Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
39,810 Posts
The message she is bringing is so true and something needs to be done, the planet is being destroyed and we must stop!

Even if you don’t like her at least take the message with you, it’s a climate emergency, and the start of a mass extinction! But we can do something about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46,018 Posts
Well, as usual, I sit on the proverbial fence. I see the haters' and lovers' arguments. While I think her intentions and efforts are admirable, saturation has begun and she is in jeopardy of becoming a parody of herself. I think saying her childhood was stolen is going too far.

I am a huge proponent of recycling and saving energy wherever and whenever I can. I see and have experienced climate change and am convinced of it. The changes in severity of weather in the past decade are the most palpable aspect to me. I totally support those who are trying to make a difference and I was glad to see the 'strikes' last week. But I'm fearing the Greta wave is turning into a tsunami and is going to end up causing damage. Let's continue to diversify our attack and not rely so heavily on one child soldier.

·
Registered
38,804 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
She could just as well swim. Who cares. What difference does it make.
The words of the irresponsible and lazy.

·
Registered
28,799 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,821 Posts
Well, as usual, I sit on the proverbial fence. I see the haters' and lovers' arguments. While I think her intentions and efforts are admirable, saturation has begun and she is in jeopardy of becoming a parody of herself. I think saying her childhood was stolen is going too far.

I am a huge proponent of recycling and saving energy wherever and whenever I can. I see and have experienced climate change and am convinced of it. The changes in severity of weather in the past decade are the most palpable aspect to me. I totally support those who are trying to make a difference and I was glad to see the 'strikes' last week. But I'm fearing the Greta wave is turning into a tsunami and is going to end up causing damage. Let's continue to diversify our attack and not rely so heavily on one child soldier.
This wave is just a noise, produced by special corrupted interests. When the things are let go and flow on their own, the climate issues are handled quietly and very efficiently.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-can-renewable-energy-power-the-world/
This idiotic activism, by pumping in psychosis into very manageable issue, will only derail and obstruct things already going into the right direction, I am afraid, as activists always do.

·
Registered
38,804 Posts
Your obsession with bringing Trump into every conversation is SAD :hug:
I guess the OP would be guilty too:

This is why she is my idol:

I loved her speeches and her activism. She's the voice of our generation.
Duhhh. :weirdo: You don't comprehend what you read, do you? Hell, animated images don't even resonate with you. :help:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Greta wouldn't have to do what she does if adults were responsible, if politicians weren't ignoring the consensus of climate scientists, thinking only about the next elections, while CEOs and stock holders only think about the next quarter profits.

Concerning the climate crisis, the world acts like a smoker who knows he will most likely die from his addiction but is unable to quit.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Greta Thunberg is a puppet and is a hypocrite. She's a liar too, especially when she tells ''that I don't want to tell people what to do'' and then proceeds with ''I want this, I want that, I want you ... ''. Greta might not be aware of everything that is going around them, so adults around her are more to blame for milking her. In essence she is for emotional manipulation purposes. She does not propose any solutions, neither she understands what she's talking about I am afraid. She should visit China & India first too, but I guess ... she won't even though these countries are far worse as polluters than Europe & USA combined. But everything is white-people's-fault obviously.

Greta got to New York by the use of a zero-carbon boat as a matter of fact. 0:)

You do realize that it's a scam and that this boat is not ''zero-carbon-emission''? Guess what it's built from and how it will get back ... they will or have already gotten the crew to fly back to take it. :eek: She's not flying but her crew is.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/28/its-all-such-a-scam-guess-how-teen-climate-activist-greta-thunbergs-zero-carbon-yacht-is-getting-back-to-europe/

Sadly, the original is gone but this video can be helpful to enlighten some naive sheep.

A spokeswoman for Team Malizia said it’ll be necessary to fly the crew to the U.S. because the high-profile trip with the 16-year-old Swedish campaigner that left Plymouth on Wednesday was arranged at very short notice.

Holly Cova told The Associated Press by email Friday that “we only have one boat, so they cannot easily sail over to meet them.”

Cova said the team recognizes it’s “an imperfect solution” but believes offsetting the emissions by funding carbon-reducing projects elsewhere “is better than doing nothing.”

·
Registered
37,341 Posts

I can't say I'm a fan in the strictest sense of the word and that speech was indeed rather cringey, but she's doing a great job at waking up the sense of urgency in people everywhere because climate change really is an impending monumental disaster.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
They are the first generation of kids, who grew up without reading a book. They are the first generation of kids who grew up being provided more or less whatever they want. They are the first generation of kids who grew up playing online rather than pn the streets of their towns. They never developed independent thinking, and how would they. They never developed immunity to manipulation and brainwashing. And that's what is happening here. Older generations were more mature and had responsibilities at 12 than these guys at 18. But it's older generations who produced them too. So, it's a fair result.
This is stereotyping at best and a kind of rant that every generation gives to its successors. In fact, no generation has ever been praised by its predecessors and usually think of it in the worst terms. Nothing new here.

Also, "these children never grew up reading a book" is incorrect. The sale of children books have been on steady rise for a long time now, we are talking more than a decade. Your second statement is true only for upper middle class/upper class children and that's true of every generation. Most kids don't get everything they want this also includes an extremely high number of displaced children due to war, manmade famine, refugee crises, corporate projects etc.

And "immunity to manipulation and brainwashing"? What is it even suppose to mean? Only overconfident idiots believe they are too smart to be brainwashed or manipulated. But even if we go along with that sentence,then isn't it the responsibility of parents, grandparents, teachers, community leaders and social workers to offer them choices in life that makes them smarter and wiser? Which is to say, isn't it the fault of previous generation for not exposing or properly educating them?

But children are exposed now, in fact, they are connected to world in a way previous generation couldn't because of the internet.

This is the world that previous generations have made for the kids of today. If the venom has to be spewed here, it is to be against those that have come long before these children.

·
Registered
50,602 Posts
That she wants to help the environment is good :)

But also Thunberg is an angry extremist drama queen :eek:
And I hate radical people. Radical/extremist views are only bad :no:
Yes, I am also sick of her and other environment extremists´ commands :rolleyes:

The environment extremists make so much drama and act like dictators.
Always acting like angels, blaming the others, giving orders. Where is the freedom ???

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,821 Posts
This is stereotyping at best and a kind of rant that every generation gives to its successors. In fact, no generation has ever been praised by its predecessors and usually think of it in the worst terms. Nothing new here.

Also, "these children never grew up reading a book" is incorrect. The sale of children books have been on steady rise for a long time now, we are talking more than a decade. Your second statement is true only for upper middle class/upper class children and that's true of every generation. Most kids don't get everything they want this also includes an extremely high number of displaced children due to war, manmade famine, refugee crises, corporate projects etc.

And "immunity to manipulation and brainwashing"? What is it even suppose to mean? Only overconfident idiots believe they are too smart to be brainwashed or manipulated. But even if we go along with that sentence,then isn't it the responsibility of parents, grandparents, teachers, community leaders and social workers to offer them choices in life that makes them smarter and wiser? Which is to say, isn't it the fault of previous generation for not exposing or properly educating them?

But children are exposed now, in fact, they are connected to world in a way previous generation couldn't because of the internet.

This is the world that previous generations have made for the kids of today. If the venom has to be spewed here, it is to be against those that have come long before these children.
There is no stereotyping here. I mostly referred to things, that are easy to compare.

Books. Most of generation grew up a lot of fiction and history book, that provided a wealth of knowledge in what humanity is and what it was. History and literature of Ancient world, Homer, Herodotus, many more. Medieval history, history of countries, history of arts, history of countries, history of technology, classic literature of 18th and 19th century. My contemporaries averagely read 50K pages on above each by the time they finished high school. We studied things that were just as related to our time that is to this time. Dare to compare the level of common knowledge between generations? That is a foundation of personality. How much of thousands years of humanity have you absorbed in your education years.

I grew up in reasonably prosperous family. Yet, a lot of things, primarily in the most important part of kid's demand - entertainment - were very rationed. Yet, you would almost never hear a nonsense like "I am bored". We embraced every minute of available time with outdoor games, books. We learnt continously. We never got bored. We didn't suicide. How about these kids?

"Immunity to manipulation". Even in USSR, with all its near totalitarian rule, education was a religion, books were a religion, state propaganda and indoctrination - comparing to what it is now with 1000 channels and Internet ' was sandbox level. We read the books, we saw the world, we believed no one, we learnt. Modern kids are so easy to turn into foot soldiers-activists by invisible manipulators, it is scary. You seriously think she is an independent thinker and player, not a pawn? Ok..

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
This is why she is my idol:

I loved her speeches and her activism. She's the voice of our generation.
It's funny, when I saw this earlier I instantly KNEW that someone on TF would gif it and make a thread.

:lol:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
That she wants to help the environment is good :)

But also Thunberg is an angry extremist drama queen :eek:
And I hate radical people. Radical/extremist views are only bad :no:
Yes, I am also sick of her and other environment extremists´ commands :rolleyes:

The environment extremists make so much drama and act like dictators.
Always acting like angels, blaming the others, giving orders. Where is the freedom ???
Honey, the way things are with climate change and with the outlook we currently have for the future, an extremist would be someone bombing the cars of the most polluting corporations' CEOs. She might be an extremist compared to the average person but since when is the average person a good metric for anything? I mean, so because the average person doesn't care that much about climate change and the catastrophic effects that it's going to have on the world economy in a matter of decades, anyone who deviates from that (moronic) norm is an extremist and worthy of hatred? She is much closer to what the norm should be in a sane world than the average person is.

A very sad story to me.
Actually a poor, kind of lost kid with initially honorable intentions.
Strangely idolized in public while being shamelessly used by its surroundings and groups of certain political and economical interests.
Explain those certain political and economical interests.

21 - 40 of 232 Posts