Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the ranking soon? They have retired. Why are they still listed? They removed Steffi within a couple of weeks after she retired. I'm not trying to criticize these retired players, but it seems a little dumb to leave them there--it makes other players seem lower ranked than they really are, like Lisa Raymond for instance. In the newspaper's Austrialian Open line-up I read, they are listed in the Top 20 focus list with their backgrounds and results, and then reason for not playing in this one is listed in both instances as "retired." Well, lol, if they are retired, why are they listed?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the player has to personally ask to be removed. I know Steffi asked to be removed from the rankings immediately. And she was.;)

·
Banned
692 Posts
They should be automativally removed straight away, whats the point os staying there when they arent gonna play no more>!>!>!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, I guess the rules are a little strange.

The truth be known, I don't particularly care for Nathalie Tauziat. For Sandrine, Julie and Amelie to all turn against her, I guess I'm not alone, (j/k :) )! It was bad enough I had to see her name in the Top 10 during the last two years of her career, now I'm going to have keep looking at it in the Top 20 for several more months even after she's gone, lol! No offense intended to Tauziat fans, it will be a testament to how good she was in her last year (*Celeste bitterly chokes down some crow*), but it seems like a strange rule!

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Rankings are a representation of performances over the past 12 months; therefore if a players result merit that standing they should stay IMO. Also, if Tauziat or Huber decided they wanted play a few tournaments later in the year, it wouldnt be fair to have them unseeded if their ranking would have merited it. (Not that that´s likely to happen, but anyway...)

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
well...

Surely they should be removed fairly soon. If we kept the players there Pam Shriver would still be in the top 20 ;)

(Or even Ann Jones;););))

·
Registered
336 Posts
i kinda agree with jonbcn
in steffi case she ask for
'cos she didn't wanna see
her rank drop by
who know maybe tauziat gonna play
wimby again ;)

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
It's very strange that players have to ask to be removed!
I remember when Sabine Appelmans was retired and she was still on the rankings, she rised :confused: how weird!

·
Registered
600 Posts
They don't remove the players for good reason. Suppose they removed them a few months ago, but Tauziat recently wanted to play on the tour again. Would it be fair to her to start at challengers again?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
it's not strange at all, the players are included in the ranking if they have played 3 tournaments or more, therefore if the player retires she will still be in the rankings until she has less than 3 tournaments.

When players retire, some times they make a forma annoucement, some times they don't, who is the WTA supposed to know?, obviously if the player wants to be removed she just have to ask.

Besides, what if a player retires and then decides to come back?, she might want to keep her ranking in that case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts