Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-uma-thurman-harvey-weinstein-kill-bill-car-crash-new-york-times-1202278988/

DEADLINE: That New York Times article in which Uma Thurman finally told her story was a gut punch for anyone to read. Particularly because the allegations against Harvey Weinstein were overshadowed by footage of the car accident she endured on Kill Bill. Since it was all bundled into her accusations of sexual assault against Weinstein, there seemed to be a connective subtext of male anger toward a woman, and the idea she was pressed to ‘just get in the car and do this.’ Thurman said she didn’t want to drive the car in that scene after someone told her it wasn’t up to snuff, and then we see that crash footage which is very upsetting.

TARANTINO: Which is footage that I gave her.

DEADLINE: What was your initial reaction when you read that piece?

TARANTINO: I knew that the piece was happening. Uma and I had talked about it, for a long period of time, deciding how she was going to do it. She wanted clarity on what happened in that car crash, after all these years. She asked, could I get her the footage? I had to find it, 15 years later. We had to go through storage facilities, pulling out boxes. Shannon McIntosh found it. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t think we were going to be able to find it. It was clear and it showed the crash and the aftermath. I was very happy to get it to Uma.

The thing is, Uma had people she wanted to indict, for that cover-up. Part of my job on the piece was to do an interview with Maureen Dowd, and back up Uma’s claims. And we never hooked up. Me and Dowd never hooked up. I read the article and basically it seemed like all the other guys lawyered up, so they weren’t even allowed to be named. And, through mostly Maureen Dowd’s prose, I ended up taking the hit and taking the heat.

DEADLINE: Fair to say that when you gave Uma that footage, you expected it to be a visual aid in this article?

TARANTINO: I figured that eventually it would be used whenever she had her big piece. Also, there was an element of closure. She had been denied it, from Harvey Weinstein, being able to even see the footage. I wanted to deliver it to her, so she could look at it. So she could see it and help her with her memory of the incident. I never talked to Uma about this, but I don’t exactly know exactly what cause the crash, and Uma doesn’t know exactly what cause the crash. She has her suspicions and I have mine. I thought, if I get this footage to her and she puts it out there in the world, that a crash expert can look at it and determine exactly what happened on that road.

DEADLINE: You watched the footage published within the article. What’s your feeling?

TARANTINO: See, all that is old news. I saw the footage when I found it. Seeing it in the article didn’t do anything. Let me get right to what I want to get across. What happened that day that Uma got into that crash.

I remember this day very well. It was one of the last days of the shoot, and up until this point it was a great day. It was the second day of filming the Michael Parks scene, the Esteban Vihaio scene. He was amazing in the scene and so was Uma. Literally, the last shot of the day was going to be this driving shot. We wrapped up the Esteban Vihaio scene and we were very happy about it. It was in a weird dubious Mexican Cantina, and that was kind of exciting. We even had a New Yorker reporter, Larissa MacFarquhar, who almost went with us to the next shot. But since it was the last shot, and none of us thought it would be a big deal, she went home.

I start hearing from the production manager, Bennett Walsh, that Uma is trepidatious about doing the driving shot. None of us ever considered it a stunt. It was just driving. None of us looked at it as a stunt. Maybe we should have, but we didn’t. I’m sure when it was brought up to me, that I rolled my eyes and was irritated. But I’m sure I wasn’t in a rage and I wasn’t livid. I didn’t go barging into Uma’s trailer, screaming at her to get into the car. I can imagine maybe rolling my eyes and thinking, we spent all this money taking this stick shift Karmann Ghia and changing the transmission, just for this shot. Anyone who knows Uma knows that going into her trailer, and screaming at her to do something is not the way to get her to do something. That’s a bad tactic and I’d been shooting the movie with her for an entire year by this time. I would never react to her this way.

Instead, what happened was, I heard her trepidation. And despite that we had set up everything in this shot, I listened to it. What I did was, I drove down this road, this one lane little strip of road with foliage on either side, in Mexico. I drove down it, hoping against hope that it would be easy and safe enough for Uma to drive. So we’re going down the road and I’m looking at it, watching it and I thought, this is going to be okay. This is a straight shot. There are no weird dips, there were no gully kinds of things, no hidden S-curves. Nothing like that. It was just a straight shot.

Uma had a license. I knew she was a shaky driver, but she had a license. When I was all finished [driving], I was very happy, thinking, she can totally do this, it won’t be a problem. I go to Uma’s trailer. Her makeup person, Ilona Herman was there. Far from me being mad, livid and angry, I was all…smiley. I said, Oh, Uma, it’s just fine. You can totally do this. It’s just a straight line, that’s all it is. You get in the car at [point] number one, and drive to number two and you’re all good.

DEADLINE: Didn’t she have to drive fast?

TARANTINO: The idea was for her to drive around 30-45 mph, just to get the hair blowing. With all the foliage on either side, her driving 35 would seem like 60. But there were no obstacles, it was a straight shot.

I came in there all happy telling her she could totally do it, it was a straight line, you will have no problem. Uma’s response was…”Okay.” Because she believed me. Because she trusted me. I told her it would be okay. I told her the road was a straight line. I told her it would be safe. And it wasn’t. I was wrong. I didn’t force her into the car. She got into it because she trusted me. And she believed me.

So, it’s decided she would get in the car. I had not heard about anything about a guy from transpo saying that the car didn’t work. Which would be a strange thing for a guy from transpo to say, because they’re the ones responsible for delivering safe vehicles. If a guy from transpo had something to say about an unsafe car, he should be telling the First AD, the production manager or the producer. Uma goes off to get ready. I go off, after my trip and talking to Uma, to number one, ready for her to show up. I arrive and then a question develops.

Would it be okay if we had the car drive the opposite direction? Because the lighting would be better because it was the end of the day. I’m guessing on this, but let’s say we were going to do the car from east to west? Could we go from west to east? It didn’t affect the shot. I didn’t see how it would affect anything. A straight road is a straight road.

We changed our number one, so the car would be driving in the opposite direction from the way I had gone down. And that was the beginning of where the crash happened.

DEADLINE: You road tested it one way, and she drove the reverse way. It seemed from the footage that there was a twist right before she hit the tree.

TARANTINO: That is exactly what happened. I thought, a straight road is a straight road and I didn’t think I needed to run the road again to make sure there wasn’t any difference, going in the opposite direction. Again, that is one of the biggest regrets of my life. As a director, you learn things and sometimes you learn them through horrendous mistakes. That was one of my most horrendous mistakes, that I didn’t take the time to run the road, one more time, just to see what I would see.

She showed up, in a good mood. We did the shot. And she crashed. At first, no one really knew what happened. After the crash, when Uma went to the hospital, I was feeling in total anguish at what had happened. I walked the road, going the opposite direction. And in walking the road, going in the other direction…I don’t know how a straight road turns into an un-straight road, but it wasn’t as straight. It wasn’t the straight shot that it had been, going the other way. There is a little mini S-curve that almost seemed like it opened up to a mini fork in the road.

That is just not the way it looked, going in the opposite direction. Maybe the opposite direction there was kind of an optical illusion. This other way, there’s a little bend and if you look at the footage, that’s where she loses control. She’s flying along, and she thinks it’s a straight road and as far as she can see, it is a straight road out her windshield. And then it takes this little S-curve, and she’s not prepared for it. And it throw the car out of control.

[---------- snipped ----------------]

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMO he's being sincere about this.

1 - He didn't have to give her the footage. He could have just made it disappear and lied about it.
2 - He overtly lays out that he is responsible for making her change her mind and believe the car was safe.
3 - He overtly lays out that the road was not as straight going the other way and that he hadn't checked that. Again he didn't have to offer that info.
4 - He touches on what I've been wondering since the story broke - who was responsible for modifying and checking the car.
5 - I also agree that there was nothing in the set-up that would be seen as a stunt.

Is he responsible? IMO it depends. If whoever had responsibility for the car assured him it was safe across the board then no. If they assured him that it was safe for a straight road then yes. But either way my take is that it wasn't caused by a "f**k this I don't care if it's safe she need to just drive the f**king car" attitude.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
I believe him, he doesn't hide the parts that he is the blame or try to deny things

·
Registered
747 Posts
IMO he's being sincere about this.

1 - He didn't have to give her the footage. He could have just made it disappear and lied about it.
2 - He overtly lays out that he is responsible for making her change her mind and believe the car was safe.
3 - He overtly lays out that the road was not as straight going the other way and that he hadn't checked that. Again he didn't have to offer that info.
4 - He touches on what I've been wondering since the story broke - who was responsible for modifying and checking the car.
5 - I also agree that there was nothing in the set-up that would be seen as a stunt.
TL;DR for argument above: Man spoke to publication, therefore he was sincere.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for argument above: Man spoke to publication, therefore he was sincere.
Are you trolling by intentionally distorting what I posted? Or are you really unable to grasp what I expressed?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Are you trolling by intentionally distorting what I posted? Or are you really unable to grasp what I expressed?
Or maybe you are really unable to grasp deductive logic? I am about to lose my TT match, don't try me, I am not in the mood. Uma Thurman gave her side of the story, Tarantino gives his side of the story, then you proceed to validate his side based on the following:

1. Not understanding the pros of handing the footage (e.g. getting control of the story, gaining credibility, painting himself as benevolent, etc) and the risks of disappearing it or being unhelpful (negative publicity, not having an argument to defend himself, etc).

2. Assuming that admitting to one thing means that he is willing to admit to all things.

3. Refer to 2.

4. Confirmation bias.

5. Your non-expert opinion on what qualifies as a stunt, and somehow it having anything to do with Tarantino's attitude towards Uma Thurman.

This is what Uma Thurman said: “Quentin came in my trailer and didn’t like to hear no, like any director,” she says. “He was furious because I’d cost them a lot of time. But I was scared. He said: ‘I promise you the car is fine. It’s a straight piece of road.’”

Their statements about the events are super contradictory in terms of his attitude. I don't have a dog in this fight, but actually found it amusing that you opened up a thread to vouch for HIS sincerity, HIS side of the story, when all the evidence you have to support your point is 1) what he said to a publication and 2) your feelings.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or maybe you are really unable to grasp deductive logic? I am about to lose my TT match, don't try me, I am not in the mood. Uma Thurman gave her side of the story, Tarantino gives his side of the story, then you proceed to validate his side based on the following:
[--].
Try you? :haha: Spare me the wussy idiotic defensive theatrics. And your mood is your own issue. Deal with it.

That sorted, there are two choices to your original response. I laid them out. As for logic, lol, we can all employ terms but your posts are the ones that show none. Almost everything you wrote is contextually nonsensical. But I can't be bothered to point-by-point. I'll just cut to the chase.

You claim I " validate his side." A claim which reinforces my "are you trolling or unable to comprehend" post.

What I stated is that I think he's being sincere. First, that's an opinion. Opinions don't validate or invalidate anything. But even if they did, that someone is being sincere in telling what they recall doesn't even mean their memories of events 15 years ago are clear or accurate. And it certainly doesn't speak to whether they are responsible or not.

Oh and I'll also point out that your last statemnet again shows a lack of comprehension.
Thurman: He said: ‘I promise you the car is fine. It’s a straight piece of road.’”

Tarantino: "I came in there all happy telling her she could totally do it, it was a straight line, you will have no problem. Uma’s response was…”Okay.” Because she believed me. Because she trusted me. I told her it would be okay. I told her the road was a straight line. I told her it would be safe. And it wasn’t. I was wrong. I didn’t force her into the car. She got into it because she trusted me. And she believed me."

And to your mood-addled mind that's a contradiction? :lol: SMH

A sensible approach would have been to read the article and post your own thoughts about it. Instead you decide to stir sh*t for no good reason. So go nurse your wonky mood and stop bothering me with your high stupidity.

·
Registered
47,497 Posts
So this 15 year old story is her Me Too moment?

SN: I've always thought QT was an asshole, and I'm surprised more hasn't come out about him. But I just don't understand the significance of unearthing this minor incident so many years on.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
x
34,517 Posts

SN: I've always thought QT was an asshole, and I'm surprised more hasn't come out about him. But I just don't understand the significance of unearthing this minor incident so many years on.
I'm pretty sure an incident where she still suffers from pain after surviving that ordeal is more than just "minor".

·
Registered
202 Posts

Her Me Too moment is a sexual assault incident with Weinstein. She implies in the NYT article that Tarantino was abusive to her, spitting on her face, nearly paralyzing and even killing her, on the set of a Weinstein film at the bidding of Weinstein.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
Uma played a video and a massage in her Instagram saying she doesn't blame him and he was remorseful and gave her the evidence and film back then even when he know it can hurt him

Reactions: floki and JaySix

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Uma played a video and a massage in her Instagram saying she doesn't blame him and he was remorseful and gave her the evidence and film back then even when he know it can hurt him
How could it hurt him? Because he thought a woman could drive a car? It's easy to say afterwards that they should have used a double.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Tarantino is one of those creepy people, like Bill Cosby, that you never know why you get the creeps. Then years later it all comes clear.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
How could it hurt him? Because he thought a woman could drive a car? It's easy to say afterwards that they should have used a double.
No idea, uma said so in her account that he gave her the material even if it could hurt him

Ask her not me ;)

·
Registered
47,497 Posts
I'm pretty sure an incident where she still suffers from pain after surviving that ordeal is more than just "minor".
Her Me Too moment is a sexual assault incident with Weinstein. She implies in the NYT article that Tarantino was abusive to her, spitting on her face, nearly paralyzing and even killing her, on the set of a Weinstein film at the bidding of Weinstein.
I see. Yes, I have read more about it and stand corrected.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Aaaaand although unrelated to the topic at hand, I'll be eagerly awaiting for your certification of Tarantino's sincerity when he gets around to responding to this:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...aced-audio-13-year-old-wanted-have-it-1082174

:kiss:
Idk, I am just gonna leave this right here: The Wrap | Tarantino apologizes to Polanski's rape victim 15 years later.

Fifteen years later, I realize how wrong I was. Ms. Geimer WAS raped by Roman Polanski. When Howard brought up Polanski, I incorrectly played devil’s advocate in the debate for the sake of being provocative.

IMO he's being sincere about this!!!! :bigclap::angel:

·
Premium Member
19,766 Posts
If he went to great lengths to give her footage that she requested that would incriminate him I don't see how he's trying to hide anything. Anybody else would've tried to bury that information. I think Directors are often times pushy and want to get something done quick. It was a mistake to have Uma drive the car, should've used a stunt double but I don't see this as a MeToo moment. It seems people are getting carried away now.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think Tarantino should get off so easy if he tries to absolve himself of the blame like "I didn't know about the seat" and didn't get assurances to make no doubt that the car was safe to drive. People passing the buck "I thought he meant that? ..." and "I didn't know they'd do that. ..." etc. is not acceptable for getting off scot-free for what happened.
If the crew told him that the car was safe then he bears no responsibility. That isn't passing the buck. Directors are not the ones who check equipment. OTOH if he didn't verify its safety with the crew and get a solid thumbs up then yeah it's on him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts