·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone cares...

Tarik and Andy End Working Relationship

by: Staff

BOCA RATON, FL -- 6/2/2003 --

Andy Roddick has announced his decision to split with his coach Tarik Benhabiles after a four year relationship that saw him win 6 titles and reach a career high ranking of 5 for the year of 2003.

"I credit Tarik with my success," Roddick commented "It has been an honor and a privilege for me to have him as a coach. Tarik has steered me through the amateur rankings and to my current level of professional tennis. He has been my mentor both on court and off."

Roddick went on to state "However, it has come to a time in my growth and development that I need a fresh voice. Tarik and I have decided on equal terms to end our professional relationship while continuing our friendship. I wish him the best ."

...I wonder who his new coach will be?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Didn't expect that. After reading his post-match interview in RG, one that he stood up for his coach, I was starting to respect him a little. Little do I know, that is all but an act, typical Andy.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Heck we all knew that when DH refused to answer questions about changing his coach.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Excuse me while I laugh out loud. Bwahahahahahaha!!!! After getting all pissy at his press conference, he finally dumps Tarik. Too funny :D

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
His new coach will be Brad Gilbert, Agassi's former coach...at least from now until Wimbledon.

Here's the article on ESPN:

Roddick to work with Gilbert for Wimbledon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Andy Roddick has split with coach Tarik Benhabiles days after losing in the first round of the French Open and will reportedly work with Andre Agassi's longtime coach Brad Gilbert, at least temporarily.

"I credit Tarik with my success," Roddick said on his Web site. "It has been an honor and a privilege for me to have him as a coach. Tarik has steered me through the amateur rankings and to my current level of professional tennis. He has been my mentor both on court and off."

Roddick hasn't set up a permanent relationship yet with Gilbert, who recently told ESPN that if the right call came he would consider it.

"I don't think the decision has been made to move forward with a new, permanent coach," Roddick's agent Ken Meyerson told the International Herald Tribune. "I'm glad Brad has agreed to work with Andy the next three weeks."

Last week after losing in the first round of the French Open for the second consecutive year, Roddick addressed the issue of a coaching change.

"Every time I lose, it's a coaching change," Roddick complained. "I love it. You guys just won't quit.

"No, I mean, my coach didn't lose the match. He's smart. I'm the one losing the matches. We've been together for four years; he's the perfect fit. But there's not much you can do from the stands when your player's playing like crap."

Roddick has won six ATP titles but has failed to take the next step by winning in a major. Roddick's best showing came at this year's Australian Open where he advanced to the semifinals before losing to Rainer Schuettler. He also has reached the quarterfinals at the U.S. Open the past two years. Last year, Roddick reached the third round at Wimbledon before losing to Goran Ivanisevic.

Brad Gilbert was in London and not immediately available for comment.

·
Registered
573 Posts
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :mad:

wtf is Gilbert wasting his time with Dick for!!! I want him for Marat!!! :fiery:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Good move by Andy IMO--He wasn't getting anywhere lately w/Tarik...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
where are all those twits who said he shouldn't change his coach and that he's got so much respect for him,yada,yada???

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I feel badly for Tarik. :( Maybe Tarik will coach Marat now. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts