
The actual "normal" position imo is to be either a climate change advocate or denier. Ironically it`s mainly not scientific interest or understanding that drives both groups.

The lowest and not so far-fetched point we could come to right now was if we got conditions similar to early so called Communist societies like for instance in China or Cambodia. Brain-washed and misguided kids there in the end were peaching and killing their own parents.
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I guess there`s a common scientific sense that global warming actually is taking place right now. This is a little different when you look at this analyse on Cook's work (which concludes that 97% of all scientist are mainly holding man-made impacts responsable for recent climate change).

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048001

In detail there still remain a lot of open questions. For instance about the correlation between carbone dioxide content/temperature in the atmosphere and its actual effect as an heat-trapping gas.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,905 Posts
Her parents are well-known people in high places in Sweden, it is really not that difficult to picture her being used by her parents, likely by her father.
For what gain?? If the gain is primarily to help the environment then good, it is unlikely this will rake her parents in millions of dollars.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
For what gain?? If the gain is primarily to help the environment then good, it is unlikely this will rake her parents in millions of dollars.
For prestige and getting more publicity itself, just like there are parents who are ready to exploit their children in other ways. It's not like Greta provides any viable solutions either and her antics and theatrics don't help in anything actually. Meanwhile they clearly ravage her fragile psyche.

But yes global warming is real, and we're responsible for that and for its negative consequences.

Quotes like:
“You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words.” read out from a piece of paper with her acted anger are over the top, written beforehand, embarrassments. It's a comedy.

Also she does not address some of the main culprits and the elephant in the room that are India & China, conveniently targetting EU that is actually very ecological unlike China or India that do not recycle anything and USA.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,905 Posts
For prestige and getting more publicity itself, just like there are parents who are ready to exploit their children in other ways. It's not like Greta provides any viable solutions either and her antics and theatrics don't help in anything actually. Meanwhile they clearly ravage her fragile psyche.

But yes global warming is real, and we're responsible for that and for its negative consequences.

Quotes like:
“You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words.” with her acted anger are over the top written beforehand embarrassments.
You’re just ridiculous now. No one is doing this for prestige or publicity, Greta has written about how a lot of this was her idea and had no support from her parents. She’s also said she writes her speeches with help from scientists for accuracy. Honestly of all the phoney people in the world, a 16 year old girl writing words like that, is not over-the top. Do some research before accusing people of being puppets of their parents, when there is absolutely no gain and no evidence of that in the first place.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
What is up with her drama-inducing overacting. Is her last name Streep? We need an assertive and eloquent teenage girl to do the job, not her.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
I'm not necessarily agreeing with Perun, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents...
There are not only selfish gains or financial gains. It's more complicated than that. People can be guided to extremes by their virtuous convictions. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". I really don't want to sound patronising, since I too didn't grasp it... Until I did. Broader perspective and understanding you can gain only by growing a bit older. :hug:

41 - 60 of 232 Posts