Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16129&bannerregion=

Tatiana Panova is taking her teaching skills to the Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education Academy in Philadelphia. The 30-year-old Moscow native, who has competed on the WTA Tour since 1994, has been named a teaching tennis professional at Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education, the non-profit organization that provides year-round programs for 10,500 Philadelphia-area kids each year.

AAYTE Executive Director Scott Tharp said Panova, 30, who has competed in the US Open, Wimbledon, French Open and Australian Open, will focus her teaching on AAYTE’s High Performance and Academy level players, boys and girls who display high potential and compete in competitive tournaments locally, regionally and nationally.

"I am most pleased to start my new career as a teaching pro with Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education," Panova said. "This Philadelphia program is known and admired throughout the country. I am happy to be a part of it and look forward to working with so many talented and highly motivated young people."
Tharp said Panova’s international credentials and playing experience will pay significant dividends for the boys and girls under her guidance.
"AAYTE is privileged to have Tatiana join our outstanding staff of tennis pros. I know her love for the game will serve to encourage our kids to reach their tennis potential," Tharp said.

Panova, a veteran of the Advanta Women’s Championship, provided Philadelphia area tennis fans with a memorable first round victory over 8th seeded Jelena Jankovic last year. She recently moved to Philadelphia. Panova was born in Moscow and played on the Russian Federation Cup Team in 1997, 1999, 2002 and 2003. She was ranked as high as No. 20 by the WTA in singles and No. 15 in doubles. This year, she played in the Richard Luton Properties Canberra International in Canberra, Australia; Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis, TN; Australian Open in Melbourne; and Qatar Telecom German Open in Berlin. Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education is the nation’s only tennis facility exclusively for children. The new $12-million AAYTE Center at Ridge Ave. and School House Lane in Philadelphia’s East Falls section, has 16 tennis courts, a library, computer labs, arts and crafts room, state-of-the-art training room and dressing rooms.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Good luck to Tatiana in her new career. :) I'm sure she'll do well as an instructor.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
YEY!!! Welcome to Philadelphia Tati. :wavey:
We've always loved you here.
Your last WTA main draw win was here last year.
Although Jankovic was sick at the time, it's still a win.
I think I have my hobby for the fall. :devil:
I've volunteered for Arthur Ashe before and it's only a mile away.
I hope they put the paint down on the courts...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Who's tatiana panova?

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
:eek:

Tatiana :hug: :sad:

but :bounce: I might get to talk to her sometimes, I have been there many times and will probably see her some time in the future :D

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Who's tatiana panova?
Tatiana Panova was a Russian before it was the "IN" thing on tour.
The women is barely 5-2 and stocky.
Her favorite shot is the volley, in her case it would be the overhead.
Oddly she never was that good in doubles.
She moved well around the court and her favorite surface was grass.
Her best slam was Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It was time :). She had a very solid career, with some great achievements (top-20 comes to mind). Her body just wasn't cooperating anymore, and that's when you know it's time to move on. Good to see that she is staying in tennis :yeah:. She'll be a great addition to the teaching staff :yeah:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
seems like many old names are about to retire. somehow i feel kinda sad about this news.

good luck Tatiana! i will miss you a bit. :kiss:

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,414 Posts
Good luck to Tatiana in her new venture, nice to see her putting her career resume to good use in helping others to develop their games further.

Never was one of my most liked players on tour personally, but I respect any player who can retire saying they really made the most of their talent and ability - There's no question Tatiana did so. :)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Good luck to Tatiana.

I used to play tournaments at the Arthur Ashe Center. Maybe I'll go back sometime now that she's there.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
The article says the academy is in the East Falls section of Philadelphia, but isn't it in Manayunk?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts