Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SYDNEY

Last week Venus Williams proved to be to much for the other players by winning the first tournament in the new IWTT in Adelaide. This week we head to Sydney to play the last tournament before the Australian Open. The winner of this prestigous Tier 1 Event will help decide the favorite going into Melbourne

Singles Draw to appear here:
(1) Farina ELia vs. Bye
Sprem vs. Sharapova
Kracijek vs. Hingis
(3) S.Williams vs. Dementieva
Golovin vs. (4) V.Williams
Peng vs. Li
Molik vs. Capriati
(2) Suarez vs. Davenport

Doubles Draw to appear here:

Points due Wednesday
Make doubles Teams
write articles for Bonus Points

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bonus Points:
Farina Elia: 4 points
V.Williams: 2 points

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First ROund:
Sprem vs. Sharapova* 6-2,6-2
Kracijek* vs. Hingis 3-6,3-6
(3) S.Williams vs. Dementieva* 7-6(0),6-2
Golovin vs. (4) V.Williams 5-7,7-5,4-6
Peng vs. Capriati* 6-2,6-2
Molik* vs. Li 2-6,2-6
(2) Suarez def. Davenport* 6-3,6-4

*Did not send points, points made -20,-20,-20

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quarterfinals:
Farina Elia def. Sprem 7-6(5),7-6(5)
S.Williams def. Hingis 4-6,6-4,7-6(1)
V.Williams def. Peng 7-6(3),3-6,6-3
Li def. Suarez 6-4,6-4

Congrats winners

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Venusismyhero said:
Why doesn't Venus get 4 pts?
Because at the time I posted it you only wrote one article, but I gave you the 4 points :wavey:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Venus stretches to Semis
Adelaide Winner moves on

Venus Williams volleys during her match against Peng Shuai of China. Venus beat Tatiana Golovin in the first round then Peng in the quarterfinals. She next face Li Na, also of China.
Venus Williams' confidence is rising since winning her first event last week in Adelaide over Silvia Farina-Elia. She first defeated Tatiana Golovin of France in the first round 7-5,5-7,6-4. Williams hit a total of 44 winners to 32 unforced errors. The next match proved tougher against two-fisted Shuai Peng of China.

"In the quarters vs Shuai, I definatly was challenged and forced to come up with different plays in order to help me win" said Venus, who knows that it only gets more difficult as the event rolls on.

She barely escaped Shuai by winning 7-6(3),3-6,6-3. Venus trailed in the first set 2-5 but faught back to 5 all, then each player held serve until the tiebrake, when Shaui steamrolled 3 winners to go up 3-0, but Venus fired back by acing her twice. Then Venus just stepped up her play to take the tiebreak 7-3. But Shuai kept fighting and took it to Venus by breaking her once in the second to force a third. But Shuai looked out of gas serving at 3-4 when Venus charged net 4 times and won the game at love. Venus then served out the match and advanced to the semifinals where she'll meet Li Na, another Chinese player.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
S.Williams def. Hingis 4-6,6-4,7-6(1)

Serena Williams moves on into the semifinals with that win over Martina

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
24,118 Posts
Farina Elia Makes Semis!!

Italian top seed Silvia Farina Elia advanced through to the semi finals of the tier 1 tournament here in Sydney with another victory over Croatian Karolina Sprem 7-6(5) 7-6(5). Last week Farina Elia took out Sprem in three sets and so far, every set has gone to a tiebreaker, with the top seed taking 4 out of the 5. In the semis, the Adelaide runner up takes on the Adelaide champions sister - Serena Williams for a place in the final.

Farina Elia said 'I have been happy with my form since the tour returned, I have played solid tennis and came through the matches well apart from the match with Venus last week but everything is preparation for the Slam next week and I am ready. Serena plays simular to Venus, so I will have to be careful but I think I can defeat her and make another final on the IWTT circuit!'

·
Registered
20,008 Posts
Dementieva already retired..

Why did she still play a match? :confused:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JoeyyJ said:
Dementieva already retired..

Why did she still play a match? :confused:
It was some one else who joined as Dementieva

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Williams/Williams for doubles

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Semifinals:
Farina Elia def. S.Williams 6-2,7-6(0)
V.Williams def. Li 7-6(5),2-6,6-2

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
24,118 Posts
Rematch For Farina Elia!

Top seed Silvia Farina Elia made it through to another final on the IWTT circuit with victory over American Serena Williams in two sets 6-2 7-6(0) to set up the final against Serena's sister Venus - a repeat of last weeks final where Williams came out on top.

Farina Elia comments after the match against Serena 'Today was possibely my best match back. Serena came at me in the second set but I responded and knew the tiebreaker was mine! Playing Venus in the final tomorrow will be interesting because she defeated me last week and knowbody (apart from Capriati) beats me twice in the row! Victory will be mine!!!

Seriously thought, its good to have a rival on the tour and hopefully it will continue going into the Australian open next week and hopefully I can win one after making sooo many finals'

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Venus reaches Sydney Final

Venus Williams waves to the crowd after defeating Na Li in 3 sets. She faces Silvia Farina-Elia in the final, again!. Go Venus!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Singles Final:

Farina Elia...0
V.Williams...0

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Farina Elia...1