Tennis Forum banner

181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Again, it would have been much eaiser if you watched the videos rather than having me re-type the arguments.
There is a very strong correlation between Earth's temperature and solar acitivity. Coincidence looks almost perfect on charts.

Yes, temperatures and CO2 have relationship as well. Generally higher temperature occurs with generally higher CO2 content.

BUT ! Temperature changes PRECEED CO2 changes by an average of 800 years. CO2 is a result, not the cause of temperature. And the MECHANISM is certian and easy to prove - less CO2 can be dissolved in ocean water at higher temperture. This is an absolute certianty from physical point of view. Unlike the "greenhouse effect" theory, which (curiously) is contradicted by experiments in measuring atmospheric layers temperatures

And 800 years lag is logically explained by inertia of ocean temperature changes in response to land temperature changes.
You of course can find again counter-arguments in public discussion but this is probably the most eye catching physical inconsistency in the apparently leading scientific opinion these days.

Pretty questionable to me also the contribution system of support money mainly for scientific projects with certain defined aims when inevitably political and economical interests come into play.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I'm sure Greta convinced the pig to change her irresponsible ways and to join Paris Accord with commitment of zero farting by 2050

On a more serious note, as some very experienced nutricionist explained to me, the methane generation is a by-product of converting the plant mateiral into live-stock proteins required to build mass.
If the progressive wing of humanity hopes to reduce methane emission by completely bypassing the cattle and consuming the plants directly to convert those into own body weight, they will have to also take on the extra farting job. Alas, net contribution to lowering greenhouse effect will be zero.
Apologies to anybody who was having vegan breakfast while reading the post :wink2:
Humans can't even digest grass which is the natural diet of a cow and AOC/Greta is wrong to blame cows for increased methane in the athmosphere.

There's a lot of discussion around the amount of methane that cattle produce by digesting their food. But what if the pasture was just left to decompose? How would the amount of methane produced by the two compare?

We went to Christine Baes, associate professor in the department of animal biosciences at the university of Guelph, for the answer.

She said that it's important to note that methane is not released by the cows themselves, but the bacteria in their gut. Similar bacteria also exist in the environment and produce methane in wetlands, rice fields and landfills.

The actual amount of methane released from a single blade of grass wouldn't change if it was just left to decompose, or if it was eaten by a cow and then digested by the bacteria in their gut.

The only difference is that the methane would be released more quickly by a cow or other ruminants (animals that acquire nutrients from plant-based foods with the help of microorganisms).

The amount of methane that different bacteria release (whether in a cow's gut or in the field) is still unknown at this point, but is an area of ongoing research.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-2-2019-the-goodness-paradox-secrets-in-poop-converting-carbon-to-coal-and-more-1.5037008/do-cows-produce-more-methane-than-rotting-grass-1.5037019

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Humans can't even digest grass which is the natural diet of a cow and AOC/Greta is wrong to blame cows for increased methane in the athmosphere.
The thing is that cows in industrial agriculture are being fed corn-based feeds that make them produce more methane than it would be otherwise. Yes, forced animal husbandry and breeding such animals is disadvantageous directly or indirectly to those living in wild. We don't need to eat as much meat as we do. Even fully vegan diet can be healthy if done right.

·
GIMME SHELTER
47,996 Posts
who cares? The point is scientists agree that this climate change is strongly influenced by humans. We are killing the planet. And this is the critical moment to change something. Even if the chances are slim we should use any possibility left. How can you say that destroying whole ecosystems, killing off species, putting tons of wastes everywhere (eventually to our food) is OK and people protesting against it are controlled puppets? FFS.

:hi5:

·
Registered
32,690 Posts
I really hate her.
Because of the older generation this poor bored is able and have the time and the money to do what she do..
Hating a child trying to speak her truth. You should be ashamed.
Her speech is probably the scariest shit I've seen in recent years. Her parents should be ashamed of themselves.
Should they keep her silent and locked in a room because of the sound of her voice?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I am kind of on the fence here. I am quite liberal but I really despise veganism and think it's very unhealthy based on what I've seen from people who actually tried it. :tape:

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
The thing is that cows in industrial agriculture are being fed corn-based feeds that make them produce more methane than it would be otherwise. Yes, forced animal husbandry and breeding such animals is disadvantageous directly or indirectly to those living in wild. We don't need to eat as much meat as we do. Even fully vegan diet can be healthy if done right.
To put that in a little wider context -
The main thing in our relation to nature is that we hardly have one (anymore). We use it as a means to an end, increasingly intensive and that`s it.
Regarding for instance animals it meant that we started realizing what they actually are.
They are not just food, methan producers, natural enemies, pets whatever but they are so to say also our brothers and sisters.
The only way to sustainably change our perception and behaviour imo was first of all to seriously review a few of those holy cows that rule our minds. As long as Materialism and Darwinism define and limit science and our thinking it`s actually impossible that anything can change.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Say what you will about her lack of qualifications and experience, but more people than ever are paying attention to the climate crysis just because of her message. Whereas they just shrug it off when scientists and experts issue warnings about where the planet is headed.

Vancouver had a very poorly attended rally 2-3 weeks ago. Today Greta is in town and the center of the city is packed with tens of thousands of people who are here to hear her speak.

Climate change fighting queen :worship:

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
Greta "finally" reached the Pacific Coast. Gotta love how the whole world is following her teenage soul-searching walkabout.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Greta "finally" reached the Pacific Coast. Gotta love how the whole world is following her teenage soul-searching walkabout.
She's probably had many rallies bigger than a certain inauguration :eek:h:

She is just a symbol - not some authority or expert on climate change - so it's pretty fitting that she is part of the young generation that is blameless and is inheriting this mess that experts say we are very likely in. I wish people would rally behind the leading experts who have been talking about this for years too, but it is what it is. These days people need twitter, facebook and reddit to blow up with memes before taking note.

181 - 200 of 230 Posts