Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to make a recommendation. The next time you get a chance, check out Taylot Dent. He plays a style you just don't see anymore. He's a chip and charger. He blocks back 90% of his groundies with slice, and he goes for the net on the first short ball. This is a style that more than a few players used in the 70's. I haven't seen it in 20 years, not as relentlessly as he uses it. I think he only hit about 20 topspin or flat groundies the whole match.

I'm not saying you'll become a massive Taylor Dent fan or anything, but it's very educational. It's an approach to countering big power we rarely see anymore.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's a family thing ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
lol... I think it is boring... :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I watched some of his match and was amazed at his net play. He is very good at neutralizing his opponent's power. He was even playing pretty well without his big serve but his opponent was extremely consistent and just too solid.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't really care for Dent's style of play. He's all big serve and no groundies. He rushes to the net without having hit an approach shot that's worthwhile. The good players have caught on to him which is why he never gets beyond the second or third round. They know if you return his serve you can beat him because he can't move.

He loves to serve hard but, if he's going to do well he's going to have to learn to do something other than serve hard. He likes to brag that he has the fastest serve ever recorded but he fails to mention that that particular serve was against Andre Agassi and Agassi returned it and won the point. :eek:

He's been a professional for several years now and he's still around 114 in the world. Young players like Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Blake, etc. have rushed passed him in the rankings. He is also injured a lot, mostly because he's so out of shape.

He's still very young but he has a lot to learn if he wants to get up there with the other young guys.;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like his game and it was really interesting watching him nearly beat Hewitt at Wimbledon last year. His game is still developing though, it always takes longer for a serve and volleyer to come into his own.

·
Banned
692 Posts
I havnt seen him play much, but for one game. Yes hes a very 70-80s style player. But if he wants tog et up wid da young guns prehaps he should loose some weight coz hes quit a fat chubby oaf!!! and maybe do more to his game then rather work on his serve!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Last year at Wimbledon I saw this Mark Philippoussis look-alike! And this guy was sooo good! And he had this HUGE serve! I immediately became a fan...Two days later I found out THAT was Taylor Dent! :cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah he trys all that and its nice to see...too bad he can't get a personality. I saw him live at the US Open...he was a big whiny ass snivelly little brat. It was unreal....and I agree....he is basically a serve....his attempts at serve and volley is noble, but we'll see what develops...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts