Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally abysmal stuff from Genie.

She has zero confidence still. She sets up a point well, gets the short ball, incredible hesitation, and error.

She used to just pull the trigger in days gone by on those shots. Days long gone. :sobbing:

She got lucky Zhu hurt her back early in the second set.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Eugenie was clearly emotionally fragile during this match. Whatever she is experiencing personally is creeping in her game. Otherwise, the talent is there and we saw some rare glimpses of it today. This is clearly the bottom for her, she is either going to quit tennis altogether or will pull herself together and come as a changed person.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
These jackpot 100 points over the past month might just save Bouchard's career. Nothing to defend til Madrid and she's kept herself within shouting distance of the top 100.

A sensible schedule would involve vulturing cheap ITF points now, let's see what she does.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
These jackpot 100 points over the past month might just save Bouchard's career. Nothing to defend til Madrid and she's kept herself within shouting distance of the top 100.

A sensible schedule would involve vulturing cheap ITF points now, let's see what she does.
She received a bagel on the ITF tour last year, so I don't agree that's the way to go. Sometimes players get themselves into such a bad place that dropping down a level doesn't solve matters i.e AKS.

I'm not sure what's going on with Genie. She payed well in Madrid last year, showed flashes during the AO and Sydney 2017 too... Who knows if she'll ever get it together again.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
She received a bagel on the ITF tour last year, so I don't agree that's the way to go. Sometimes players get themselves into such a bad place that dropping down a level doesn't solve matters i.e AKS.

I'm not sure what's going on with Genie. She payed well in Madrid last year, showed flashes during the AO and Sydney 2017 too... Who knows if she'll ever get it together again.
AKS did turn it round in ITFs though. Winning two 25Ks in the middle of last year turned her year around - she got into USO qualies, won an 80K in the autumn and returned to Slam MDs in Australia.

But then she had no choice because no one was offering her WCs left and right.

Going back to the ITFs should be Bouchard's ONLY option right now. It's sheer undeserved luck that she has any other choices.

·
18,250 Posts
AKS did turn it round in ITFs though. Winning two 25Ks in the middle of last year turned her year around - she got into USO qualies, won an 80K in the autumn and returned to Slam MDs in Australia.

But then she had no choice because no one was offering her WCs left and right.

Going back to the ITFs should be Bouchard's ONLY option right now. It's sheer undeserved luck that she has any other choices.
It's not Genie's fault she's marketable and gets wildcards into WTA events. Why should she turn them down and the appearance fees that come with it and mingle with trash on the ITF circuit?

·
Stanning for Andi
20,884 Posts
It's not Genie's fault she's marketable and gets wildcards into WTA events. Why should she turn them down and the appearance fees that come with it and mingle with trash on the ITF circuit?
Ooh, I don't know. Maybe because she's 2-9 since the US Open with one of those wins coming via retirement?

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Get those wins Genie :yeah:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Personally I see Andreescu taking over the Canadian number one by the end of year. I guess it must be mental with Bouchard now, who knows. I don’t think she really discovered adversity before her massive fall in 2015. Remains to be seen if she can get things together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts