Tennis Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA (TICKER) -- Top seed Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand rolled into the semifinals, but No. 7 Nathalie Dechy of France was upset Thursday at the $110,000 Canberra Women's Classic.

Tanasugarn swept past sixth seed Patty Schnyder of Switzerland, 6-2, 6-4, as she tries for her first career WTA Tour title.

"I just could never find my game, my rhythm," said Schnyder, who lost to world No. 3 Venus Williams at last week's Australian Women's Hardcourt tournament. "Everything I tried was just out. You have such days in matches. It's just the kind of match you have to forget."

Ranked 29th in the world and seeded 26th at next week's Australian Open, Tanasugarn will face Lilia Osterloh of the United States in Friday's semifinals.

Osterloh outlasted Dechy, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, in a 2 1/2-hour match. Dechy had a chance to serve for the match with a 5-4 lead in the second set but produced three consecutive double faults.

"She double-faulted three times in a row and I definitely didn't expect that," said Osterloh, who reached the quarterfinals at five tournaments last year but had not gotten to the semifinals since 1999 at Oklahoma City.

Australian qualifier Amanda Grahame rallied past Hungary's Petra Mandula, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, and will face Israel's Anna Smashnova in the semifinals.

Coming off a victory at last week's ASB Bank Classic, Smashnova rolled past France's Emilie Loit, 6-3, 6-0.

Ranked 280th in the world, Grahame took advantage after Mandula pulled a stomach muscle midway through the opening set.

"I suppose it's because there's no pressure on me," said Grahame, who already has earned a wild card into the Australian Open.

This event, which offers a $16,000 first prize, is one of the final tuneups for the Australian Open.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts